It is currently Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Dominic Raab and other tossers

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:04 pm 

The downside to the gradual implosion of the Cameron project is that downright scary individuals like these are waiting in the wings to seize control of the party. Now obviously you'd hope a Tory party featuring these kind of ideas would never get elected but, well, we said that about George Bush once...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 pm 

The Tory right seems to be drifting further and further into Tea Party market fundamentalist territory. There isn't really anything small-c conservative about them - they exist to serve the interests of a transnational corporate elite and everyone else can get fucked. Whatever happened to the sensible One Nation types of yesteryear? Part of me thinks this sort of shit is a large part of the reason they haven't won a parliamentary majority for 20 years and will go down like a lead balloon with floating voters - but unfortunately you can never quite write the cunts off altogether.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:39 pm 

Location: The bleak, soul-less wastes of the Greener Borough...
I know one of the remaining one-nation types. His views wouldn't stand far outside the 60s Labour Party. He despises the neo-cons and the parachuted A-Listers.
Bring back Butskellism, say I.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:44 pm 

That piece has a pic of Priti Patel captioned "a future leader?"

Gawd 'elp us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:57 pm 

Not sure how many on here are aware of this, but Liz Truss' dad appears to find her politics repulsive. Fair play to the lad.

Quote:
Truss was raised in a northern, left-wing household; her father is a professor with an interest in mathematical logic, and her mother was a nurse, teacher, and member of the CND.[5] Truss has described both as being 'to the left of Labour'.[4] While her mother agreed to campaign for Truss when she ran for election to Parliament, her father – due to his politics – refused to do so.[6][4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Truss

I can't even begin to imagine how gutted I'd be if I ended up raising a Tory MP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:01 pm 

You'd be constantly asking "Where did I go wrong????"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:04 pm 

daveinbrum wrote:
The downside to the gradual implosion of the Cameron project is that downright scary individuals like these are waiting in the wings to seize control of the party. Now obviously you'd hope a Tory party featuring these kind of ideas would never get elected but, well, we said that about George Bush once...

Have they all been botoxed into "Perpetually smug"?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:08 pm 

Quote:
The group do not expect this revolution to happen overnight. Last year, Raab and his co-authors published a predecessor to Britannia Unchained for a smaller publisher, titled After the Coalition: A Conservative Agenda for Britain. "The last 30 years of public debate in Britain has been dominated by leftwing thinking," the introduction rather startlingly declared, as if the transformative 18 years of the Thatcher and Major governments had never happened.

I'm fairly sure there must be legitimate grounds for having these people sectioned, for their own good as well as ours.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:14 pm 

Raab's predecessor in Esher and Walton, Ian Taylor, was a moderate. I think he had expenses problems though.

Remaining moderates? Stephen Dorrell?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:47 am 

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Raab's predecessor in Esher and Walton, Ian Taylor, was a moderate. I think he had expenses problems though.

It's all a question of perspective and context, surely. Kenneth Clarke? Francis Maude?

The Economist offered an interesting observation or two earlier this year. http://www.economist.com/node/17905847

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:19 pm 

There's a good blog post from Chris Dillow exposing the rantings of Raab and his mates as a load of old pony.

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com ... -fear.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:24 pm 

Location: Immigrant-bashing, woman-hating, Muslim-smearing, NHS-undermining and gay-baiting 'r' us.
new puritan wrote:

I can't even begin to imagine how gutted I'd be if I ended up raising a Tory MP.

Avoid anal sex at all costs then, that's how Tory MPs are conceived.

As it's warm today I didn't bother with a coat.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:09 pm 

new puritan wrote:
There's a good blog post from Chris Dillow exposing the rantings of Raab and his mates as a load of old pony.

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com ... -fear.html

Excellent read, and it does encapsulate my fears about this demonisation of ordinary workers (to go with the existing demonisation of non-workers). Having worked for a small business in the past that routinely bullied its staff (not me particularly so I'm coming at this from a neutral perspective) and forced out those who they took against, I know that protection is already inadequate and yet these people want to give managers an even freer rein. And yes, if all companies were well and fairly run, employment law wouldn't be needed but, like all regulations, it is needed to protect us from those who would abuse the system even more than they do already.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:35 pm 

Kreuzberger wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

It's all a question of perspective and context, surely. Kenneth Clarke? Francis Maude?

The Economist offered an interesting observation or two earlier this year. http://www.economist.com/node/17905847

I don't really like that article. It cites Nick Boles as being on the left of the party. He founded Policy Exchange, for god's sake. He might be a bit more creative than Dorries, but he's a rightwinger just the same.

And it's unfair on the old Wets. It basically says Gilmour and all just lapped up the establishment view in some lazy sort of way. See his books for ample evidence to the contrary. What he doesn't have is ideology, he's full of thought. And I think his view that Thatcherism would wreck the social fabric has worn rather well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 pm 

My prediction with Raab is that he'll crash and burn in a Michael Portaloo style, the runners and riders being:

1. Using a high-profile platform to say something so gob-smackingly stupid it torpedos his career in one fell swoop.
2. Money (quite a likely one, given the arrogance of those on the extreme right)
3. Sex (something linked to hypocracy - not a great leap of imagination for right-wing tossers with no social conscience).
4. Goes off in a huff when he discovers that he won't become party leader in the next six months.

Once he sidles out of British public life he'll piss off to America and make a fortune talking shit in a posh voice to easily-impressed Tea Party morons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next