It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 402  Next

Re: BBC bashing

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: BBC bashing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:06 pm 

oboogie wrote:
bluebellnutter wrote:
I don't understand why people get so het up about Top Gear "fakery" scandals.

I don't think anyone outside the Daily Mail's 'newsroom' does, do they?

Not that I know of.

Even people who hate Top Gear don't give a fig that it's 'enhanced'. It's clearly an entertainment show, not Panorama.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:21 pm 

What started as a genuine concern (footage re-edited to create false impressions, rigged competitions etc) grew to encompass the minor (Blue Peter using the kids of production staff to fill out crowds)and has reached the point where anything on TV that is not captured, there in the moment, Gonzo-style, devoid of the benefit of editing or any form of set-up, can be called 'fakery'.

When I read a recent piece howling with outrage about costumes in Downton being recycled in something else (hell, I'm not in the performing arts business and even I'm aware of the existence of prop houses) it was another sign that 'fakery' has become a catch-all term for anything on TV that smells vaguely of shenannigans. Much in the same way that 'sleaze' became an umbrella label for all manner of Tory wrongdoing under Major.

Last edited by Andy McDandy on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:24 pm 

Of course, what it's all about is a). denying the reader the assumption of intelligence enough to understand that TV production is an expensive and time consuming business, and that various techniques have to be used to make the most efficient use of time and people as well as to create (perhaps falsely) a certain impression; and b). to create an us and them vibe between 'normal people' (including, oddly, tabloid journalists) on one side and the 'media elite' on the other.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:29 pm 

Surely the logical conclusion of this is a story about how clearly the BBC's latest version of say, Henry V is clearly faked as there are no reports of any OB units actually seen at Agincourt, and why are they saying the year is 1415, when that is obviously Kenneth Brannagh who was born in 1960 etc etc etc etc.

Next week: BBC Engulfed In Fakery Row As DNA Tests Prove The Doctor Was Actually Eleven Different Actors And Not The Self Same Bloke All Along.

Accompanying photo:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:51 pm 

And they have the nerve to accuse everyone else of dumbing down.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:43 pm 

Not the BBC but related to the discussion
I watched Killing Bono last night.
It's described as loosely based on Neil McCormick's memoir "Killing Bono: I Was Bono's Doppelgänger".
McCormick was a schoolfriend of Bono's and they both started bands at the same time, McCormick's band struggled on for ten years failing to make their name consumed with jealousy whilst watching their old mates becoming mega. That's about it for fact as far as the film is concerned which was sexed up beyond recognition.
There's a good piece here by McCormick on his reaction to watching his life being rewritten for the film.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... -Bono.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:24 pm 

BBC boss confirms TV download pay service

From The Grauniad

Interview with Mark Thompson, including this...

Quote:
On "Crowngate", the misleading footage of the Queen which forced the resignation of the then BBC1 controller Peter Fincham in 2007, Thompson said: "The splash in that morning's Times was CRISIS OF TRUST AT THE BBC in a font size which a short-sighted mole could have read at 20 paces, but which seemed to take a little longer to find when that newspaper reported its own rather more recent computer-hacking scandal."

He said the incident and another BBC "gate" – "Sachsgate" – were "serious but isolated mistakes in what are usually highly dependable services with exceptional standards and values".

"We were heavily criticised for being too slow to respond to The Russell Brand Show," he said.

"Yet within four days of the story breaking in the Mail On Sunday, we'd completed an investigation into what had happened, two senior editorial leaders had left the BBC, one presenter had resigned while the other had been suspended, and we'd announced how we intended to ensure there would be no repetition of such a failure.

"Compare those four 'slow' days with the long years of phone hacking."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:13 am 

oboogie wrote:
Not the BBC but related to the discussion
I watched Killing Bono last night.
It's described as loosely based on Neil McCormick's memoir "Killing Bono: I Was Bono's Doppelgänger".
McCormick was a schoolfriend of Bono's and they both started bands at the same time, McCormick's band struggled on for ten years failing to make their name consumed with jealousy whilst watching their old mates becoming mega. That's about it for fact as far as the film is concerned which was sexed up beyond recognition.
There's a good piece here by McCormick on his reaction to watching his life being rewritten for the film.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... -Bono.html

Good film but my disappointment on realising it wasn't a documentary was deep and sincere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:43 am 

KevS wrote:
Surely the logical conclusion of this is a story about how clearly the BBC's latest version of say, Henry V is clearly faked as there are no reports of any OB units actually seen at Agincourt, and why are they saying the year is 1415, when that is obviously Kenneth Brannagh who was born in 1960 etc etc etc etc.

I also have my suspicions that Walking with Dinosaurs was faked.

Because if it really was filmed all those millions of years ago, it would have been in black and white, wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:57 am 

Fact Hunt wrote:

I also have my suspicions that Walking with Dinosaurs was faked.

Because if it really was filmed all those millions of years ago, it would have been in black and white, wouldn't it?

...and be presented by a man in an evening suit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:04 pm 

Quote:
'Blasphemy is just part of everyday language': BBC's dismissive response to vicar who complained about Jeremy Clarkson's offensive language

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1pIg44SrG
Quote:
Car enthusiast Reverend Graeme Anderson has vowed never to watch Top Gear again

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:44 pm 

Quote:
I'm sure a blasphemous reference to Mohammed would have been edited or bleeped out. Typical hypocritical BBC. Although not religious I think it is time for Christians to take up arms about these attacks on their beliefs....
- Paul F, Land of the South Saxons, England, 16/3/2012 15:22 43

I can see it now, Antiques Roadshow in 2758, admiring an artifact that proves that the Great Holy War of 2012-2031 which killed 6.2 billion people was caused by Jeremy Clarkson being mildly irritated. :lol:

But he wouldn't be allowed to say anything about Muslims...oh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:19 am 

KevS wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure a blasphemous reference to Mohammed would have been edited or bleeped out. Typical hypocritical BBC. Although not religious I think it is time for Christians to take up arms about these attacks on their beliefs....
- Paul F, Land of the South Saxons, England, 16/3/2012 15:22 43

I can see it now, Antiques Roadshow in 2758, admiring an artifact that proves that the Great Holy War of 2012-2031 which killed 6.2 billion people was caused by Jeremy Clarkson being mildly irritated. :lol:

But he wouldn't be allowed to say anything about Muslims...oh

Top gear is filmed INSIDE A MOSQUE - FACT!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:57 pm 

TV licence cheats make up a TENTH of all magistrate court cases

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cases.html

the BBC bashers are out in force today.

Quote:
Some TV licence fee comparisons for you, Denmark £264.73, Finland £ 213.72, Germany £188.29, Iceland £186.32, Norway £274.70, Sweden £202.87, Switzerland £314.73,United Kingdom £145.50. Perhaps some of you may have spotted something here.

- Anne, West Midlands EU, 20/3/2012 4:53
Click to rate Rating 14

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1pgpjWjGG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 pm 

Paul wrote:
TV licence cheats make up a TENTH of all magistrate court cases

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cases.html

the BBC bashers are out in force today.

If people break the law, the law should be abolished. Commonsense innit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 402  Next