It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Re: PC brigade stories

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: PC brigade stories
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:15 pm 

Maybe they should call it Littlejohn. There's a dilemma for the Mail.

Reclaiming "methinks" for the nation

Latest blog post - 2011 - a review (updated 07/10)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:19 pm 

satnav wrote:
Germaine Greer is currently writing a sequel where they parachute him into Germany so he can rape loads of innocent German bitches.

But the dog is so distraught that Richard Todd can't kiss him goodbye (Because of feminazis) that he becomes a conscientious objector, and hang-glides to Switzerland.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:27 pm 

I do have a problem with films which impose 21st century values on history but not for the same reasons as the Mailites - the opposite in fact.

People in the 1940’s WERE casually racist (as well as sexist and homophobic).

I’m only in my forties, so don't remember the war, but I do remember that there was a paint which I used on my Airfix kits which was called “Nigger Brown”(early 1970s). I thought nothing of it then, it was ‘normal’. The fact that I now find it shocking is A Good Thing.

Old films/books/TV shows are a reminder of how much progress we have made in creating a fairer world. If historical films portray black people being treated with respect and civility, is there not a danger that those who rely upon the cinema for their knowledge and understanding of history (and there are many), will be left with the impression of ‘what was all the fuss about, it wasn’t that bad’?

Last edited by oboogie on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:25 pm 

And another thing...

I wonder, will the new film tackle the propaganda (and historical inaccuracies) of the original film?

The Dambusters raid was an interesting story; an engineering triumph in the development of the bombs, the sights and the dropping device coupled with the undoubted skill and courage of the RAF crews.

However, militarily it achieved very little. Most of the 1,650 casualties were in fact Russian, mostly POWs, but also including 493 female forced-labourers from the Soviet Union who were drowned. The factories which were washed away simply had their machinery salvaged and relocated and were up and running again within a few weeks. The loss of hydro-electric power from the dams did cause a loss of electrical power in the factories and many households in the region, but only for two weeks.

Overall, bombing did little damage to German armaments production which continued to increase output throughout the war up until the winter of 44/45 when allied troops started to overrun factories in Germany itself.

The real value of missions like the Dambusters raid was (apart from boosting British morale) mainly to convince Stalin that Britain was still a serious ally at a time when the Soviet Union was bearing the brunt of the fighting and the casulties.

But we never hear about that in the Mail.

Last edited by oboogie on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:47 pm 

Location: Back in Blighty where the feckin' internet works...
I've got some Coates 'Nigger Brown' sewing thread from the 60s, and some Leichner Minstrel make-up (which I admit I wore in student rag shows c1969). I used to show them to kids when we were talking about how attitudes have changed since the seventies, and how such casual racism was endemic. I don't think anyone was offended, because we all assumed that those sorts of things weren't acceptable any more for a variety of reasons. But they didn't ask me to black up again...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:19 pm 

Don't bother getting a good degree: Now PC brigade says bosses shouldn't just hire best students as it 'discriminates against average graduates'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dents.html

Comments are as you'd imagine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:09 pm 

Reading the story (you know, actually reading what is written; seeing what order the words lie in and how they contribute to a logical flow to produce an overall argument), what is actually being said is that companies should not automatically exclude anyone with less than a 2:1 degree as this may be excluding people who actually have the right skills profile for the job.

But that doesn't make for such a sensationalist headline, does it Daily Mail?

Twats!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:43 pm 

culfy wrote:
Reading the story (you know, actually reading what is written; seeing what order the words lie in and how they contribute to a logical flow to produce an overall argument), what is actually being said is that companies should not automatically exclude anyone with less than a 2:1 degree as this may be excluding people who actually have the right skills profile for the job.

But that doesn't make for such a sensationalist headline, does it Daily Mail?

Twats!

I'd have thought the Mail would see "2:I or above only" as discriminating against older people (Grade inflation and all that) and proper academic subjects.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:02 pm 

Bones McCoy wrote:
I'd have thought the Mail would see "2:I or above only" as discriminating against older people (Grade inflation and all that) and proper academic subjects.

I'm afraid that I have some sympathy with that view. I see Undergraduates with 9 or 10 As at GCSE whose academic ability is lower than mine was at their age (I passed 7 O'Levels - 2 As and the rest Bs & Cs). Some then go on to achieve Firsts on what is nominally the same degree as my own, but I know that some of the 'harder' elements have been cut out of the qualification since my day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:54 pm 

Betrayed by the PC brigade: From the Mail writer who first revealed the scandal of Muslim sex gangs, a damning exposé of how politically correct police and social workers betrayed underage white victims
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-19761861

I think the Mailites may have missed the irony in my comment:
Quote:
We must locate PC Brigade headquarters and storm it immediately. This shadowy, hidden organisation has had a terrible effect on this nation's blood pressure.
- Eunice, Cheshire, United Kingdom, 28/9/2012 10:11 96

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 pm 

The boy who cried wolf might be relevant here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:14 pm 

'Fathers are treated as mere sperm donors': Captain Corelli's Mandolin author hits out at family courts

The Mail loves a celebrity MRA — especially one who's prepared to take on the PC brigade:

Quote:
In a letter to the Sunday Telegraph, he wrote: 'In schools nobody tells boys that fathering is the most important and responsible thing they will ever do, nor that, when done well, fatherhood bestows upon you the deepest, most satisfying and fun relationships of your life.

'The only explanation for this neglect is terror of the political incorrectness of offending single mothers, and the general mythologising of fathers as irrelevant and feckless abusers.'

I haven't the foggiest idea how paragraph one of that argument connects to paragraph two.

An old friend drops by:

Quote:
10/10 Louis de Bernieres. You have hit the nail on the head. Our lord and masters in the political arena deem the male species to be null and void and so this now leads to more and more single parent families. They have asked for it and now they have got it!

- Trevor, Ammanford, United Kingdom, 16/6/2013 15:11 Rating 12

Yes, damn those man-hating feminazis David Cameron, George Osborne, Chris Grayling, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:44 pm 

Carnival committee accused of 'political correctness gone mad' after scrapping bonny baby contest because parents of those who lose might become upset

That's not the reason, of course. The reason is that judging babies on their looks is shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:51 pm 
Lord of Flangebury-Under-Scythe

ezinra wrote:
'Fathers are treated as mere sperm donors': Captain Corelli's Mandolin author hits out at family courts

The Mail loves a celebrity MRA — especially one who's prepared to take on the PC brigade:

Quote:
In a letter to the Sunday Telegraph, he wrote: 'In schools nobody tells boys that fathering is the most important and responsible thing they will ever do, nor that, when done well, fatherhood bestows upon you the deepest, most satisfying and fun relationships of your life.

'The only explanation for this neglect is terror of the political incorrectness of offending single mothers, and the general mythologising of fathers as irrelevant and feckless abusers.'

I haven't the foggiest idea how paragraph one of that argument connects to paragraph two.

An old friend drops by:

Quote:
10/10 Louis de Bernieres. You have hit the nail on the head. Our lord and masters in the political arena deem the male species to be null and void and so this now leads to more and more single parent families. They have asked for it and now they have got it!

- Trevor, Ammanford, United Kingdom, 16/6/2013 15:11 Rating 12

Yes, damn those man-hating feminazis David Cameron, George Osborne, Chris Grayling, etc.

Speaking as a parent (ha! never managed to say that before) this is utter bollocks. De Bernieres has got previous with this sort of crap though hasn't he?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:46 pm 

I would love to know the thought processes Trevor has gone through that makes him decide that a male dominated government with a sizeable proportion of fathers in it has decided that the male species is null and void and unworthy to be fathers. Though perhaps the term "thought process" is unduly flattering to Trevor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next