It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

'The Express' vs. IDS vs. the disabled

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:08 am 

I hadn't heard anything about this "crusade" to save Remploy before, but it looks to've drawn some interesting fire from the Work and Pensions Secretary:

Quote:
In a tirade campaigners later branded “unbelievable arrogance”, he stormed: “Is it a kindness to stick people in some factory where they are not doing any work at all? Just making cups of coffee?

“I promise you this is better. Taking this decision was a balance between how much do I want to spend keeping a number of people in Remploy factories not producing stuff versus getting people into proper jobs.”

Stunned, Julie, 55, said: “We work in our factories!”

The minister barked back: “You don’t produce very much at all.”

Possibly another piece of news that won't be reported in the DM.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:36 am 

Location: Back in Blighty where the feckin' internet works...
It's worth remembering that Ian Dunkin' Smith was called out for lying on his CV.

From Wiki:

In 2002, Michael Crick on the TV programme Newsnight caused some embarrassment when probing Duncan Smith's curriculum vitae, which had been in circulation for years, for example, being reproduced in the authoritative annual Dod's Parliamentary Companion for the previous ten years. The CV claimed that he had attended the University of Perugia when he had in fact attended the Università per Stranieri, which did not grant any degrees at that time, and a claim that he had attended the prestigious-sounding Dunchurch College of Management turned out to refer to some weekend courses at GEC Marconi's staff college

Also mentioned in Omnishambles today.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:38 am 
Yay

I'm sure our local Remploy will be thrilled to hear that they just make cups of coffee....And having looked back on the Express' site, previous stories seem to be very much in favour of Remploy, and against the cuts.

As one person put it in our local paper: "Remploy makes £68m loss. Not "financially viable". RBS makes £2bn loss, and that's bonus-worthy."

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 am 

I always used to buy Remploy soldering irons and products. Good, sensibly priced.
They used to produce swathes of stuff...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:26 pm 

Location: Immigrant-bashing, woman-hating, Muslim-smearing, NHS-undermining and gay-baiting 'r' us.
I have mentioned before about my dear old granddad who was gassed in the First Unpleasantness. He spent the rest of his life in Aylesford, Kent in a place that was called the Royal British Legion Village (snappy, eh?) where disabled servicemen had a worthwhile job in light industries such as printing, carpentry and furniture refurbishment. Following the Boche's Second European Vacation there were places for more disabled servicemen and this went on for many years afterwards giving jobs to ther disabled people. I would bet that it didn't make money either but what price can you put on giving people a job and some sense of self worth?

I will also wager that once the factories are closed the sites - these tend to be close to urban centres for obvious reasons - will be sold off to developers.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:48 pm 

Daley Mayle wrote:
I would bet that it didn't make money either but what price can you put on giving people a job and some sense of self worth?

Conservative theory in a sentence

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:12 pm 

Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
weekend courses at GEC Marconi's staff college

Hahaha :lol:
Ironically, if IDS was on JSA, he'd probably be 'sanctioned' down to £30 a week for this :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:39 pm 

davidjay wrote:
Daley Mayle wrote:
I would bet that it didn't make money either but what price can you put on giving people a job and some sense of self worth?

?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:11 pm 

Fozzy wrote:
davidjay wrote:
Daley Mayle wrote:

?

Making money comes a long way ahead of self-worth and employment.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:02 am 

davidjay wrote:

Making money comes a long way ahead of the self-worth and employment of other people.

FTFY

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:48 am 

Not totally. It doesn't have to even be their money - they're obsessed by the concept of it and judge everyone by how much of it they have.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]