It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next

Nicky Morgan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Nicky Morgan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:56 am 

...seeing as I started the Gove thread.

More will come out in the following weeks no doubt but let's see what we have so far...

Pro: Not Gove
Con: Ugh

UGH!

Post subject: Re: Nicky Morgan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:03 am 

First thing hits her in-tray.

Quote:
Laura McInerney @miss_mcinerney · 2h
Oooh, results are in for the HeadTeachers Boards. Go find yours!

Quote:
Laura McInerney @miss_mcinerney · 2h
Blimey, only a 36% turnout in one region. And no one made it above 50%. What did the government want for union ballots again?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:23 am 

Was that the ballot of 'outstanding headteachers'? They were probably too busy fiddling their expenses to find the time to vote.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:54 pm 

I'm feeling a bit sorry for Morgan already. Whatever she does is going to be wrong with Gove's pals.

Still not understanding why Truss didn't get the job.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:20 pm 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 15853.html

Quote:
The Independent has learned that Mr Ross, co-founder of the Carphone Warehouse chain, has not made the final shortlist of three applicants. The ruling, by an independent selection panel, will spare Nicky Morgan, the new Education Secretary, a difficult and potentially controversial decision in her first weeks in the job.

She will interview the three remaining names in the frame, who are understood not to have any links with political parties. It means that her choice is likely to enjoy the support of the three main parties.

Hopefully means Theodore Agnew doesn't get it either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:38 pm 

Apparently she thinks Tristram Hunt was an unqualified teacher. So looks like that shite Gove policy is staying.

Maybe she thinks the cycling proficiency policeman who came into my primary school was an unqualified teacher as well. And Ann Winterton MP who did a session for General Studies at my secondary school.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:31 pm 

She's sacked 3 Gove Spads.

Though apparently got Chris Wormald to do it, even though the Sec of State appoints them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
Do you know which ones?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:54 pm 

According to the Spectator, it's Cook, Armstrong and Martin.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:56 pm 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:34 am 

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Apparently she thinks Tristram Hunt was an unqualified teacher. So looks like that shite Gove policy is staying.

Maybe she thinks the cycling proficiency policeman who came into my primary school was an unqualified teacher as well. And Ann Winterton MP who did a session for General Studies at my secondary school.

Nicky Morgan to follow Gove policies on free schools and exam system
New education secretary delivers a blow to hopes she will slow down the government's most controversial changes

Rowena Mason, political correspondent
The Guardian, Monday 21 July 2014 18.37 BST

Quote:
Nicky Morgan, the new education secretary, has pledged to carry on the work of Michael Gove by radically expanding free schools, supporting unqualified teachers and keeping changes to the exam system, despite the unpopularity of her predecessor with teachers.

Many in the education establishment rejoiced at the departure of Gove and were hoping the reshuffle would lead to Morgan slowing down or halting some of the government's most controversial changes.

But in her first appearance in the House of Commons, Morgan made clear she admired Gove's legacy and would maintain "undimmed" enthusiasm for free schools – the programme of new state-funded schools built by third parties such as parent groups, education charities or religious groups.

She made the remarks after Richard Fuller, MP for Bedford, said Gove had not been radical on free schools and called for a rapid expansion of the programme across the country.

Morgan replied: "Can I thank the honourable gentleman? It's always very exciting to be tempted and asked to be more radical. Absolutely. I am undimmed in my commitment to free schools and look forward to working with him and members on all sides in getting more free schools up and running."

Tristram Hunt, the shadow education secretary, called on Morgan to "make the break and put the interests of pupils and teachers above Tory party ideology" by ditching the party's commitment to allowing unqualified teachers in free schools. He said Gove was "a man full of ideas – they just happened to be the wrong ones".

But Morgan responded by mocking his "theatricals typical of someone who took part in the Cambridge Footlights as he did". She also accused the history lecturer, who has a doctorate from the University of Cambridge, of being an unqualified teacher himself.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ools-exams

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:00 am 

Let's face it Morgan didn't get the gig as Secretary of State for Education because she has an in depth knowledge of the education system or because she has lots of original ideas on education. He main qualifications for getting the job were that she was a woman and that she wasn't Michael Gove. To change direction now would be to admit that the government had screwed up on education. Any 'U' turns would cost money and damage the government's credibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:54 pm 

Said she'll look at whether Ofsted should inspect academy chains.

I'll give her credit if she does allow that, would be quite significant. Never mind, the press will miss it with all the "I'm following Gove" stuff. What do they expect her to say? Though, to be fair, Gillian Shepherd virtually said "I'm not following John Patten, he was shit, sorry".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:03 pm 

Ouch.
The scars of memory had healed over Patten. What a monumental cock.

Best thing he did was libel Tim Brighouse. Oh how we laughed as he wrote the cheque...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:12 pm 

Have I understood this correctly?

Peter Clarke talked about DfE monitoring of academies amounting in some cases to "benign neglect".

And this has been taken out of the final report?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next