It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: The Daily Mail vs Everyone

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:22 pm 

crabcakes_windermere wrote:
some highlanders think of people (and here I don't mean me, but Scottish people born and bred in the country) who live in the lowlands in the same unfavourable terms as a bricklayer from Newcastle might consider someone from Chelsea complaining that their half-caff mochaccino hasn't been made double hot.

I don't think that that equates to classing lowlanders as "fake Scots" in the same terms that some Welsh people apparently perceive the "fake Welsh". The whole highlander/lowlander thing is much more of a good-natured mutual ribbing thing. For example Billy Connolly often relates the story of the highland (or "teuchter" to use the authentic term) police sergeant in Glasgow (significant numbers of highland emigres to Glasgow ended up working in the police service) who, on finding a body on Sauchiehall Street, dragged it round the corner into Hope Street because it was easier to spell in his report. :)

People living in the central belt of Scotland (ie the majority of th population) definitely do think of themselves as Scots, to the extent of refusing to tick the "British" nationality box at census time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:34 pm 

moonshien wrote:
Abernathy wrote:

What happened next?

I took my custom to a pub that wasn't staffed with racists.

But you didn't challenge this unambigiuously clear instance of racism before doing so? Why not? After all, you were a Welsh speaker who had clearly understood the bar-person's racist remark (and obviously callous attitude in allowing the Welsh local to eat while denying you and your wife) concerning you and Mrs Moanshiite) and were therefore in a position to expose and shame this shockingly racist treatment of yourself and Mrs Moanshite (possibly exclaiming "HA-HAH!!!" when doing so). Did you really just go to another pub without saying anything? That seems rather odd to me, but then it also seems rather improbable to me that a pub, a commercial establishment, would wilfully decline custom on the rather tenuous basis that the customer that wanted to give them cash for providing food to them did not speak Welsh (even though you could).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:35 pm 

Well I'm sorry you had that experience; unfortunately there are places in Anglesey that are like that, not just to English or English-speaking people but sometimes even people from the next town over. I was refused service in a pub in Llangefni once because I'm not from there and apparently my presence was irritating the regulars!!! Needless to say I burned the place to the ground (OK, really I just swore at them and never went back)

If I was you I'd have called her out on it (in Welsh) before leaving; her kind of attitude really doesn't help the perception that we're all clannish English-haters who only invented the language to piss off our colonial masters :evil: and people like her need to see it's not acceptable to behave like that to anyone.

We're not all like that in Anglesey though, mind you you'll get ignorant cunts in any small town or village, just in places like Anglesey it sometimes comes with an added helping of racism :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:23 pm 
Yay

Abernathy wrote:
But you didn't challenge this unambigiuously clear instance of racism before doing so? Why not? After all, you were a Welsh speaker who had clearly understood the bar-person's racist remark (and obviously callous attitude in allowing the Welsh local to eat while denying you and your wife) concerning you and Mrs Moanshiite) and were therefore in a position to expose and shame this shockingly racist treatment of yourself and Mrs Moanshite (possibly exclaiming "HA-HAH!!!" when doing so). Did you really just go to another pub without saying anything? That seems rather odd to me, but then it also seems rather improbable to me that a pub, a commercial establishment, would wilfully decline custom on the rather tenuous basis that the customer that wanted to give them cash for providing food to them did not speak Welsh (even though you could).

Ah, how I remember when changing people's names into something disparaging was funny. That was when I was about 15. Even though you may disagree, a bit of respect doesn't go amiss. And before you start going on about "moonshien doesn't respect me, so I won't do the same", if that is what you believe...take the moral high ground, be an example..or whatever makes you happy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:25 pm 

Location: In that Yoorup with its Cultural Traditions and no warm beer.
But on no account take anyone to task for trolling...

And how does that sit with a moderator calling someone a twat?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:27 pm 
Yay

I'm a hypocrite. That's how I roll.

But I don't recall ever saying "You're a twat" to any user here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:29 pm 

The other 'moderator' - as you well know.
Ignoring problems rarely makes them better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 pm 
Yay

I have had a word with said moderator, and safe to say he won't be doing that again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:32 pm 

Thank you.

That's all I asked for...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:34 pm 
Yay

I thought I mentioned it at the time I dealt with it, sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:31 pm 

On the Welsh thing - I'm English and have had a couple of experiences of people being a bit funny. I lived in Chester and went into Wales once in a while on work and one day popped into a newsagent outside a train station asking if they knew the train times, as the timetable was nowhere to be found. They were chatting in english about TV shows or whatever and instantly went into welsh and claimed to have no knowledge of the station. Weird as it was likely their chief source of income and the trains were about once an hour. Oh well.

I lived in Scotland for four years and had no trouble at all, plenty of ribbing but always good humoured. On once occasion I was threatened with violence for being English - at a funeral wake of all places but the person was extremely drunk and extremely upset and looking for a fight. I could have had on glasses he objected to or anything - it was just a reason to lash out. I did once see a student beaten half to death for admitting to being English to a gang of football hooligans. Again, if he'd said he was Scottish he would have been from the wrong town or whatever. People will hold it against you if they are after trouble but the rest of the time people live and let live. Curiously, some of the most rabid nationalists live right at the border, but then again in Carlisle, Bamburgh, etc. you can find raving English nationalists too.

Race is a thorny issue in much of Scotland though - was on a driving tour with a Nigerian friend and some thugs came over with a camera and told him they were taking their photo with him as nobody would beleive they'd met a 'real nigger'. They didn't ask, they told us it was happening. It was clear that we weren't free to decline. You don't have to get very far out of the towns for things to get pretty rustic in Scotland, but it's much like Northumberland, East Anglia, etc. in that respect. Places with that 'long way from anywhere' vibe. In the cities you could be anywhere really and nobody bats an eyelid.

Don't let it put you of going, just apply a modicum of common sense.

For the record, I've lived in 12 cities around the UK and by far the most peaceful place I've ever lived is Leicester. Gem of a place, over 25% green spaces all open to the public, two great universities, very good commuter links to everywhere, London is a shade over an hour away and very, very cheap cost of living. Cosmopolitan, all the mod cons and the bad areas are discrete and easily avoided. :)

It's magic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:41 pm 

Esqui wrote:

Ah, how I remember when changing people's names into something disparaging was funny. That was when I was about 15. Even though you may disagree, a bit of respect doesn't go amiss. And before you start going on about "moonshien doesn't respect me, so I won't do the same", if that is what you believe...take the moral high ground, be an example..or whatever makes you happy.

Oh, what - did I mis-spell Moonshine? Sorry, should that be Moonshien? I do apologise. How careless of me. As for disparaging Moonshine, sorry, Moonshien, then I'm afraid I disagree with you fundamentally that one should not take the piss out of a bolshy shit-stirring troll. Please don't ask me to respect Moonshine, sorry, Moonshien, because I simply don't, and it's got fuck-all to do with him not respecting me. Why then? Because he's a shit-stirring, thoroughly objectionable troll, that's why. I'm more than happy to be an example, in contrast to Moonshine, sorry Moonshien, of a civil and tolerant human being.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:42 pm 

Sorry, A, that should be moonshien - the caps key fell off a while back.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:23 am 

Abernathy wrote:
I don't think that that equates to classing lowlanders as "fake Scots" in the same terms that some Welsh people apparently perceive the "fake Welsh". The whole highlander/lowlander thing is much more of a good-natured mutual ribbing thing.

I dunno. I'm sure in many cases it is, but I've heard some lowlanders described in pretty unglowing terms by highlanders about how they're sell-outs, English in all but accent and don't care about the 'real' Scotland as long as they get to ponce about in tartan and take money off of tourists.

Funnily enough, one of the key issues for aggravation was the Scottish Parliament. Much like London, Edinburgh is now seen as running things it's miles and miles away from and simply arranging things that suit it locally rather than looking nationally.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:13 pm 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l#comments

Guess what? Going by nearly all the comments, Mail readers think *all* charities are cons and they don't give to charity because: charity begins at home and anyway these evil charities spend money on admin! or have comfy chairs for their office staff! or have bags in their shops with their logo printed on! or charge £2.50 for a book in one of their charity shops! Any excuse...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next