It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next

Reshuffle Fever

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Reshuffle Fever
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:28 pm 

Location: Back in Blighty where the feckin' internet works...
The Mail has an article citing research it has commissioned from Survation on the popularity of various Tory and Lib Dem notables with regard to the upcoming reshuffle (now apparently a FACT).

I'm finding it hard to get a handle on. What is the Mail's angle, here? What is the slant?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... uffle.html

Post subject: Re: Reshuffle Fever
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:36 pm 

I don't know but anything which says keep Clarke and kick out Osborne is OK with me.

How about the bit at the bottom too?

Quote:
Vince Cable and other ‘Labour-friendly’ Lib Dems will have the whip hand over leader Nick Clegg if the party is badly damaged at the next Election, a new study suggests.
YouGov polling boss Peter Kellner, who has warned the party could slump from 57 to just ten seats, last night said Mr Clegg would be among the survivors.
Close Clegg ally Norman Lamb would also keep his seat, as would Business Secretary Mr Cable and former party leader Charles Kennedy.
Based on Mr Kellner’s research, party insiders said only four of the survivors would be on the party’s Right.
There would be six – including Mr Cable – who would favour a deal with Labour rather than the Conservatives.

Cable being 72 in 2015. I seriously doubt he'd bother with leading a rump of 10 MPs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:39 pm 

Is bringing a fraudster (Laws) back into the cabinet really going to play well with anyone outside the Tory/Lib Dem right-wing hardcore? I can't see what all this clamour for his return is all about, other than sheer desperation - his economic views aren't radically different to those of Osborne (other than possibly being slightly further to the right if anything).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:43 pm 

You beat me to it.

They probably think he's more competent than Davey or Alexander- neither of them were in their first choice Cabinet. They probably have a point.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:43 pm 

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Cable being 72 in 2015. I seriously doubt he'd bother with leading a rump of 10 MPs.

And would 10 MPs make enough of a difference?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:52 pm 

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
You beat me to it.

They probably think he's more competent than Davey or Alexander- neither of them were in their first choice Cabinet. They probably have a point.

The Lib Dems need to start thinking about the next election, though. Promoting a crypto-Tory - particularly one who's already been caught with his hand in the till - to their front bench surely isn't likely to go down too well with whatever left-leaning elements remain in their base.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:58 pm 

Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

And would 10 MPs make enough of a difference?

Probably not. Though I'd love it if there were a hung parliament. Ed Milliband could phone them up and say he was going with Plaid Cymru, the SDLP and Lady Sylvia Hermon instead. Not before having got them to kick out their leader first, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:00 am 

new puritan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
You beat me to it.

The Lib Dems need to start thinking about the next election, though. Promoting a crypto-Tory - particularly one who's already been caught with his hand in the till - to their front bench surely isn't likely to go down too well with whatever left-leaning elements remain in their base.

If he replaces Alexander, I can't see it'll make that much difference. They'll be hoping to get Huhne back too, which the left might like more.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:01 am 

Surely Huhne can't come back until after his court hearings, which means the shuffle after next?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:05 am 

Mervyn King said in 2010 that whichever party won that election would find themselves out of power for a generation. I recall that this was in the context of unpopularity due to cuts and the now discredited need for wholesale austerity rather than sheer incompetence.

The Liberals' base is fucked. The Tories are doing their level best, while they enjoy their day in the sun, to shore up their mates even to the detriment of the swing voters who could provide a tenuous lifeline. It seems that both parties have been reading the tea-leaves and they know that their fate is all but sealed. Or perhaps the arrogance of high office is fooling them. Either way - deck-chairs, Titanic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:09 am 

He can't come back this time, but he wouldn't have to wait for a reshuffle. Davey will resign to allow him back in. And probably start doing some vague anti-Tory noises to try and hold his seat.

I don't agree with Mervyn King. People are quite capable of voting in incumbents in tough economic times if they think they'll deal with the problems better than their opponents, as they did in 1992.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:10 am 

What Kreuzie said.

Except...

I wonder how far the lack of any real criticism of key aspects of the government's mendacity by the BBC and even the left-leaning or neutral media has played into the hands of their propagandists, the Times, Mail, Express and Sun. The paradigm of Red Ed and 'Auguste' Balls hasn't been seriously dented.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:22 am 

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
People are quite capable of voting in incumbents in tough economic times if they think they'll deal with the problems better than their opponents, as they did in 1992.

I think the 92 result was a combination perhaps of that (which was nonetheless then comprehensively shot down in flames within months by "Black" Wednesday), but also a comprehensive character assassination job on Labour's leader by a then much more powerful right wing/Murdoch popular press and a perception that Labour somehow just wasn't quite ready for power.

I can't see that people can possibly perceive that Tories or Lib Dems can deal with critical economic problems after the coalition's manifest failure to do - in fact making things worse -over the past two and a half years. Unless the economy miraculously puts on an amazing growth spurt in the next couple of years, which it shows no sign at all of doing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am 

But they are well on the way with the character assassination.

As John Major showed the one thing a government can't get away with is perceived incompetence. So the rags will try to paint the Labour front bench team with the same brush. Then people will choose the devil they know - like 1992.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:31 am 

Well, perhaps, but how the hell can the Tories be portrayed as competent? Even though they've spent two years blaming "the mess we inherited", their reputation for economic competence is surely all but shot again now?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next