It is currently Sat May 23, 2015 8:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 412  Next

BBC bashing

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: BBC bashing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:45 am 

More BBC bashing... :roll:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:13 am 
Editor of the Maily Dail

Quote:
We all know the cliched critique of the BBC: a nest of Lefties promoting a progressive agenda and political correctness.

Depressingly, that cliche is uncomfortably close to the truth: the BBC is biased,and it is a bias that seriously distorts public debate.

Quite rich coming from the Daily Mail, kings as they are of planting unfounded shite in peoples heads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:57 am 

Interesting....didn't the recent BBC investigation into alleged bias over the Israeli-Palestine conflict (initiated by Israeli diplomats) in fact find disproportianate pro-Israeli coverage, normally something one associates with the right wing?

Of course, reality itself has a well known left-wing bias....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:23 am 
Yay

Comments:
Quote:
Yep, wholeheartedly agree. I don't look at the BBC website, and avoid their news programmes like the plague.

- Steve, New Zealand

Which presumably isn't too hard living in New Zealand. I avoid TVONE's news like the plague too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:51 pm 

It's pretty obvious that there is bias at the BBC. The bias is towards intellectualism. Since intellectual life in the UK is substantially liberal-left biased then it follows that the BBC will seem to carry a liberal-left bias.

There are three possible solutions to this. The BBC could dumb down and ditch its intellectual bias, it could artificially bias its intellectual content by (as it already does on programmes such as The Moral Maze) promoting right wing nut-jobs such a Mad Mel as the equivalent to serious left-biased commentators, or the right could get it's arse in gear and produce some thinkers worth listening to rather than just shouting the same old cant really loudly over and over again in lieu of a properly reasoned argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:47 pm 

The BBC is NOT bias, the Mail does not like it because it's not fantatical. I get most of my information off Radio4, Private Eye and word of mouth and I would say that it's pretty accurate. Then this peach turns up:
Quote:
I was a coal miner one of many that voted for Mrs. Thatcher, I never had any regrets. I agree with your take on what has happened to the BBC, it angers me so much. Ideas are more deadly than bombs and the end of this dictatorship of the left in our country will be very bad. When it comes to it these liberals have no guts when it comes to a scrap. Well done to you, this from an ordinary bloke.

- Frederick Mee, Rhyl North Wales

I do hope this is a piss take, because 'Ideas are more deadly than bombs' is very worrying as is Fred thinking about something very very nasty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:55 pm 

The whole "dictatorship of the left" (snigger) idea seems to be one that as somehow drifted across from American political "discourse", and its about as true there as it is here. It seems its not just the libertarian wing of the Tories that have been taking notes from Fox News, the Republican Party and various right wing think tanks...with varied success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:03 pm 

Quote:
I was a coal miner one of many that voted for Mrs. Thatcher, I never had any regrets. I agree with your take on what has happened to the BBC, it angers me so much. Ideas are more deadly than bombs and the end of this dictatorship of the left in our country will be very bad. When it comes to it these liberals have no guts when it comes to a scrap. Well done to you, this from an ordinary bloke.

- Frederick Mee, Rhyl North Wales

Could "ordinary bloke" Fred look up the definition of 'dictatorship' some time? Yet another Mail reader who's gone off the idea of elections since the Tories stopped winning them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:39 pm 

I'd no more listen to a coal miner who supported Thatcher than I'd listen to a turkey who supported Bernard Matthews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:56 pm 

Moggie wrote:
I'd no more listen to a coal miner who supported Thatcher than I'd listen to a turkey who supported Bernard Matthews.

Hahaha too right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:13 am 

Quote:
Yep, wholeheartedly agree. I don't look at the BBC website, and avoid their news programmes like the plague.

- Steve, New Zealand

How does he know it's biased then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:03 am 

Quote:
But surely if BBC impartiality meant anything, we would have balanced our story by emphasising the growing banking, oil and electronics industries.

Instead, we constantly lamented the closure of shipyards and fretted about the ailing Ravenscraig steelworks.

Is this guy an idiot? Good news is no news, of course they emphasised the closure of shipyards, because that's a fucking story. "People get jobs in banking sector" isn't news.

Quote:
John Major had little opportunity to enjoy his success; within months, Sterling was ejected from the Exchange Rate Mechanism and his Government never recovered.

The BBC mounted a barrage of negative coverage on everything from the NHS to sleaze.

I mean, for fucks sake, here's the media reporting the bad things that happen. Again. IMO, it's the media's job (especially the publicly funded media) to be relentlessly positive about the government and not report their flaws. Y'know, like they are in China, or Cuba.

Quote:
Within the BBC, opinion ran strongly against the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Most staff felt war was unjustified; feelings intensified by their contempt for President George Bush.

On Today we occasionally allowed the case for war to be made, but the prevailing tone was doom-laden. Arguing for a better balance was a thankless task: at one meeting I said our coverage was too anti-war; the editor's response was brusque.

Amongst the population in general, of course, there was nothing but support for the war.

Quote:
One presenter described the sense of superiority that working at the BBC confers on its staff.

"It's the whole thing that 'we know best' and it's our responsibility to educate the poor unfortunates beneath us in how things should be."

Yes, none of that to be found at the Daily Mail I'm sure.

What a ludicrous peice of journalism. I have no doubt that the people who work for the BBC are mostly left of centre, they're creatives, creatives tend to be liberal. I'm not convinced by the idea of a left wing bias however. As mentioned above, a study was done where a pro-Israeli bias was decided on, the government is hardly getting an easy ride etc etc. But if the right scream loud enough, people will believe it. See the US for an example of where we're heading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:18 am 

jonnyhead wrote:
Quote:

- Steve, New Zealand

How does he know it's biased then?

Because he reads the Daily Mail online? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:03 am 

Kates red dress and chance to give the Beeb a kicking..ffs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1773

Miss Silverton's appearance is bound to be met with further criticism that the BBC is dumbing down its news coverage with less experienced more glamorous presenters.

More recently veteran Channel 4 new presenter Jon Snow lambasted rival newsreaders for their lack of journalistic experience.

In the past, TV bulletins were fronted by experienced journalists - such as Sir Alastair Burnet, Michael Buerk, Jeremy Bowen and Sandy Gall, he said

quality bit of spite...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:29 pm 

larrylargesse wrote:
Kates red dress and chance to give the Beeb a kicking..ffs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1773

Miss Silverton's appearance is bound to be met with further criticism that the BBC is dumbing down its news coverage with less experienced more glamorous presenters.

More recently veteran Channel 4 new presenter Jon Snow lambasted rival newsreaders for their lack of journalistic experience.

In the past, TV bulletins were fronted by experienced journalists - such as Sir Alastair Burnet, Michael Buerk, Jeremy Bowen and Sandy Gall, he said

quality bit of spite...

I thought she was very good this morning.

Anyway, most of the comments tend to agree that she looked fabulous and did a good job. Only Donald and Drew disagree, not sure what that tells us :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 412  Next