It is currently Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Philip Davies

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Philip Davies
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:06 pm 

It's about time this guy had his own thread. Check out the list.

Post subject: Re: Philip Davies
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:39 pm 

Excellent idea.

Not only has he filibustered to ensure Bills fall, he's also talked others out to ensure they can't have a second reading and full debate. While being a anti-PC free-speech warrior.

The list in the Indie comprises of the following filibusters:

Compulsory Emergency First Aid Education (State-Funded Secondary Schools) Bill - by expressing his opposition to equipping children with first aid skills for 52 minutes

A bill to give carers free hospital parking – Mr Davies helped successfully block a proposed bill that would give carers free hospital parking by speaking about his opposition to it for just over an hour and a half.

The Tenancies (Reform) Bill – Mr Davies and fellow Tory MP Christopher Chope successfully blocked a bill (which had cross-party support) that would have prevented landlords from evicting their tenants for asking for basic repairs in an 8,000 word speech which included excerpts from the Conservative 1987 manifesto.

The International Development (Official Development Assistance Target) Bill - Davies and fellow Tory MPs attempted to block legislation to enshrine Government aid budget into law by tabling protracted amendments that would make MPs run out of time to vote.

A proposed bill to ban wild animals being used in circuses from being debated
- Davies helped Andrew Rosindell, the Tory MP for Romford, and Mr Chope block a bill to ban the use of wild animals in circuses, despite this proposal also enjoying cross party support.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:58 pm 

I know that he's also talked out Bills to
(1) get mandatory smoke detectors fitted in rented properties,
(2)regulate payday lenders and
(3) force councils to provide support to those who care for the disabled.

His Wiki entry demonstrates what a little peach he is.

In 2012 Davies was exposed for accepting gifts from bookmaking organisations whilst at the same time calling for them to be given tax concessions by the UK Government. Subsequently he also supported offshore bookmakers by opposing a Point of Consumption Tax on online gambling. On 1 February 2013, it was reported that Davies was to be investigated by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards after a complaint claiming he received more than £10,000 in benefits from companies with links to the gambling industry which he did not fully declare during a year-long investigation into the betting trade.[16] The Commissioner required Davies to apologise for breaching the parliamentary code after not declaring an interest in a debate and at the Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

On 21 October 2014 Davies, as part of a group, was given a tour of the ITN building on Gray's Inn Road in London. During the tour, Davies argued heatedly with the Channel 4 News presenter Jon Snow whom he called too left-wing and suggested Snow should retire. Snow reportedly began the row by challenging Davies to demonstrate when he had shown any bias. He told Anita Singh of The Daily Telegraph: "I said I was quite happy to come back at a later date but I hadn't come armed with any examples today."

Political commentator Peter Hitchens has described Davies as being a "genuinely conservative" MP. He is a member of the Freedom Association and often claims to be libertarian (see "Political correctness" section below), for example voting against the smoking ban in 2006.However, his stance on DNA databases, CCTV and law and order is decidedly more authoritarian.

He has called for government to "scrap the Human Rights Act for foreign nationals and chuck them out of the country" and he has been criticised as "disgracefully reactionary" for saying publicly that he wanted to see "an increase in the prison population."

Davies did not want to ban smoking in cars with children, does not want books sent to prisoners, and dislikes gay marriage.

On 7 October 2006, after an act of vandalism initially alleged to have been perpetrated by Muslims, The Sun quoted Davies as saying "if there’s anybody who should f*** off it’s the Muslims who do this sort of thing." It was later exposed by The Independent, among others, that the incident never involved Muslims and The Sun was forced to issue an apology four months later.

In July 2010 Davies argued it would not be beneficial to allow the United Kingdom Youth Parliament to stage a debate in the House of Commons Chamber because it would create a precedent which would mean organisations such as the Muslim Council of Britain would be able to use the House of Commons.

Davies is the parliamentary spokesman for the Campaign Against Political Correctness and he has been accused of wasting the Equality and Human Rights Commission's time by sending a stream of correspondence to its Chair, Trevor Phillips, between 2008 and 2009. In this correspondence, he asked questions relating to race and sex discrimination such as: "Is it offensive to black up or not, particularly if you are impersonating a black person?" and "Why it is so offensive to black up your face, as I have never understood this?"

In March 2007 he voted against the Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2007 which proposed to allow the Secretary of State to make regulations defining discrimination and harassment on grounds of sexual orientation, create criminal offences, and provide for exceptions. He also complained, while calling for a Parliamentary debate on "political correctness", about a school production of Romeo and Julian during LGBT History month.

He has said in Parliament that disabled workers are "by definition" less productive and that the minimum wage was a "hindrance to disabled jobseekers".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:02 pm 

Asked by The Independent whether his [filibuster] tactics are a little underhand, Davies is unrepentant.
Quote:
“When I first got elected to Parliament my mentor was Eric Forth [the former Tory MP] and he really was the past master of talking out bills on a Friday,” he said. He did it for fun and he was brilliant at it. After he died I vowed I would do the same kind of work.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:13 pm 

Davies now seems to be a key member of the right wing Freedom association a fact he never seems to declare when he appears on various current affairs programmes.

Earlier this year he did a short film for the Daily Politics advocating a change in the 'Sunday Trading laws'. At no point in his report did he mention his connections to the betting industry which would have benefited financially to the changes nor did he mention his links to the Freedom association.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:40 pm 

So he's modelling himself on Eric Forth, is he?

Makes sense. Forth was one of the biggest cunts in the Tory party.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:41 am 

Let's hope he goes the same way as Forth pretty soon, Parliament would be better for having just one less of these pricks.

Sorry but they don't exist for any purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:10 am 

I hadn't seen the Forth quote, either. Suddenly, it all makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:00 pm 

Catkins wrote:
A cavalcade of cuntery

I feel dirty simply having read that lot.

What an utter, utter arse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:08 pm 

I can get someone being opposed to something as long as they can debate in a civilised and intelligent manner. That's fine, what democracy is about etc.

But this clown is just "I don't like this, but I'm too fucking thick to be able to argue the toss. Hence, I will just babble shite for a hour".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:14 pm 

D.C. Harrison wrote:
I can get someone being opposed to something as long as they can debate in a civilised and intelligent manner. That's fine, what democracy is about etc.

But this clown is just "I don't like this, but I'm too fucking thick to be able to argue the toss. Hence, I will just babble shite for a hour".

He either thinks the opposition is thick, or knows that they have a half decent point, but it doesn't fit with his ideology.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:25 pm 

He doesn't have an ideology even. If you look at his record, it's all over the shop. If there's anything there, it's "What's going to piss off 'the lefties'?".

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:37 pm 

Why is this allowed? I mean if there was a meeting at work about something I didn't like and I decided to disrupt it by babbling shite, Id get booted out?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:44 pm 

He had a majority of 9,000 odd.

So basically, on the say so of less than 10,000 people in Shipley, he believes he has the right to completely stop any bill he, personally, doesn't like.

It's madness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:03 pm 

Andy McDandy wrote:
He doesn't have an ideology even. If you look at his record, it's all over the shop. If there's anything there, it's "What's going to piss off 'the lefties'?".

He has been campaigning for Men's Day. I thought he was a misogynist but after I learned that he wants to incarcerate more people I realised that he is a full-blown misanthropist and quite possibly a sadist as we'll.

Shipley must be where they grow Jeremy Clarksons.