It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Re: Tax Payers Alliance

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Tax Payers Alliance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:57 pm 

When the TPA are invited onto a TV show or interviewed on the news I just wish the people doing the interview would take the time to do a bit of research so that they can properly challenge some of their stupid claims. Alan Duncan totally panned Emma Booth on Question Time when he kept asking her to state actual facts or figures.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:55 pm 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 48662.html

This cunt is new to me.

Quote:
John O'Connell, from the TaxPayers' Alliance, said the tax system was "too complicated and too burdensome".

"There is a culture of dependency on those out of work... but there is a culture of dependency for working families too and I think that comes through taking too much money in taxes, churning it through bureaucracy which can cost billions of pounds a year and then giving some back as tax credits," he told the BBC.

He said the TaxPayers' Alliance suggested having a lower tax burden and lifting the personal allowance to £10,000 and it was crucial to "engender a culture of responsibility".

"I don't think it's fair that tweaking tax credits makes or breaks whether a family can fill their car with petrol, pay their electricity bills or do their shopping at the end of the week.

"We need to leave more money in the pockets of people who earn the money in the first place."

As ever, the problem is people don't want to work.

I've never heard of a culture of dependency among people working before. Yeah, gimme more crap wages, I fucking love it.

The lowest paid don't reach the tax threshold, you fucking idiot. Raising it doesn't help them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:32 pm 

On the theme of politicians repeating sill buzzwords:

Quote:
In a speech to shopworkers' union Usdaw today, shadow chief secretary to the Treasury Rachel Reeves will describe it as a "tax credits bombshell" which will hit "parents in the squeezed middle who are working and trying to do the right thing".

Reeves made some good points this week about the supposedly positive narrowing of the trade gap. She can obviously do better than this.

How about someone talk about the "working poor" for a change?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:38 am 

Location: That fancy London, with it's book learning. Sadly not being anywhere else..
The squeezed middle.

Because of course it is only the middle classes who are "doing the right thing", only they who are suffering simply for trying to raise their children properly and do an honest days work.

The working classes naturaly don't, most are living off benefits now aren't they - and the few that do work pay a mere penny a paycheck in tax per week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:42 am 

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
How about someone talk about the "working poor" for a change?

All sides of the same coin, I'm afraid. This slippery sloganeering and faux branding of groups within what we used to call "working class" is little more than an attempt to set one group against the other. A sense of common purpose and solidarity makes way for the politics-of-envy remixed and calibrated inwards for- and upon the soundbite generation. The rich get richer AND GUESS WHO'S PAYING?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:47 am 

I don't think so. That people work and are still poor seems to me to be hugely important.

Even the Mail readers think people who wipe old people's bottoms for the minimum wage deserve a decent life.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:58 am 

I think it's because the vast majority of media types and politicians are middle-class, they effectively are insulated from the working-class - they don't even consider them as worthy of pushing rhetoric against or even consider that they exist beyond the scary tabloid portraits. No, everyone who counts is part of the squeezed middle.

No wonder the rise of the BNP, the EDL and the Sun etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:02 am 

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I don't think so. That people work and are still poor seems to me to be hugely important.

Even the Mail readers think people who wipe old people's bottoms for the minimum wage deserve a decent life.

I agree wholeheartedly (although mail readers might not in the case of Poles doing the arsewiping) and admit to seeing red at another label: one which, on reflection, might indeed go some way to challenging the them-and-us myths that are given legs by this b(r)andwaggon.

Note to self: Read. Digest. Post. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:31 pm 

The Taxpayers' Alliance Wiki page is worth a read if you've not yet done so. I found it quite interesting, as Mr Fry might say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TaxPayers'_Alliance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 pm 
Lord of Flangebury-Under-Scythe

Quote:
n 2006, the TaxPayers' Alliance won the ConservativeHome “One to Watch” award. In November 2007, chief executive Matthew Elliott was presented with the Conservative Way Forward ‘One of Us’ award by shadow foreign secretary William Hague.

'One of Us' award? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:42 pm 

mojojojo wrote:
Quote:
n 2006, the TaxPayers' Alliance won the ConservativeHome “One to Watch” award. In November 2007, chief executive Matthew Elliott was presented with the Conservative Way Forward ‘One of Us’ award by shadow foreign secretary William Hague.

'One of Us' award? :roll:

Shouldn't it be more widely known that the Conservatives award a "One of us" trophy every year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:10 am 

I also hear the Conservative Homophobe Club has a "One of Them" award.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:12 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:14 am 

Quote:
Shouldn't it be more widely known that the Conservatives award a "One of us" trophy every year.

I try and catch it every year. For those who missed them here are some previous winners.

Quote:
I also hear the Conservative Homophobe Club has a "One of Them" award.

Ha! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:35 am 

I believe there is also the Homophone "Won of Us " award.

I'll get my coat...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next