It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next

When will he resign?
Poll ended at Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:55 pm
Sunday (today) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Monday (tomorrow) 100%  100%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 11

Re: Liam Fox

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Liam Fox
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm 

Or they could criticise bosses for not paying higher wages.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:47 pm 

I think if Liam did that he'd soon find his paymasters were less willing to cough up. The rampant egotism of this man is genuinely astonishing though, as is the fact he still gets treated with such reverence by the media. Not only has been exposed as utterly corrupt, but he doesn't even have any economic credentials to speak of (besides telling the Tory Taliban what it wants to hear).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:22 pm 

Alex Massie's been on good form over the last couple of days.

Quote:
Strivers vs shirkers? Give me a break. Most people are neither. Most people don’t want to set up a business of their own. Most people just want a decent job, some security, and the promise that government will try and make things a little easier than they used to be. A square go for the ordinary bloke, so to speak.

So what does Liam Fox talk about? Inheritance tax and capital gains tax! Heckuva way of showing how “in touch” you are! Perhaps the inheritance tax threshold should be increased. But it is difficult to see how the person benefitting from the inheritance has really earned it. It certainly does not seem to require much “hard work” of the sort praised by Dr Fox. Similarly, I doubt scrapping Capital Gains Tax is the kind of policy liable to prove popular or demonstrate this is a government sympathetic to the struggles of the ordinary man or woman.

I suppose the Prime Minister could take Dr Fox’s advice. Perhaps Mr Cameron fancies leading the Tories to an historic defeat.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massi ... ic-defeat/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:59 pm 

new puritan wrote:
Alex Massie's been on good form over the last couple of days.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massi ... ic-defeat/

Holy crap, what a brilliant article, and in The Spectator, home of James Delingpole and other such nut-jobs, yet!

I'm seriously impressed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:01 pm 

Massie's a libertarian right? He has written some really good stuff in the past. However, I don't agree with everything he writes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:32 pm 
Lord of Flangebury-Under-Scythe

Fox said that ringfencing is only useful when there's plenty of cash. That makes sense.

Why this corrupt bell-end is given the time of day let alone print space and airtime is beyond me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:34 pm 

Why the hell have sections of the press let Fox off the hook over his crooked behavior?

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:04 pm 

Littlejohn's brain wrote:
Why the hell have sections of the press let Fox off the hook over his crooked behavior?

Fox knows who is friends are and he's their man, a proper Tory willing to stand up for real 'freedom' like Maggie. Unlike Cameron who the likes of Murdoch consider weak and unworthy of plutocrat support.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 pm 

I bet the media are trying to big him up for a leadership bid

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:40 pm 

smod wrote:
Massie's a libertarian right? He has written some really good stuff in the past. However, I don't agree with everything he writes.

Yes. But he is at least a consistent one rather than a hate-filled clown a la Delingpole. Needless to say I frequently disagree with him but he is often worth reading.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 pm 

Well, if the Tories by some miracle do elect Fox as their leader - another tosser of a right wing ideologue with a personality vaccum, it's large ones all round. I'd be more than happy with a re-run of IDS's car crash leadership.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:49 pm 

Abernathy wrote:
Well, if the Tories by some miracle do elect Fox as their leader - another tosser of a right wing ideologue with a personality vaccum, it's large ones all round. I'd be more than happy with a re-run of IDS's car crash leadership.

With the fragrant Theresa Might as co-pilot? That would be most delightful.

(Although I would reckon that she would well advised keep her landing gear up until May 2015 and then take an uncontested run at the leadership proper.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 am 

It'd be ideal really. A caretaker politician holding the reigns until the Ledge is brought in near the 2020 election. He'd be out of the firing line and thus saved from any awkwardness like public scrutiny.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:41 pm 

I sometimes wonder whether the Thatcherite ultras like Fox realise that they're playing with fire by blathering about what they define as aspiration whilst pulling the ladder up behind them and their mates. Didn't the August 2011 riots give them any pause for thought? It's really not a good idea to encourage people to aspire to stuff whilst depriving them of the means of achieving their goals.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:56 pm 

Aspirations? I have no interest whatsoever in owning a house. Law-abiding, employed and paying taxes. Who speaks for me? Certainly not the corrupt Dr Fox.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next