It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 505, 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 511 ... 1160  Next

Re: Richard Lidljohns Column

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:46 pm 

Thanks for the plug, Fflaps.

Not only was some of the stuff in today's column recycled from his book and the paper in 2010, the stuff about the walking co-ordinators appeared back in 2009 too.

Littlejohn even makes jokes about how often he recycles his material in his books. Doesn't give a stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:20 pm 

MacGuffin wrote:

Quote:
There is one original thought in the piece, where he claims that Haringey Council advertised someone to "teach Asian women how to play hopscotch", something that, despite being utterly bonkers-sounding - has never been reported anywhere else, not even in the Daily Mail. Nowhere on the internet is there any mention of hopscotch lessons for Asian women in Haringey, or of anyone being employed to provide them.

However, in the neighbouring borough of Camden there IS the Hopscotch Asian Women's Centre, which provides support and advice on issues such as domestic violence. Surely even Littlejohn couldn't be stupid enough to think the Hopscotch Asian Women's Centre provided hopscotch lessons to Asian women? Could he?

That was originally mentioned by Brian Mawhinney at a Conservative party conference (back in 1990 something) when he used it as an example of 'The Looney Left' only to be told that it was a Home Office funded project.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:29 pm 

Tom_MKUK wrote:
Quote:
"If all else failed, there was always the Guardian jobs pages on a Wednesday to dig me out of a hole."

I think we can all think of a non-job in the field of journalism that was advertised in there recently...

Considering all the 'Guardian type' people who are out of work now, what with the public sector cuts, i think you will find it pretty competitive Dick.
That is your name isn't it, Dick?*

Quote:
Fairtrade coffee and Jaffa cakes all round.

What the hell is wrong with this man?

*Thanks to Die Hard II (Die Harder)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:33 pm 

AshleeK wrote:

Can't help but feel that Littlejohn jizzed himself at the thought of being able to put up a picture saying 'Poofters'.

:|

If that's the case, i'm a little concerned as to what that object on the top right of the Church is...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:17 pm 

culfy wrote:
MacGuffin wrote:

Quote:
There is one original thought in the piece, where he claims that Haringey Council advertised someone to "teach Asian women how to play hopscotch", something that, despite being utterly bonkers-sounding - has never been reported anywhere else, not even in the Daily Mail. Nowhere on the internet is there any mention of hopscotch lessons for Asian women in Haringey, or of anyone being employed to provide them.

However, in the neighbouring borough of Camden there IS the Hopscotch Asian Women's Centre, which provides support and advice on issues such as domestic violence. Surely even Littlejohn couldn't be stupid enough to think the Hopscotch Asian Women's Centre provided hopscotch lessons to Asian women? Could he?

That was originally mentioned by Brian Mawhinney at a Conservative party conference (back in 1990 something) when he used it as an example of 'The Looney Left' only to be told that it was a Home Office funded project.

Yeah, that's the provenance. To be fair, you couldn't google in those days- you had to go to the extreme lengths of phoning up to check things.

There's a good (if conservative) bit in a Bill Bryson book about a building he didn't like in Oxford. How many people had to be stupid or lazy for the thing to get built? Same with this finding it's way into a Cabinet Minister's conference speech, I'd have thought.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 pm 

Quote:
she was living in a suite at the Carlton Tower Hotel, in Knightsbridge, for the past couple of years.

I thought that level of accommodation was usually only available to Afghan asylum seekers.

Yarls Wood Asylum Seeker Centre

Carlton Hotel Suite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:03 am 

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
There's a good (if conservative) bit in a Bill Bryson book about a building he didn't like in Oxford. How many people had to be stupid or lazy for the thing to get built? Same with this finding it's way into a Cabinet Minister's conference speech, I'd have thought.

I bet I know what building it was too. The Business School near the station. The building itself is fine, but for reasons of sheer pretentiousness and snobbery they stuck a modern "spire" on it to be like the universities. So now you have a mainly oblong, angular, modern building with a copper stack of boxes diminishing in size on top of one side. It looks like someone left a giant pile of mouldering presents on the roof.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:53 pm 

jguazu wrote:
Quote:
she was living in a suite at the Carlton Tower Hotel, in Knightsbridge, for the past couple of years.

I thought that level of accommodation was usually only available to Afghan asylum seekers.

Carlton Hotel Suite

Thats more like it! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:14 pm 

IanC wrote:
jguazu wrote:
Quote:

Carlton Hotel Suite

Thats more like it! :wink:

Look closely and you'll see Rastamouse and his crew among the cushions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:32 pm 

crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I bet I know what building it was too. The Business School near the station. The building itself is fine, but for reasons of sheer pretentiousness and snobbery they stuck a modern "spire" on it to be like the universities. So now you have a mainly oblong, angular, modern building with a copper stack of boxes diminishing in size on top of one side. It looks like someone left a giant pile of mouldering presents on the roof.

Good guess but the book was before that was built, I think. He meant something by Merton Street. I like a lot of the modern buildings in Oxford, but he might have a point here that this street is worth keeping olde worlde.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 pm 

Merton Street is, the Said Srs Bznss School is in a much more modern part.

I can't recall seeing anything ugly near Merton Street, other than some accommodation half way up for some college, probably Merton or CC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:23 pm 

I'll dig it out.

So what do you reckon from Littlejohn tmrw? Yuman Rights? Will he bother to look up anything about the Court?

The Times reckons Cameron will be running next time on withdrawing from the Court. Seeing he's already squeezed the Mail vote by spending cuts, I assume he thinks he might as well lose the more liberal part of his vote.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:03 am 

His latest column is real cutting edge stuff calling for the BBC to scrap Question Time because they don't allow enough Daily Mail readers in the audience. When the BBC invite him to take part these days he can't be bothered. Must be the thought of the 8 hour flight that puts him off.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:30 am 

That piece doesn't so much whiff as stink of sour grapes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:42 am 

Lets see how the 'Littlejohnnies' like a bit of recycling...

Quote:
Sadly, the plain truth is that this column should be put out of its misery. It is a relic of a less enlightened age, a carthorse in a cyberspace world. Every attempt to make it more ‘relevant’ only succeeds in making it look more ridiculous. For me, Question Time lost all credibility when it wheeled out that ludicrous ‘cutting edge’ has-been columnist from the Daily Mail dressed as Friar Tuck.

Bertram Gussett, The Real Middle England.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 505, 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 511 ... 1160  Next