It is currently Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2533 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 169  Next

Lady bashing

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Lady bashing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:18 am 

There's been so many "women - know your limits" stories lately, I thought they deserved their own thread. First, we have this gem: Why feminism "could be bad for your health."

Quote:
Feminism began in earnest in the early 1900s, with the Suffragettes, led by Emmeline Pankhurst, successfully fighting for women's right to vote.

Erm, no it didn't. Do the Mail actually know what feminism is? Bet they've never heard of Mary Wollstonecraft, or John Stuart Mill (yes, men can be feminists too, DM).

No comments yet but one to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:41 am 

tomorrow's front page:

how feminism can give you cancer and rape our (underlined of course) house prices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:03 am 

It really wouldn't surprise me if the Fail mentions how a suffragette was killed by that King's horse (Pankhurst again?), proving once and for all that woman should just shut up and stay in the kitchen.

Doesn't the Fail have it's own women's section, rather like The Sun? Why should they even bother when all the Fail journosaurs simply wish to denigrate 50% of the population?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:14 am 

JohnD wrote:
It really wouldn't surprise me if the Fail mentions how a suffragette was killed by that King's horse (Pankhurst again?), proving once and for all that woman should just shut up and stay in the kitchen.

Doesn't the Fail have it's own women's section, rather like The Sun? Why should they even bother when all the Fail journosaurs simply wish to denigrate 50% of the population?

No, none of the Pankhursts threw themselves in front of horses, just did a lot of hunger strikes. I forget the name of the horse woman.

Actually, it's questionable how much the suffragettes achieved towards getting the vote. LLoyd George apparently said at the time he was only going to give the vote to women if they proved they were mature enough to handle it, instead of pulling stupid stunts like hunger strikes and chaining themselves to railings. Also, I think the suffragettes burned his house down or something. The First World War was more of a factor: women got the vote partly as a reward for all their hard work while the men were off fighting.

The Mail's woman section is called "Femail". It contains important stories about how rough some celebrity looks, how to raise children and please your man. And I notice today it's serialising the new book of arch wanker Piers Morgan. Enough said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:40 am 

Antigherkin wrote:
No, none of the Pankhursts threw themselves in front of horses, just did a lot of hunger strikes. I forget the name of the horse woman.

Emily Davison - favourite of pub quiz question setters.

Quote:
The Mail's woman section is called "Femail". It contains important stories about how rough some celebrity looks, how to raise children and please your man. And I notice today it's serialising the new book of arch wanker Piers Morgan. Enough said.

I've always been fascinated by the amount of publicity dedicated to how much the DM is said to court the female readership and actually have a disproportionate number of female readers, givn how patronising it is.

Has anyone seen a demographic breakdown of the readership recently? I haven't checked for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:01 am 

Here come the comments:
Quote:
The feminist movement has caused a great deal of unhappiness among men, women, and children. The assertion that men and women have equal abilities is a false premise.

Unhappiness leads to poor health.

I believe that is is the link between forced gender equality and poorer health.

- Fritz Hemmer, Crownsville, MD USA

Quote:
"In fact, what Sweden needs is complete gender equality with, for example, men entering the private sphere to the extent that women have entered the public."

There is no such thing as "complete gender equality".

For example, I can't tell you how many times my husband has had to fill in for a pregant co-worker (once for her entire pregnancy plus 3 months to be with her newborn). The pregnant co-worker collected full pay, which since it was a commission sales job, was all the sales my husband made for her. Meanwhile, he lost income because he didn't have time to properly attend to his own accounts.

Would the reverse ever happen? Ha!

- Sally, Atlanta, GA

Bloody women with their wombs.

Quote:
It's the men's fault.

- Asdf, UK

How's that then?
Quote:
Feminism has ensured that families now need two salaries to survive whereas a single male bread winner could provide for all the family with a living wage. A wife geerally only worked when the family could not meet financial ends. This was the ultimate social safety net. Thank you Emily and Germaine for enslaving families and taking them to the brink where now even two wages are not enough and where corporations have sourced cheap labor.

- Grahame Watson, Las Vegas

These are the only two feminists ever. 1. Pankhurst fought for the right of women (upper class women anyway) to vote, not work. 2. Germaine Greer is a poor example of a feminist. Heard of Simone de Beauvoir, Grahame?

Quote:
Awwww, poor dears.

I guess it's true, everything hits women hardest.

Something *must* be done!

- Steve K, Bromley UK

Just fuck off, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:22 pm 

This woman is just stupid:

"Working women suffer more stress than men because not only do they have their job, like their male counterparts, but also have the burden and responsibility of raising and caring for children, which is in itself a full-time job. Then there's the house work and cooking and shopping for food."

- Joy, Wembley, UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:26 pm 

No, she's got a point: statistically speaking, women still do take on most of the burden of domestic tasks and child-rearing as well as full-time work. But I'd guess the idea of an equal division of domestic responsibilities between male and female partners wasn't the point Joy was trying to make.

Last edited by Antigherkin on Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:31 pm 

So high pressure jobs are stressful? Yeah we know! Oh I'm sure that feminists never took that into account. Thank god they did a study into this because it obviously proves that equality is just such a bad idea and should be stopped. Women just need to be sheltered from the nasty stressful world of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:47 pm 

Antigherkin wrote:
No, she's got a point: women still do take on most of the burden of domestic tasks and child-rearing as well as full-time work. But I'd guess the idea of an equal division of domestic responsibilities between male and female partners wasn't the point Joy was trying to make.

Exactly, It's that automatic assumption that every working woman has to do all of those things as well that I was trying to point out. Of course as you say, there are plenty of unequal male + female partnerships.[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:59 pm 

In Mail-land, all women are married with 2.4 children and their own home. None are young, single, childless or living with parents/flatmates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:36 pm 

Antigherkin wrote:
In Mail-land, all women are married with 2.4 children and their own home. None are young, single, childless or living with parents/flatmates.

Ahh, you have missed out the fantasy lesbian who is young, nubile and, underneath it all, other than being wank fodder, really fancies men. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:15 pm 

Speaking of male feminists, apparently evil Dr. Eggman from the Sonic games is a feminist. Which is a bit odd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:17 pm 

Adrian wrote:
Speaking of male feminists, apparently evil Dr. Eggman from the Sonic games is a feminist. Which is a bit odd.

Eh? Why's that then?

Also, why is he called Dr Eggman now? Didn't he used to be called Robotnik?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:29 pm 

Antigherkin wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for setting me straight, although I am unsettled by the nasty pun. Wasn't the Morgan creature editor of The Daily Mirror? Good grief! It all sounds like lowest-common-denominator trash. Now you know why I never touch the damn rag.

Samafur said:

Quote:
Emily Davison - favourite of pub quiz question setters.

Yeah, nice one for remembering. The last time I contenanced the history of feminism was way back in the first year of secondary school (1990-1991). It can't have been PC gone mad, the Tories were in power. I can't remember discussing the arson attack on Lloyd George's house though. I doubt that the suffragettes were into serious crime, just the hunger strikes, being force fed through the nose, brandishing placards and chaining themselves to railings as previously mentioned. Gawd love 'em.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2533 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 169  Next