It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 101  Next

Re: Boris Johnson deserves his own thread

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:21 pm 

The latest poll has Johnson ahead 54-46 in the run-off. I just wonder how much of this is down to the Evening Standard effect - by all accounts it's turned into a propaganda pamphlet for Johnson since the campaign kicked off (I was living in London in 2008 and I recall there were similar complaints then). It's worth asking whether it's really acceptable for a free sheet - particularly one as high-profile as the Evening Standard - to take such a blatantly politically biased line.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:35 am 

new puritan wrote:
The latest poll has Johnson ahead 54-46 in the run-off. I just wonder how much of this is down to the Evening Standard effect - by all accounts it's turned into a propaganda pamphlet for Johnson since the campaign kicked off (I was living in London in 2008 and I recall there were similar complaints then). It's worth asking whether it's really acceptable for a free sheet - particularly one as high-profile as the Evening Standard - to take such a blatantly politically biased line.

Of course it isn't, but who's going to stop it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:47 am 

2008 was fucking incredible.

Lovable Boris has this chap as his spin doctor:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2005 ... servatives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:50 am 

Standard today trumpeting £110m for cycling projects and all axed by Johnson from before, and worth 2 years Western Congestion Zone income he threw away. They did an even handed bit but then said "Boris will get more money out of central government". An argument they didn't make in 2008.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:23 pm 

Excellent. Standard worried the "granny tax" could cost Johnson the election. Seeing Johnson wanted the 50p tax rate to go altogether, he would presumably have had to hit ordinary joes harder than Osborne did.

Let's see you "maverick" your way out of that. Maybe Lynton Crosbie can identify some more Muslims or something.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:59 pm 

Johnson wants to take oversight of schools in London from LEAs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012 ... ndon-riots

Seeing Gove wants no schools left in LEAs, that's a rather interesting proposal.

Not to mention that London LEAs are being followed as good practice. All except Merton and Croydon have been rated as adding value.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:43 am 

One hour with Boris Johnson for a suggested donation of £2,012

Quote:
Boris Johnson’s campaign are offering supporters the chance to attend a drinks reception with the London mayor – for a whopping donation of £2,012. The elite group of donors is styled as an exclusive “private members club”.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:11 am 

Funny. The big money clearly gets you access, but they'll easily argue that's just a fundraiser.

They seem to have been less careful with the £12, which they actually say is a chance to win access.

If this develops, I bet he'll make a load of jokes about the £12and get away with it.

Btw, the biography by Sonia Purnell is good. Loads of bad shit already forgotten. Including a deputy mayor called Ian Clement being convicted of fraud.

Still, Livingstone employed that black bloke- who didn't even face charges.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 am 

Samanfur wrote:
One hour with Boris Johnson for a suggested donation of £2,012

Quote:
Boris Johnson’s campaign are offering supporters the chance to attend a drinks reception with the London mayor – for a whopping donation of £2,012. The elite group of donors is styled as an exclusive “private members club”.

I bet he wouldn't try that outside a mosque, or on a bus.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:02 pm 

I see the Evening Standard has a new editor.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/ma ... g-standard

Quote:
It is understood that Sands, the Evening Standard deputy editor, had said she would resign to join Greig as his deputy on the Sunday tabloid, because Lebedev had wanted to take his time in deciding who would take the top job.

However, Sands changed her mind, partly at the urging of London mayor and friend Boris Johnson, who is understood to have said she would regret not sitting in the editor's chair.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:46 pm 

Boris Johnson in foul-mouthed rant at Ken Livingstone over tax claims
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012 ... ivingstone

In which both come off badly. I'm sadprised* that Labour have stuck with Ken, it seems like they need someone new, untainted, and young to run. As an outsider I find both of them quite disagreeable as candidates, although Boris slightly more due to his shadier past.

*aw yeah, fuck you 'disappointed'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:56 pm 

Location: The bleak, soul-less wastes of the Greener Borough...
That's a very fair point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:23 pm 

Johnson has the easiest press of any politician.

No other politician but Livingstone would have done the congestion charge.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:45 pm 

Yeah but BORIS HEE FUNNEEEEE!

Not joking, such sentiments got him in last time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 pm 

Location: The bleak, soul-less wastes of the Greener Borough...
He's a legend, innee?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 101  Next