It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 661 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next

POTUS 2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: POTUS 2012
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:56 pm 

Since we are now in what always proves to be the short 12 month run-up to Presidential elections, it's probably worth establishing a dedicated thread for comments on the great circus.

And circus is what it is proving to be. Clearly with Obama secure in seeking re-election, at this stage all of the interest is on the shambolic contest between the Republican nominees. Even with Donald Trump and Sarah Palin officially out of the race, it really is a comical parade of fuckwits that the GOP is faced with.

Herman Cain, incredibly the front-runner, has followed Rick Perry in revealing himself publically to be a pea-brained fuckwit:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/15/herman-cain-libya-gaffe?newsfeed=true

Rick Perry himself had already fucked himself up the arse in similar manner :

http://www.leftfootforward.org/2011/11/republican-primaries-latest-14-11-11/

So what we appear to have is a scenario where the only faintly credible Republican candidate is Mitt Romney. And he's an eyeball-swivelling Mormon fuckwit.

A shoo-in for Obama? Or shouldn't we under-estimate ordinary Americans' capacity to embrace the dangerous simpleton?

Post subject: Re: POTUS 2012
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:28 pm 

Abernathy wrote:
A shoo-in for Obama? Or shouldn't we under-estimate ordinary Americans' capacity to embrace the dangerous simpleton?

Two words: Bush, Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:14 pm 

I'm calling it now: Romney / Huntsman. They'll win.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:27 pm 

Timbo wrote:
I'm calling it now: Romney / Huntsman. They'll win.

Callng the Republican nomination, or the Presidency?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:26 am 

Both. I'd dearly love Obama to win, and see due credit for a lot of the stuff he's put into place, but I think if the Republicans can sort themselves out and field a mediocre, centrist ticket, the decisive chunk of the American public in swing states will tip over to them. The rate at which the nuttier Republican candidates are imploding leaves a clear field for Romney to scoop it, and I think he'll be keen to avoid the 'Palin effect'. That leaves Jon Huntsman as the obvious choice for VP.

A lot of broad logical leaps there, I know, but if I were forced to rampantly speculate how this will play out, that's where my 10p is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:38 am 

You do have a point. Romney has clearly learned from the last Republican race that he needs to play down his bonkers Mormonism (while of course continuing to stress his root christian, god-believin' credentials). If he plays the long game while his rivals continue to self-destruct, he could clearly take it. I'm wondering, though, whether Newt Gingrich can be entirely ruled out just yet?

As for the election itself, I'd just say don't underestimate Obama's campaign machine. It was formidable 3 to 4 years ago, and will be again. Fuck, I'd go over there to work with them myself if I could afford the time and expense.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:18 am 

If it's Romney and Huntsman then who knows, I still would side with Obama, it's odd that they aren't looking to push someone from elsewhere though perhaps maybe the Tea Party is to much of an issue inside the Republican's to field anything better than Romney.

That makes 2016 a worry mind.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 am 

I think Obama will win again, because the Republicans have no obvious clear top man/woman. Their internal groups all hate each other for various reasons but all have to court all those various groups, and at the same time it's starting to trickle through that they're holding up things in Congress deliberately to try and knacker the economy so they can blame Obama.

They gambled, and I don't think it's paying off the way they thought. I think this time out they'll self-destruct in the same way Obama vs Clinton almost did 4 years ago, only worse because that was at least two credible, strong candidates.

However - I reckon Jeb Bush will run and walk it in 2016. But at least he's somewhat less of an idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:04 pm 

They'll go for the senate. And happily live with a lame duck Democrat president for 4 years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:05 pm 

btw, anyone see "freemarket" Rick Perry shovelling money the way of some of his supporters a while ago?

Apparently it was a public sector venture capital enterprise, or something.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:04 am 

I wouldn't give any of the Republican candidates the job of mopping out my bog, so I expect one of them to be the most powerful person on the planet very soon. Which is a shame because my Obama mania is going full throttle still. :(

Ok. I've had a rethink. They can all mop out my bog.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:45 pm 

Location: Back in Blighty where the feckin' internet works...
Herman Cain seems to be trying to outdo himself.
This from Yahoo - he was attending a rally at a Christian theme park (you couldn't make it up) and

Quote:
He made a campaign appearance at a Christian theme-park called “Holy Land” on Friday, and spoke of his elation at the fact that his Muslim-sounding doctor wasn’t actually Muslim.

Yahoo! News reported:

He did have a slight worry at one point during the chemotherapy process when he discovered that one of the surgeon’s name was “Dr. Abdallah.”

“I said to his physician assistant, I said, ‘That sounds foreign–not that I had anything against foreign doctors–but it sounded too foreign,” Cain tells the audience. “She said, ‘He’s from Lebanon.’ Oh, Lebanon! My mind immediately started thinking, wait a minute, maybe his religious persuasion is different than mine! She could see the look on my face and she said, ‘Don’t worry, Mr. Cain, he’s a Christian from Lebanon.’”

“Hallelujah!” Cain says. “Thank God!”

The crowd laughs uneasily.

http://www.leftfootforward.org/2011/11/ ... n-derails/

Also in that piece:

Quote:
Rick Perry has been spreading fear about the possibility of Hamas and Hezbollah – traditionally based in Palestine and Lebanon, respectively – operating out of Mexico.

Talking Points Memo reports:

“We’re seeing countries start to come in and infiltrate. We know that Hamas and Hezbollah are working in Mexico as well as Iran with their ploy to come into the United States,” Perry said.

He continued: We know that Hugo Chavez… and the Iranian government has one of the largest — I think their largest embassy in the world is in Venezuela. So the idea that we need to have border security with the United States and Mexico is paramount to the entire western hemisphere.”

Finally, Mitt Romney has managed the impressive feat of not being able to make his mind up over his own name.

TPM reports:

Responding to Wolf Blitzer’s own self-introduction — in which Wolf said “and yes, that is my real name” — Romney began: “I’m Mitt Romney — and yes Wolf, that’s also my first name.”

Except Romney’s first name is “Willard,” and “Mitt” is his middle name.

With almost a year until the election, it’s worth stocking up on popcorn, because this spectacle is not ending any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:00 pm 

Quote:
“I said to his physician assistant, I said, ‘That sounds foreign–not that I had anything against foreign doctors–but it sounded too foreign,”

"I have nothing against foreigners, but he was an uber-foreigner!!!"

Reclaiming "methinks" for the nation

Latest blog post - 2011 - a review (updated 07/10)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:02 pm 

Yes, how does one put one's finger on the tipping point where a foreigner becomes just "too" foreign?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:07 pm 

That list in full...

NOT FOREIGN

BIT FOREIGN

FOREIGN

BIT MORE FOREIGN

"DON'T PUSH IT" FOREIGN

TOO FOREIGN

ZOMFG FOREIGN!!!!1!!!

Reclaiming "methinks" for the nation

Latest blog post - 2011 - a review (updated 07/10)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 661 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next