It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: The Sun on Sunday

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: The Sun on Sunday
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:49 pm 

Readers are essentially paying 20p more for the same product.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:18 pm 

I'm looking forward to the Mash's article about it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:21 pm 

Is that cover I linked to the right one, then?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:24 pm 

Location: In that Yoorup with its Cultural Traditions and no warm beer.
Seems to be, much to general surprise. Very ho-hum and bland.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:10 pm 

From Fact To Fiction on Radio 4 was good if you have 15 minutes to spare.

John Godber's topical drama is inspired by this week's news. Two gravediggers (Mark Addy and Dicken Ashworth) contemplate the ideal Sunday newspaper.
Listen again
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cj2hj

It seems The S.O.S's front page should have read "Jeremy Clarkson's a lesbian". :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:25 pm 

satnav wrote:
The front page looks like a story that has been supplied by Max Clifford. Perhaps it was part of his settlement with NI that they would keep paying him for drivel like this.

Mr Fflaps brought the bloody thing into the house this morning because 'it's the first one' :roll: The Amanda Holden story is spread over four fucking pages as well as the front page.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:27 pm 

Amanda Holden is spread over four pages? Think she needs to go back to the gyno, in that case.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:45 pm 

Murdoch tweeted 3 million sales. Yet the average for the NOTW was 2.67 million which isn't a great return given all the heavy publicity and initial public interest. I doubt it'll be that level next week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:37 pm 

I wonder how Murdoch could have arrived at a sales figure quite so quickly, I would have thought sales figures will only be confirmed tomorrow when all the unsold copies are returned to the wholesalers. Even if the figure is accurate it still means that Murdoch has spent £3m on advertising to generate £1.5m worth of newspaper sales. I can't imagine he can be making a great deal on each paper sold after production and distribution costs are deducted and presumably newsagents must also make so much from each copy sold.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:47 pm 

I imagine they sold a few pages of advertising (do they still have those plates and shit in the magazine?). I believe the advertising rates are related to circulation, when The Sun dipped below 3million they cut the cover price within the M25, the advertising rate was far more important than what they recouped from selling the paper.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:55 am 

satnav wrote:
I wonder how Murdoch could have arrived at a sales figure quite so quickly, I would have thought sales figures will only be confirmed tomorrow when all the unsold copies are returned to the wholesalers.

Newsagents, supermarkets and the like send the returns figures to the distributors before midnight by GPRS. I doubt whether small independents and kiosks etc.have that option but Rupe's peeps are probably making an educated guess based on those numbers. Besides, if his media output over the years is anything to go by, statistical rigour isn't an exact science.

On a personal note, 120 copies delivered, 89 returned! I'm claiming partial credit for my deadpan "I hear Katie Price has her own column" sales pitch.

Mailwatch NFSE NESW :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:09 am 

SoulBoy wrote:
I imagine they sold a few pages of advertising (do they still have those plates and shit in the magazine?). I believe the advertising rates are related to circulation, when The Sun dipped below 3million they cut the cover price within the M25, the advertising rate was far more important than what they recouped from selling the paper.

I would imagine that most advertisers will have been offered a special rate for the first few months of publication until proper sales figures can be established, if the figures do drop in the next weeks they will probably struggle to get advertisers to stump up the kind of fees that the NOTW used to command. I wonder how many companies will advertise on a Saturday and a Sunday if the two papers are so similar?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:42 am 

satnav wrote:
I wonder how Murdoch could have arrived at a sales figure quite so quickly, I would have thought sales figures will only be confirmed tomorrow when all the unsold copies are returned to the wholesalers. Even if the figure is accurate it still means that Murdoch has spent £3m on advertising to generate £1.5m worth of newspaper sales. I can't imagine he can be making a great deal on each paper sold after production and distribution costs are deducted and presumably newsagents must also make so much from each copy sold.

tbh it would be economically sound for him to take a loss on the relaunch in order to dig his teeth into the Sunday market. Hopefully the initial curiosity drops off and we see next Sunday's sales drop below 2m. Hitting this bastard in the pocket is probably the only thing that would hurt him really; he's like some sort of evil, fiscally-orientated vampire.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:22 am 

According to a BBC article the run was only over 3 million....

Quote:
The print run for this first Sun on Sunday was more than three million, compared with the Sun's weekday sale of 2.8 million and the News of the World's sale, before its closure, of 2.7 million.

So he probably expects no returns..... I guess he didn't send any to Liverpool.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 pm 

I'm already sick of hearing about the bloody thing. The BBC's coverage has been absolutely slavish in not wanting to seem anti-Murdoch. The disgusting old crook's idea of putting all the blame on the toxic NOTW brand actually seems to be working!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next