It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: The Daily Mail Agenda

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:45 am 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -class-war

And it's simplistic to say that Dacre is just an employee

Quote:
The Daily Mail editor, Paul Dacre – long regarded as the best-paid editor on Fleet Street – received a salary of £1.64m this year, but did not receive a bonus.

His pay and benefits package, up slightly from £1.62m in 2008, included fees and salary of £1.13m. He received a cash allowance of £479,000 instead of membership of the senior executive pension fund and instead of Daily Mail & General Trust providing him with central London accommodation.

Dacre also received benefits of £23,000, which included a company car, fuel and medical insurance payments, but the editor does not participate in the company's annual bonus scheme.

Almost uniquely in Fleet Street for an editorial executive, Dacre sits on the main board of DMGT.

Dacre, who is also editor-in-chief of Associated Newspapers, the DGMT subsidiary that publishes the Daily Mail, saw his empire shrink this year when the company sold 75.1% of the London Evening Standard to Russian businessman Alexander Lebedev.

From 2009

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:59 am 

Location: Back in Blighty where the feckin' internet works...
Rightly reminded by Smod I am re-reading Flat Earth News (now available on Kindle). In it Davies makes the point that whereas at one time newspaper editors and proprietors established and maintained newspapers to promote a political agenda, in the modern age (post Wapping 1985) they are more likely to be promoting business and personal wealth matters.

In today's Guardian George Monbiot covers much of the same theme.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -class-war

A key statement, early on, is "The men who own the corporate press are fighting a class war, seeking, even now, to defend the 1% to which they belong against its challengers. But because they control much of the conversation, we seldom see it in these terms. Our press re-frames major issues so effectively, it often recruits its readers to mobilise against their own interests."

Moonie needs to think about the emboldened part.

Quote:
These papers recognise the existence of an oppressive elite, but they frame it purely in political terms. The political elite becomes oppressive when it tries to curb the powers and freedoms of the economic elite.

Quote:
Press barons have been waging this class war for almost a century, and it has hobbled progressive politics throughout that time. But the closed circle of embedded journalism is now so tight that it has almost created an alternative reality.

Quote:
It's not just Murdoch and his network of sleazy crooks: our political system has been corrupted by the entire corporate media. Defending ourselves from the economic elite means naming and unmasking the power of the press.

I'd like to come back to this 'alternative reality' later.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 pm 

As a tangent (or not even that) one important aspect of the Mail and Express is that if you read them, you get the feeling that the only opponents to its worldview are do-gooders. Anyone who's a realist is a Mailite. There is no alternative, as it's called.

I grew up with the Express, and it was a real shock later in life to see film of businessmen in the Midlands unhappy about the 1987 Election result. I bet Mailites now don't know that there are righties at The Economist and the FT who aren't impressed with Cameron's veto.

As it happens, the FT backed Labour in 1992, as the biggest party in a hung parliament.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:55 pm 

I wonder if the real reason Dacre liked Brown was because they both had a shared a common hatred of Tony Blair. Brown has always been more of a Eurosceptic than Blair so that would score him points with Dacre. Brown and Dacre also seem have similar management styles venting their displeasure at underlings when something goes wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:09 pm 

Location: Back in Blighty where the feckin' internet works...
I've just had a look at the transcript of Dacre's submission to the seminar stage of the Leveson enquiry.

http://hackinginquiry.org/news/paul-dac ... y-seminar/

It's an abrasive performance, arrogant, not really seeing the need for change. There's a lot of 'not us m'lud, it was the other boys' about it, and of course the announcement that the Mail would have a small corrections corner - as though that makes everything OK.

Quote:
I unequivocally condemn phone hacking and payments to the police. Such practices are a disgrace and have shocked and shamed us all.

Really? So why didn't you print any stories about it? Why did you criticise the Guardian for sticking with the story? How come Motorman found that the Mail titles had used private investigators more than any other newspaper, including the NotW - a fact you still have yet to publish?

Quote:
They need to be purged from journalism and reforms instigated to prevent such criminal activities ever happening again.

We'll come back to that, but essentially the 'reforms' will be bigger corrections after the event.

Quote:
But let’s keep all this in proportion. Britain’s cities weren’t looted as a result. No-one died. The banks didn’t collapse because of the News of the World. Elected politicians continued to steal from the people they were paid to represent.

Well, of course, this is the oldest 'schoolboy defence' - you can't punish me because someone else did something worse. Note also the first Dacre Obsession - politicians, always seen as venal, corrupt and dishonest.

Quote:
The nation didn’t go to war. Yet the response has been a judicial inquiry with greater powers than those possessed by the public inquiries into the Iraq war – an inquiry, incidentally, that includes a panel of experts who – while honourable distinguished people – don’t have the faintest clue how mass-selling newspapers operate.

So he is saying here that because the 'panel' has no tabloid editors or proprietors on it their recommendations will automatically be flawed. Like me, you might think that having red-top editors on the panel would inevitably lead to special pleading and watering down of changes, but hey - I've never edited a newspaper so I'm not allowed to have an opinion on ethics. That's really what he's saying. Incredible arrogance.

Quote:
Indeed, am I alone in detecting the rank smells of hypocrisy and revenge in the political class’s current moral indignation over a British press that dared to expose their greed and corruption – the same political class, incidentally, that, until a few weeks ago, had spent years indulging in sickening genuflection to the Murdoch press.

There's that love of the 'political classes' - you have to wonder where such hatred came from. Could it be that he's a frustrated failed politician?

Quote:
the political class’s current obsession with clamping down on the press is contiguous with the depressing fact that the newspaper industry is in a sick financial state. Several of our quality papers are losing awesome amounts of money. More worrying, Britain’s proud provincial and local press – currently subject to closures, mergers and swingeing cuts – is arguably facing the severest challenges.

This diminishes our democracy. Courts go uncovered. Councils aren’t held to account. And the corrupt go unchallenged. That is a democratic deficit that in itself is worthy of an inquiry.

Here he is actually saying that if the press is regulated (remember the regulation we are talking about is that they will be prevented from illegally accessing private information except where there is a public interest defence) (and not lying) we will damage democracy, because the papers are losing money and it must therefore be through hacking, blagging and lying that they sell enough papers to stay afloat. In fact the courts and councils going uncovered goes back many years (see Flat Earth News) and is attributable to the removal of all motives except profit - of which Dacre is the most extreme example. Someone should have asked him how many journalists Associated Newspapers have cut from local papers in the last 15 years. None of which have been accused of wrongdoing.

Quote:
The Data Protection Act means that reporters can be criminalised for such basic journalist practices as obtaining ex-directory numbers which they need to do to check stories are accurate.

They can be 'criminalised' (interesting term) for engaging in criminal acts, he means. He then goes on to tar privacy laws and no-win no-fee legal cases. In effect he wants the press to be able to operate above the law.

Quote:
Meanwhile the Bribery Act – in which there’s no public interest defence – makes it illegal to pay a civil servant for information that could reveal corruption and, indeed, would have prevented The Telegraph from paying for the material confirming MPs’ fraud.

An argument in favour of bribery and corruption. Not something you see every day. Of course, the Telegraph could still have had its information, if the source had believed enough in what they were doing to part with it free of charge - the essence of whistleblowing. Whistleblowing for money has other names.

Quote:
My last paradox is that this demand for greater press regulation comes at a time when more and more of the information that people want to read is being provided by an utterly unregulated and arguably anarchic internet.

Dacre doesn't get the internet, hence his pejorative comments. In fact large chunks are regulated under communications law, and of course he can always take on anyone he doesn't like. Oh, he has? Apart from pinching copy and pictures.

Quote:
the PCC was naïve

Fell off the sofa giggling at that one.

Quote:
it is vital that the good work of the PCC, helping vulnerable people obtain protection and redress, without compromising freedom of expression, is not lost.

He's playing it for laughs, now. Jan Moir? PCC can't act on behalf of 3rd parties or the dead. Quite.

Quote:
Some way must be found to compel all newspaper owners to fund and participate in self-regulation.
God knows, the industry fought hard enough to prevent it, but the Express Group’s decision to leave the PCC was a body blow to the commission. How can you have self-regulation when a major newspaper group unilaterally withdraws from it?

Dog eating dog?

Quote:
My own view is that as long as the code is observed and no law is broken, papers should be free to publish what they believe is best for their markets.

Quite apart from the breathtaking gall, that is significant. Newspapers no longer have readers whom they interest and inform, they have markets from which they draw revenue.

Quote:
Over the past month, I have read calls by so-called academic experts for the licensing of journalists and the need for a regulator with supervisory powers over the press, to set and monitor standards and have the right – backed by the force of the law – to conduct spot checks on newspaper offices and seize equipment and evidence.

My own response to these experts is that they should emigrate to Zimbabwe.

Doesn't do irony, does he?

A bravura performance, certainly, and the clearest I have seen for essentially maintaining the status quo because it works so well, if you can just stop the PCC from being so annoyingly naive. He also advocates a press ombudsman, but it's hard to see how that position would do anything other than confuse matters vis-a-vis the PCC.

Have a read, see what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:59 pm 

Egomaniacal arrogance doesn't really do it justice, does it? I think you summed it up pretty well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2