It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Re: Private Eye

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Private Eye
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:48 pm 

Location: 'An English seaport town, principally remarkable for mud, Jews and sailors' – Dickens
Andy McDandy wrote:
Oh yes, and the "Body X has done something. Couldn't have anything to do with member of body X knowing someone on body Y, eh?" attitude that Ezinra identified. Sometimes that's the case. But not always.

Quite. But the reader's reaction, after a while, becomes identical: they're all at it, these politicians and businesspeople, so to hell with the lot of them. This attitude is disabling — if they're all at it, there's nothing we can do to stop them, and Private Eye certainly isn't going to be at the vanguard of any kind of revolution, it's too busy making fat jokes about John Prescott. But it's also dishonest: public figures spend a lot of time doing good or neutral work, but to read Private Eye you'd think they spent all day sitting around a table getting pissed, patting each other on the back and contemplating how best to defraud the taxpayer / ratepayer / consumer.

In its own way, Private Eye is as relentlessly negative and destructive as the Mail. It sneers, it bullies, and it doesn't really like dissent or debate. Which is a shame, because it also produces a lot of excellent journalism.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:04 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
oboogie wrote:
And yeah, Spurt Are Troops!

Is that the EDF Cheryl Cole Division motto?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:16 pm 

ezinra wrote:
Andy McDandy wrote:
Oh yes, and the "Body X has done something. Couldn't have anything to do with member of body X knowing someone on body Y, eh?" attitude that Ezinra identified. Sometimes that's the case. But not always.

Quite. But the reader's reaction, after a while, becomes identical: they're all at it, these politicians and businesspeople, so to hell with the lot of them. This attitude is disabling — if they're all at it, there's nothing we can do to stop them, and Private Eye certainly isn't going to be at the vanguard of any kind of revolution, it's too busy making fat jokes about John Prescott. But it's also dishonest: public figures spend a lot of time doing good or neutral work, but to read Private Eye you'd think they spent all day sitting around a table getting pissed, patting each other on the back and contemplating how best to defraud the taxpayer / ratepayer / consumer.

In its own way, Private Eye is as relentlessly negative and destructive as the Mail. It sneers, it bullies, and it doesn't really like dissent or debate. Which is a shame, because it also produces a lot of excellent journalism.

I think it does call out the good guys more than you say. Called to Ordure often deals with Select Committee hearings, where MPs are at their best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:24 pm 

So, take everything with a pinch of salt, basically?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
See also ABC of Reliability

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:25 pm 

Location: 'An English seaport town, principally remarkable for mud, Jews and sailors' – Dickens
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Called to Ordure often deals with Select Committee hearings, where MPs are at their best.

I don't like that column at all. To me, it reads like Quentin Letts with a smaller thesaurus: more interested in caricature than policy. The pantomime aspect of Private Eye is something I don't much care for.

As Althea says, most of it should be taken with a pinch of salt. The difference with Fleet Street is that its blind spots are the editors' and writers', rather than the proprietor's and advertising department's.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:41 pm 

In light of legal action against certain bloggers I am grateful to the Eye for supplying my latest signature

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:53 pm 

Echoes of the brilliant Dennis Potter (who said he'd love to shoot Rupert Murdoch if he didn't have so many other things to do before dying). How I miss him.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:04 pm 

Colin Dexter is a seriously good bloke.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5