It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:36 am 

Are we seeing this?

The thin blue (rinse) line: How Mad Mullah Brunstrom recruited OAPs to crack down on speeding drivers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

because of this??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7038552.stm

how odd....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:51 am 

Outrage as publicity-mad chief constable says 'ecstasy is safer than aspirin'

first outrage of 2008...just as weve gotten over our hangovers this gets em screaming for murder!"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... rtComments

If you or I went round shouting that heroin was safe, we'd be in the slammer in abour 30 seconds flat. Is there a special law for Chief Constables?

- Doug, Glasgow

no mate there re all full so ud get off with a warning...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:29 pm 

Quote:
In terms of toxicity, ecstasy in its purest form is relatively harmless when compared to aspirin - which can (in some cases) lead to health complications such as strokes. Ecstasy can cause problems related to low seratonin levels in the brain, but only after years of prolonged use. In the short-term it has been proven that ecstasy is relatively harmless, a fact that Mr Hickley would have realised had he bothered to read some medical journals on the subject. The truth of the matter is, the majority of ecstasy deaths arise from the tablets being contaminated by poisons such as strychnine - a problem that would be eliminated if the drug were legalised and regulated - or complications arising from the user drinking more than a pint of water in an hour and subsequently suffering from H2O poisoning. The assertation that ecstasy can kill at "any dose" is not only misleading, but completely and factually inaccurate.

- Ross, Belfast, N.Ireland

This one I broadly agree with, but the H20 poisoning thing seems a little suspect. I was under the impression that drinking excessive water when on ecstasy can be dangerous, but surely not actually poisonous? I seem to dinly recall it ws something to do with causing the brain to swell, but it's a while since I read seriously about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:12 pm 

Adam wrote:
Quote:
In terms of toxicity, ecstasy in its purest form is relatively harmless when compared to aspirin - which can (in some cases) lead to health complications such as strokes. Ecstasy can cause problems related to low seratonin levels in the brain, but only after years of prolonged use. In the short-term it has been proven that ecstasy is relatively harmless, a fact that Mr Hickley would have realised had he bothered to read some medical journals on the subject. The truth of the matter is, the majority of ecstasy deaths arise from the tablets being contaminated by poisons such as strychnine - a problem that would be eliminated if the drug were legalised and regulated - or complications arising from the user drinking more than a pint of water in an hour and subsequently suffering from H2O poisoning. The assertation that ecstasy can kill at "any dose" is not only misleading, but completely and factually inaccurate.

This one I broadly agree with, but the H20 poisoning thing seems a little suspect. I was under the impression that drinking excessive water when on ecstasy can be dangerous, but surely not actually poisonous? I seem to dinly recall it ws something to do with causing the brain to swell, but it's a while since I read seriously about it.

Ross is correct, Drinking too much water without adequate salt can cause hyponatremia or water intoxication. Don't do E kids, do coke it's much more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:13 pm 
Albert's Bane

Geekopedia Link

Warning: The geekopedia is written by herds of autistic geeks so might not be entirely accurate or even remotely sane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:19 pm 

Quote:
Warning: The geekopedia is written by herds of autistic geeks so might not be entirely accurate or even remotely sane.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:20 pm 
Albert's Bane

bairy wrote:
Quote:

Would you mind explaining what you mean by that.
Yes.

Oh all right then - the people who contribute tend to be a tad obsessive and blinkered in their views and prone to introducing their views to articles.

Some of the physics stuff is hilarious for the oddball ideas peddled as being worthy of consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:23 pm 
Albert's Bane

larrylargesse wrote:
Outrage as publicity-mad chief constable says 'ecstasy is safer than aspirin'

first outrage of 2008...just as weve gotten over our hangovers this gets em screaming for murder!"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... rtComments

If you or I went round shouting that heroin was safe, we'd be in the slammer in abour 30 seconds flat. Is there a special law for Chief Constables?

- Doug, Glasgow

What's impressive about that story is the number people posting comments agreeing with the CC (including some Baht At fellow)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:45 pm 

What's not so great is the number of people who have jumped on the 'Brunstrom is PC/ get rid of Labour' bandwagon. The armchair experts know nothing and should educate themselves before commenting. And the Mail needs to be educated in the ways of science as well.

But then again, why let 'facts' get in the way of a good story?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:23 pm 

larrylargesse wrote:

- Doug, Glasgow

And he wouldn't anyway... what law does he imagine that would break?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:06 pm 

Quote:
More than ever, this latest outburst shows that it is necessary for England to adopt the American system of elections for our chiefs of police and their deputies. That way the public could chose whether they prefer a chief who goes hard on motorists and soft on drugs or one that believes drugs are more dangerous than cars and prefer to chase the drug pushers.

- Brian E, London, England

Number of E deaths in a year (Mail's own figures): 50.
Number of road deaths in a year (rough average): 3500.

Yet Brian seems to be labouring under the impression that cars are safer than drugs. Twat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:08 pm 

jimmy baby nothing wrote:
Adam wrote:
Quote:

Ross is correct, Drinking too much water without adequate salt can cause hyponatremia or water intoxication. Don't do E kids, do coke it's much more fun.

As I recall, it's the difference between a room full of people who just want to hug and a room full of people who just want to ensure everyone else listens to what they have to say. I'll stick with the pills, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:52 am 
Albert's Bane

Adam wrote:
As I recall, it's the difference between a room full of people who just want to hug and a room full of people who just want to ensure everyone else listens to what they have to say. I'll stick with the pills, thanks.
Yeah but you can get organic coke whereas E is pure synthetic chemicals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm 

Baht At wrote:
Adam wrote:
Yeah but you can get organic coke whereas E is pure synthetic chemicals.

To be entirely honest, when I'm taking drugs I don't tend to worry about whether they're macrobiotic or not. Ethically-sourced fairtrade cocaine is certainly a nice idea though, and one well within the realms of possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:08 pm 

Adam wrote:
Ethically-sourced fairtrade cocaine is certainly a nice idea though, and one well within the realms of possibility.

Not while the processing requires the use of petrol.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next