It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 27  Next

Re: Olden days were the best or summat...

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:46 am 

From the comments:
Quote:
I was fondled by my borstal master back in the day which never did no harm. WIthout the firm feel of him gripping me around the neck whilst indecently touching me I doubt I would have survived the war. Our sexual relationship solidified me, in and out.
- Alfred, Merry upon Heath, 29/3/2012 11:30

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:43 am 

Quote:
Sweeps, nomads, quacks and crawlers: The exotic down and outs of Victorian London captured on camera in the 1870s

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1qmPlNt20
Interesting photos though. I can remember both my grandmothers who were alive in the 1870s.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:38 pm 

Location: Back in Blighty where the feckin' internet works...
Very interesting. Also that newspaper websites are now taking over the old rôle of the illustrated papers with photo-essays and spreads like this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:20 pm 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... urore.html

Oh FGS. British tastes have moved on shock horror fury. And nearly 500 people have bothered to comment. How hard is it to get your head round the concept that if you don't like something, find an alternative that you do like from the wide range of available substitutes? Saves so much time and angst, I find. And helps the blood pressure.

And in other news: butter isn't as yellow as it used to be, it isn't always snowy at Christmas and sunny from May to August and chicken isn't as delicious as it was when people only ate it occasionally. O tempora, o mores.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:46 pm 

Eurghh. The pointlessness.

Last edited by Carlos The Badger on Thu Feb 31, 2021 18:60 am, edited 666 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:51 pm 

"Internet furore" = non-story. Twenty years ago it would have been "man in pub gets annoyed about something trivial; the next morning nobody can quite remember what it was".

There you go, proof that the olden days was indeed better. None of that twitting nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:44 pm 

The great thing about a good 'internet furore' is that it's proof to the faithful that the Internet is a big waste of time* used exclusively by feckless youths who all vote labour anyway and have no idea about anything and grr arrgh down the coal mines bring back borstal.

Of course, it never occurs to them that one aspect of the internet is the relative anonymity it grants, if one so wishes. The people complaining about whatever may well be (shock horror!) people just like you. They may be people you'd not suspect at first sight of having such opinions. They may be feigning 'outrage' for a bit of a laugh. There's another Mailite bugbear there - people acting spontaneously**. And seeming to enjoy themselves.

*Mailite classic - Anything I don't understand = waste of time.

**As opposed to venting their spleens on cue, through identified channels, as and when the Editor orders it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:00 pm 

Quote:
The birth of the modern playground: The giant wooden plank in Kettering that was the world's first children's slide built 90 years ago (and the man who made this also invented the modern swing)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1sInXR9wI

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:13 pm 

Arnold wrote:
Quote:
The birth of the modern playground: The giant wooden plank in Kettering that was the world's first children's slide built 90 years ago (and the man who made this also invented the modern swing)

Predictable comments are... predictable.

Last edited by Carlos The Badger on Thu Feb 31, 2021 18:60 am, edited 666 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:51 pm 

Carlos The Badger wrote:
Arnold wrote:
Quote:

Predictable comments are... predictable.

Apparently Elf and Safety is bad because fewer children are breaking their arms.

Do these people consider themselves the cutting edge of comedy?
I see only idiots who fail elementary logic.

Aside, Wicksteed park is/was a great place for a day out.
I used to go there when visiting Grandparents.

There were a few "Pay to go" rides including an excellent train, rowing boats, water chute that seemed to derail almost every turn and canoes in small ponds.
My favourite bit was a huge area full of swings, slides and climbing frames.
This was the Wicksteed company showpiece where potential buyers could watch the gear in action.

They also rolled out their newest stuff there.
It was great when a new plaything turned up in the local park, and you could tell your friends that you'd been on the prototype 2 years ago.

Being the early '70s space rocket climbing frames were much in vogue.
My favourite was tipped up and 45 degrees and had delta wings that functioned as slides.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:13 pm 

Quote:
Eee, it were great. I spent many happy hours bent over a chair while me mum picked splinters out of my buttocks.

- Alfred, UK, 17/4/2012 14:45

Quote:
Wooden planks!? They were lucky! Back in my day we used to climb up the inside of the chimney and slide down the roof! Sometimes, as a special treat my dad would put the fire out before we climbed up, and my mother would catch us in a hair net. But we were happy! None of this nonsense 'elf n safety' back then then eh granddad!

- Robert, Manchester, 17/4/2012 13:06

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm 
in a handcart

Quote:
It's a wonder the children in the modern photos are not obliged to wear crash helmets.

- Joe Blow, Wales, 17/4/2012 12:49

It's amazing how people can see with their own eyes that H&S isn't quite as bad as it's made out to be, and yet still believe it is...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:15 pm 

hel wrote:
Quote:
It's a wonder the children in the modern photos are not obliged to wear crash helmets.

- Joe Blow, Wales, 17/4/2012 12:49

It's amazing how people can see with their own eyes that H&S isn't quite as bad as it's made out to be, and yet still believe it is...

There's a family who enjoy the recreation area in our local park.
They always fit the 2 children with full-face BMX helmets before allowing them on the equipment.
I think it a little odd, and probably excessive.
However I don't mouth off about it like Joe, because I don't know whether the kids might have some condition that makes them more likely to fall, or more susceptible to injury.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 pm 

I heard a bit of a programme on Radio 4 a fortnight ago which was discussing cycle-helmets. Apparently the government have been investigating the possibility of making them compulsory. The programme presented evidence that only children would benefit as only they fall off bikes. Adults get knocked off by cars where a helmet wouldn't make any difference.
Australia which has had compulsory cycle helmets for awhile is apparently considering repealing the law as it has made cycling so un-cool with kids. They are balancing a small risk of increased head injuries against a far greater risk of childhood obesity.

Edit The programme was Inside Health
Listen again http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01f5mn6 - the segment in question is about halfway through I think.
Quote:
There are confusing statistics surrounding the debate over the use of bicycle helmets for both adults and children. Some research points to helmets encouraging car drivers to give cyclists less space in traffic. Up to a third of children in another study said wearing a helmet would put them off cycling in the first place - bad news for parents concerned about childhood obesity. GP Margaret McCartney uses her own risk analysis to work out how to keep herself safe and fit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:52 pm 

Quote:
England's First Public Park was at DERBY. J. C. Loudon to created a "Pleasure Ground" or "Recreation Ground" "to offer the inhabitants of the town the opportunity of enjoying, with their families, exercise, and recreation in the fresh air, in public walks and grounds devoted to that purpose". on Wed Sept 16th 1840.. Law Olmsted, designer of Central Park, New York was influenced by the park and his design for Central Park, sections of which bear a close resemblance to Derby Arboretum.
- John, Wales, 17/4/2012 11:26

What the blue fuck is so bad about this post that it's been red arrowed?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 27  Next