It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

THE MAIL VERSUS SOCIAL WORKERS

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:53 am 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l#comments

It does make you think.

Television and film all have examples of hard working heroes. ...Soldiers, Police, Nurses, Doctors, Sailors, Customs officers, even journalists... and the list goes on.

I can't think of any social worker examples......I wonder why ?

Bob, Windsor England, 5/12/2008 1:40
Click to rate Rating 20

I put his rating down to 20. Still, it's depressing that 21 people agreed with the utter crap spouted by this self-opinionated armchair 'expert'. Its been said before but if social workers do something they get accused by the Hate Mail of being over zealous. If they do nothing they get castigated as incompetent. Funny how the Daily Mail goes on and on in its preachy, nauseatingly sanctimonious, oleagineous way about how broken and crappy the UK is (of course all down to NooooLab) yet it's strangely unaware of how its the vile poison its spews out relentlessly is equally harmful to 'this once great country', making it it a nastier, more reactionary, jugmental place. The Mails witch hunts, campaigns and relentless bullying are hardly shining examples of the morality it so self-righteously trumpets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:55 am 

Oops - spelling and grammar fell by the wayside (and I was educated under Conservative governments!) in my rant. I got carried away. It should be 'Mail's' and 'judgmental' of course, although I like the word jugmental :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:16 pm 

This story is written in a really deceptive way. I don't know exactly what went on or how much the neighbour or social services really knew, but they use some real sleight of hand here. The opening two paragraphs say this:

Quote:
Social workers were told three times about the terrible conditions endured by Shannon Matthews before she was kidnapped by her own mother, it has emerged.

The nine-year-old was drugged to stay quiet, denied food and regularly beaten by her mother Karen in the years leading up to her disappearance.

That sort of implies that the neighbour knew about all that stuff, but later in the article we discover that's simply what came out in the trial. So what did this neighbour report to the social services? This is the entirety of the quote from the neighbour, actual accusations highlighted:

Quote:
Miss Wilson told ITV News: 'The warning signs were there six years ago that she [Shannon] needed help.

Social services failed her. Issues were being raised six years ago that something was not right. She needed help. I know I wasn't the only one that was telling them.

I know the school knew, I know, I even contacted the education authority because I was running out of places to ring up and say look, something's going on.'

She added: 'Lads used to lean out of the window, drinking smoking and swearing. You could hear Shannon crying. The stereo was blaring 24 hours a day and you could hear crying on top of that.

'Dirt was caked on the soles of her feet like cement. She'd always flinch back from you if you were trying to get a smile out of her.'

So, there was swearing, smoking and drinking in the house, done by 'lads', some crying, loud music, and dirty feet. Oh, and she didn't smile at her neighbours. Now, while that's probably not a great environment for a child, none of it is evidence of a crime being committed, abuse, or an indication that Karen Matthews would later stage a kidnapping to try and make money. So what did social services do? From the headline:

Quote:
...but social services did nothing

Quote:
...in a shocking echo of the council failings revealed in Haringey, North London, by the Baby P affair, nothing appeared to be done

Yet later in the article we discover that she was placed on, and later removed from, the child protection register, and that the council "commissioned a 2003 psychological report into Matthews which found her ability to protect her children was compromised by her inability to place her children's needs above her own".

So, it sounds like the authorities did intervene, but eventually found nothing serious enough to warrant further action. Years later, the situation changed, but just because Shannon wasn't immediately re-homed doesn't mean this was always going to happen. It's so easy with hindsight, but when you're making decisions about intervening in and potentially splitting up families it's surely incredibly hard, not something I'd want to do. You'd need to be pretty damn certain.

It must be horrendous to be a social worker right now, after the recent cases. Imagine having to work in such a field, and then having shit like this becoming the prevailing view of your profession:

Quote:
Gee, what a surprise. Social services fails again. I'd like to know three things: (a) Where do they find these people; (b) What sort of training do they get: and (c) Is it time to fire the trainers and the workers and get people who actually care and actually know what they're doing.

Quote:
'Lessons must be learned'. How many times are we going to hear that phrase? The trouble is, as long as the relevant boxes are ticked on the appropriate forms the social services job is done to them.

Quote:
Not a surprise that social services didn't bother, perhaps they were too busy finding reasons why a divorced dad shouldn't have residence of his kids or investigating a mum who smacked her child for being naughty. When people raise concerns in really serious cases nothing seems to get done, shannon mathews, baby p, victoria climbie etc., begs the question are they really fit for purpose?

Let's have some evidence-free accusations!

Quote:
If this had been a "nice" middle-class family the Social Services would have pounced like glutton wolverines at the first hint of anything amiss, whether substantiated or not.

Rating of +47 for that one. Someone attempts to stick up for them a bit:

Quote:
Here we go again - trying to put the blame on social workers again. When will you get it in your head that social services are making complex and subjective judgements every day and if they err on the side of caution and take a child into care you are the first to criticise.

...and gets a -44 for his troubles. Although one guy did managed to get some sense through AND get a positive rating (+21):

Quote:
Think about this, if Social Services were to take children into care from every 'unsuitable' parent then we would have tens if not hundreds of thousands of children in care. Wouldn't we all feel a little threatened if the Social Services could come in the night and take your kids, because there was a possibility that you might go off the rails six years hence.

Karen Matthews fooled the whole country for a month, you can hardly blame social services for being taken in as well, and six years earlier at that.

- Paul Wilson, Bristol, 5/12/2008 7:57

Let's give the final word to the someone who recognise the REAL problem in this so-called society: political correctness gone mad.

Quote:
I am sorry to have to say this. But if the Social Services were less PC, children like Shannon and baby P could be fostered or adopted even.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:15 pm 

Of course, one could argue that Karen Matthews is a product of the Tory government throughout the '80s and '90s, and therefore her failings are their failings, but perhaps that's little trite. Anyway, she did what she did and she's going to jail for it, and her kids will probably be better off without her around. But if you think that will be the end of the matter then think again. The Mail has its full 'dossier' to reveal over the coming days/weeks, and then, when there is nothing more to say about Karen Matthews, the vitriol will shift to other 'people like her'.

I agree that Social Services are in an impossible position, massively overworked and under-resourced, but I think if there's one message that I could drill into Mail-readers' heads then it's this: BAD STUFF HAPPENS ALL OVER THE WORLD. IT ALWAYS HAS DONE AND IT ALWAYS WILL. And considering what goes on in some parts of the world I think we don't do too badly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:47 pm 

Quote:
Gee, what a surprise. Social services fails again. I'd like to know three things: (a) Where do they find these people; (b) What sort of training do they get: and (c) Is it time to fire the trainers and the workers and get people who actually care and actually know what they're doing.

Yes, where do they find these people who can't see into the future???Something must surely be done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:12 pm 

(Dave, could you please not put your subject lines all in capitals? It's annoying to me, and probably others too. Cheers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:01 pm 

My comment missed the cut

Quote:
I hope you are all prepared for tax increases to fund a new huge army of social workers to sort this out. At this rate of vilification, nobody will want to be paid to do social work on an annual salary of about a fifth of what some mediocre footballers earn in week. Think about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:51 pm 

sven945 wrote:
(Dave, could you please not put your subject lines all in capitals? It's annoying to me, and probably others too. Cheers)

Block caps are harder to read, especially for dyslexic people because they bugger up shape recognition. So block caps = politically incorrect I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:37 pm 

Adrian wrote:
sven945 wrote:

Block caps are harder to read, especially for dyslexic people because they bugger up shape recognition. So block caps = politically incorrect I suppose.

NOW CAPITAL LETTERS ARE BANNED (AND GUESS WHO'S PAYING FOR IT).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:38 pm 

Quote:
I am sorry to have to say this. But if the Social Services were less PC, children like Shannon and baby P could be fostered or adopted even.

Yeah, PC Liebour bastards would probably abort them all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:05 pm 

The thing is, at the moment, Social Workers are the bane of all evil. Six months ago it was knives on the street. Before that something else. This will pass just as everything else does, but for a while everything you see will be bashing them.

To give the Mail some credit, they aren't the only ones doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:16 am 

It's cost the money going into these services is paltry when considering what they have to do.

It's not a failure of the service but a failure of underfunding, and that does not just mean the government but past government's.

And what is Mr Cameron's position on funding social services and so on, well the only funding he promised to keep in place is the NHS funding. So on his basis the funding would be reducedon all other services, leaving the hope that Baby P may be the last child to suffer fanciful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:50 am 

Ah, but you're forgetting, St Dave won't be to blame, it'll be Scrooge Mc Stalin McBroon McBottler who'll be at fault for that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:10 am 

Sorry about the caps - it was purely unintentional. Apart from anything else they look like DM headlines, although I don't know how to make them red just to emphasise the point.

Of course, I blame Gordon Brown and NooLab for this mistake, just like GB and NooLab were behind the Titanic disaster, the sinking of the General Belgrano, the Black Death, the invasion of starlings that's causing problems in Rome at the moment, the stock market crash in 1987 and generally everything bad that has happened since the dawn of time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:00 am 

Dave wrote:
Sorry about the caps - it was purely unintentional. Apart from anything else they look like DM headlines, although I don't know how to make them red just to emphasise the point.

Of course, I blame Gordon Brown and NooLab for this mistake, just like GB and NooLab were behind the Titanic disaster, the sinking of the General Belgrano, the Black Death, the invasion of starlings that's causing problems in Rome at the moment, the stock market crash in 1987 and generally everything bad that has happened since the dawn of time...

Wasn't the sinking of the Belgrano a GOOD BRITISH THING.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next