I have updated the forum guidelines. For a short while, I'll keep this topic open to allow people to suggest amendments or additions...
1. You are here with our permission. You do not have a god-given right to post on this forum. So please follow these guidelines – there’s not a lot, and it’s a small amount to ask for the relative freedom you have to post on here.
2. Debate is encouraged and welcome. Please do not let it turn into a flame war. If someone posts something against the rules, report the post. If they are just getting on your nerves, but sticking within our (rather permissive) guidelines, add them as a foe and you will never need to hear from them again.
3. All posts are the opinion of the poster. However, we may remove content that we think could get us into trouble.
4. Please do not claim to represent the site. You represent yourself only.
5. For avatars and signatures, please remember that people browse these forums at work, so do not make them too risqué.
1. There are no guest accounts. Users must register in order to post.
2. All registrations require moderator approval, in order to reduce spam registrations. In addition, certain email domains are not accepted. Please try to use an alternative email address if yours is not accepted.
3. Occasionally, I may accidentally think you're a spammer and not approve your account. If this happens, try and re-register by putting some info in your registration details that will put it beyond all doubt.
We try to minimise any interference in what people are allowed to post. However, please bear the following in mind:
1. There are no censored words. However, please try to keep bad language to a minimum, and preferably not in giant text (people do like to browse these forums at work)
2. Posting pornography or encouraging illegal acts is not permitted.
3. Spamming or advertising is not permitted. You can, of course, promote your own websites where relevant to the discussion.
4. Please bear in mind any legal issues regarding the content you post. We will remove content that we think could get us into trouble.
5. Do not insult other users. It's not kind, it doesn't make you a big internet tough guy, and it only causes arguments.
6. You should try to avoid derailing threads. Sometimes, discussions naturally progress away from the original topic, and that's fine. Do not post unrelated content to try and stop other members having a discussion.
7. Try to avoid deliberately causing offence. While certain jokes or retorts might not be against the rules, consider that they may be offensive to certain people.
8. The majority of people here share similar views on politics, economics, the media, etc. This is not news to us, we know...there's no need to post purely to tell us. If you have views that are different from many people here, expect many arguments against your views. If you can't handle that, try not to get into much of a debate. If you can, be ready with statistics and news sources to back up your assertions (this goes for both sides!)
The forum staff are on hand to keep the board running smoothly, and can answer your questions. They are:
Merk is the site owner, but is a very busy man, so isn't always here to look over the forum. Most questions can be dealt with by the rest of the staff, and can be passed on to him by us, if neccessary.