It is currently Sat May 28, 2016 12:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Benchmark of Quality

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Benchmark of Quality
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:31 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
Dirty Des says that the Express, apart from being the World's Best Newspaper is a benchmark of quality.

So try this for quality size - it's Nathan Rao

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/49 ... rld-Sunday

Quote:
SUPERMOON LIVE: Beautiful lunar event could trigger 'END OF DAYS'

A CAPTIVATING phenomenon TODAY could trigger the end of life as we know it in an explosion of earthquakes, killer plagues and volcanic eruptions.

But wait, there's more...

Quote:
The SUPERMOON will light up the sky in a beautiful spectacle this evening - a phenonmenon which has already begun in parts of the world.

But the event may also act as a catalyst to Earth's terrifying and dramatic conclusion, according to ancient legend.

Lunar activity is said to mark the END OF TIME, with some religious groups believing it to be a sign of the JUDGEMENT DAY.

It occurs when the moon’s path of orbit leads it to sweep dangerously close to Earth causing tides to rise and the crust of the planet to shift.

Then Nathan gets all religious on us

Quote:
The Bible gives terrifying warnings of impending doom signalled by rare and foreboding cycles of the moon.

Joel 2:10 states: “Before them the earth quakes, the heavens tremble, the sun and the moon grow dark and the stars lose their brightness.”

In Acts 2:20 it is written: “‘The sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood before the great and glorious day of the Lord shall come.”

Revelation 6:12 warns: “I looked when He broke the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon became like blood.”

Joel, by the way, is a Jeremiah-like book in the Hebrew Bible.

Post subject: Re: Benchmark of Quality
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:01 pm 

:lol: :lol:

The Express, and Nathan Rao in particular, is no longer distinguishable from parody. They're just taking the piss out of their readers now, surely?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:14 pm 

Para 19
Quote:
“We shouldn’t be too worried about legends and the end of the world, there may be an effect on the high tide although the storm this weekend will probably have more of an impact.”

Quote:
Rev Jonathan Blake, Bishop of Greater London, last night sought to allay fears over an impending armageddon.
“People should be sorting out their problems rather than running to silly ancient texts.”

A novel view of Christianity and the Bible for a bishop surely?
I thought that Nathan had left the Express.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:19 pm 

Now freelancing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:26 pm 

Desmind's idea of a benchmark of quality is his company's profit line.

I would show Footie the opinion polls and he would say 'No you're wrong. There were a thousand people at my meeting last night and they all cheered.' I'd say yeah but there are 122,00 outside saying you're crackers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:30 am 

It's just braggardly bluster from a bully with a big bark, isn't it? See also: "World's Greatest Newspaper".

It is quite tragic to see grown men behaving in this manner.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:38 am 
Yay

I bet Nathan Rao is one of those people who stands around town centres with a "THE END IS NIGH" sign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:41 am 

Location: Immigrant-bashing, woman-hating, Muslim-smearing, NHS-undermining and gay-baiting 'r' us.
Quote:
mexyz 3 hours ago
Hi,
Everything has an end, but the sausage has two.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:42 am 

Either that or it's a deliberate strategy to make the Express seem like a friendly paper by running goofy weather stories and appealing to the same sort of mindset that makes people watch those deliberately rubbish disaster movies ("Sharknado" etc). And then slotting in some ultra right-wing hatred once they've finished laughing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:20 pm 

Nathan Rao has penned yet another apocalypse piece...

Quote:
SHOCK ASTEROID WARNING: Planet earth faces 100 YEARS of killer strikes starting in 2017

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/50 ... estruction

Dissected here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... earth.html

Quote:
a ridiculous article appeared in the UK tabloid Express, claiming that the Earth “faces 100 YEARS of killer [asteroid] strikes starting 2017.”

How do I phrase this? That claim is really really really really really wrong. Really.

The author of this article, Nathan Rao, has a history of writing reality-impaired articles;

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:38 pm 

He's steadily working his way up through the catastrophic disasters.

Where's he going to go after this? Gamma Ray Bursts? A collision with a rogue planet? I hope he hasn't seen "Melancholia".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:18 pm 

He'll be striking fear in to the hearts of all those Express readers who realistically see themselves hanging on for the next two-and-a-half years.

Both of them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:05 pm 

Quote:
Hi-tech spy planes join hunt for IS Jihadis' captives

SPY planes bristling with the most advanced technology are being used in British skies to hunt down the associates of “Jihadi John”

Quote:
The planes carry electronics so sensitive that they can detect heat coming off a keyboard after a button has been pressed.

Through at least one ceiling, roof insulation, roof tiles, and a few miles of air (possibly moving)?
Right....

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/513 ... associates

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:18 pm 

Arnold wrote:
Quote:
Hi-tech spy planes join hunt for IS Jihadis' captives

SPY planes bristling with the most advanced technology are being used in British skies to hunt down the associates of “Jihadi John”

Quote:
The planes carry electronics so sensitive that they can detect heat coming off a keyboard after a button has been pressed.

Through at least one ceiling, roof insulation, roof tiles, and a few miles of air (possibly moving)?
Right....

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/513 ... associates

I'm calling bullshit on that, you'd need to know the precise location of the keyboard t get any sense form it.
And most laptops have their keyboard right on top of a significant heat source.

But let's take a moment out and assume it is true.
If it's anything like hot-spot in the cricket, we'll see folks adding a thin glaze of vaseline to their keyboards.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:08 pm 

Quote:
Black Death was 'triggered by ASTEROID impact and could reoccur TODAY', scientist claims
He said: “We have discovered that around this time there was some sort of major event and I am proposing this could have been an extra-terrestrial impact.

“This would have caused a corruption of the atmosphere, something major like that, which made the population highly susceptible to disease.

And nobody recorded this major event? Although I seem to recall having read something long ago about abnormal weather preceding it

http://www.express.co.uk/news/history/5 ... scientists