It is currently Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

Chris Grayling

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Chris Grayling
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:48 pm 

His comments are equally a case of politicians swallowing the Mail's agenda but his attitude to prison life and budgets is very worrying and largely Tory. He's a thoroughly unpleasant man.

Quote:
He said he did not want inmates to enjoy prison, telling the Daily Mail the criminal justice system needed to be one in which the public could have confidence.

He said: "I'm bringing a fresh pair of eyes to the job. I'm very mindful of the need to have a criminal justice system in which people have confidence. I think they very often don't have confidence in it."

Grayling added: "Prison is not meant to be a place that people enjoy being in. I don't [want to] see prisoners in this country sitting in cells watching the Sunday afternoon match on Sky Sports.

"Am I planning to reduce the number of prison places? No I'm not. I do not want to set a target to reduce the prison population.

"What I do want to do is bring down the cost of prison. The whole philosophy I will bring to the department is getting more for less."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012 ... ine-prison

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:00 pm 

I can forsee a summer of prison riots next year wiping out any savings Grayling might make.

Berk.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:04 pm 

To save money, we actually mean privatise more prisons for our generous donors.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:06 pm 

The TV sets pay for themselves in control.

Warders strike or riots first?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:17 pm 

Location: Immigrant-bashing, woman-hating, Muslim-smearing, NHS-undermining and gay-baiting 'r' us.
It could come straight from a Yes Minister script. An incoming minister blustering and trying to make his mark and, in the background, civil servants watching and waiting for their moment to sabotage any attempt to change the system. The prison service generally works well considering what it has to do with the resources it has. It keeps the prisoners behind bars, rarely mislays any and controls volatile people in unpleasant and boring surroundings. Change any of that at his peril.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:54 pm 
Lord of Flangebury-Under-Scythe

smod wrote:
To save money, we actually mean privatise more prisons for our generous donors.

At more cost to the taxpayer than now. As always.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:04 pm 

One thing he could have usefully done is to tell newspapers to stop talking as though prisons are holiday camps. Or indeed to stop doing that himself. An hour of "association" (playing pool etc) sounds like fun. Until you take into account some of the people you're playing pool with. Hard man Grayling would poo his pants.

The most depressing thing is that he'll probably come out of it well with his base. They won't care about suicides, riots or prison officers' safety. They'll lap up a prisoner officers strike- they can do their "Red Ed" bollocks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 pm 

What's better than talking tough about prisons? Talking tough about foreigners in prison. Grayling thinks there are too many of them.

He transfer them back to their home countries to serve their time, every one's a winner. Except he won't have any control over the system. They could be straight out, telling their mates to get to Britain because they basically send you home if you get caught. The best option would be for Britain to build and oversee prisons in some of the main countries for drug mules (Jamaica, most obviously).I think that's been broached already. The Mail didn't like it.

Seriously, does he think nobody's thought of this?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:27 pm 

Quote:
Grayling added: "Prison is not meant to be a place that people enjoy being in. I don't [want to] see prisoners in this country sitting in cells watching the Sunday afternoon match on Sky Sports.

We should put Grayling in personal charge of a prison where there isn't the option of telly to keep the inmates occupied and to use as an incentive for good behaviour. And then see how he copes when Big John on C wing gets bored and Grayling is the nearest bit of entertainment to hand.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:32 pm 

Sunday? You reckon the prison officers might fancy that day off?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 am 

Quote:
Criminals should not be allowed to hire the most expensive lawyers when taxpayers are covering their legal costs, the Justice Secretary has said.

Chris Grayling said the Government should not always be paying for the most senior QCs to defend suspected criminals when cheaper junior lawyers could do the job just as well.

Speaking on BBC Radio Four's Today programme, he said the £1 billion legal aid bill spent on criminal cases is too high when budgets are being cut across the Government.

"If you look at the daily rate for a senior QC it can be between £1300 and £2,000. For somebody who's going to become a QC in a month's time, it's just over half that amount," he said.

"The question is can we really afford so often to use people who are paid such an additional higher rate compared with somebody's who's nearly as experienced, who's a seriously competent barrister, who will become a QC one day if they choose to do so.

"The reason I'm starting this discussion, and I'll be talking to the Bar Council and others, is that in some cases we're now spending £500,000 or more on legal fees."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -says.html

Incredible. Is Grayling familiar with the concept of 'innocent until proven guilty'? Perhaps we should just imprison people for not being able to afford a decent brief. I mean, they're probably defective anyway otherwise they wouldn't be poor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 pm 

No mention of the CPS using cheaper barristers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 am 

Does it occur to him that there's a reason why people become senior QCs and pull in high fees? And that it could possibly be the fact that actually they are better than more junior barristers?

I long for the day that Grayling gets his collar felt. Something tells me he's not going to go for the cheaper option when it comes to finding representation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:37 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:08 pm 

It appears the barristers are thoroughly pissed off with Grayling.

http://criminalbarassociation.wordpress ... barrister/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next