It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 88  Next

Re: Reasonably epic Mail Fail

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 am 

The kamikaze doodlebug: Secret variant of Hitler's V1 was designed to let pilot fly it to British targets (but surprisingly not enough volunteered)

[url]Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2HWKxM4DJ[/url]

This "secret" has only been in books about the war, and a couple of examples on display in museums for at least 60 years! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:26 pm 

The story intrigued me. I was quite impressed that the secrets of time travel had finally been unveiled to all. Sadly, it turns out their aim is to put a man on Mars by 2023, making the feat somewhat less impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:46 am 

me123 wrote:

The story intrigued me. I was quite impressed that the secrets of time travel had finally been unveiled to all. Sadly, it turns out their aim is to put a man on Mars by 2023, making the feat somewhat less impressive.

I'd be impressed if they do put a man on Mars by then. In truth, I'd be impressed if anyone steps foot on Mars this century.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:59 am 

They think they've overcome the biggest obstacles by suggesting one-way travel and the establishment of a permanent martian base. I'd be very surprised if that happened, for a variety of reasons, not least that I imagine the few people who do want to go to Mars permanently would be unable to set up a permanent sustainable martian base in the long term (i.e., long after they're dead). Rather than ignoring the issues surrounding a return trip, the best thing to do is try and generate a one-way trip.

I suspect we (as a species) could go to Mars this century. 2023 is a bit optimistic (still not as impressive as time travel!), but in the later stages of the century I think it could happen. We'd have to return to the Moon first, though. Using the moon as an "intermediate" to get to Mars is probably the best option.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:18 pm 

Making tracks: Wiggins teams up with Weller to release cover of The Jam single
According to The Mail
Quote:
Bradley Wiggins is set to release a single with his hero Paul Weller.

The Tour de France and Olympic champion will join The Jam frontman and bassist Bruce Foxton on a new version of Window Shopping.

They will be joined by guitar legend Steve Cropper and Russell Hastings – lead singer of tribute act From The Jam.

Paul Weller making a record with Bradley Wiggins? Highly unlikely, Wiggins is a fan, but Weller has never done a novelty record in his life.
Paul Weller and Bruce Foxton making a record together? Possible, they are now speaking again after 30 years of sulking and they did play a couple of songs together at a charity gig a while ago and Weller did play piano on one song on Foxton's album last year.
Paul Weller making a record with the faux 'Paul Weller' from a Jam tribute act? Ridiculous - why would he? What would be the point? Tribute acts are substitutes for the real thing, if the 'real thing' is available they're redundant.
There was never a Jam single called "Window Shopping" the closest was a B side called "Shopping". However, Bruce Foxton recorded a song called Window Shopping last year and Paul Weller played piano on it.

And finally:
Paul Weller's Facebook page wrote:
Please note that there is no truth whatsoever in today's reports that Paul is recording a song with Bradley Wiggins.

So who knows what the real story might be but it's certainly nothing like the crap The Mail are peddling.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... z2HqrwBwVw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:21 pm 

Crash pilot, 50, was one of UK's most experienced aviators and had more than 10,000 hours of air time with client list including Lewis Hamilton
Quote:
Pete Barnes had racked up 10,500 flying miles over 25-year career

Quote:
Experience: Pete Barnes, 50, had racked up 10,500 miles of flying time over 25 years

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:52 am 

Arnold wrote:
Crash pilot, 50, was one of UK's most experienced aviators and had more than 10,000 hours of air time with client list including Lewis Hamilton
Quote:
Pete Barnes had racked up 10,500 flying miles over 25-year career

Quote:
Experience: Pete Barnes, 50, had racked up 10,500 miles of flying time over 25 years

Probably why he crashed, flying at 1.05 mph.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:56 am 

PaulOnBooks wrote:

Probably why he crashed, flying at 1.05 mph.

Um... It was a helicopter. They can actually do that. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:11 pm 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
Quote:
Adorable video captures excitement of cat as it sees snow for the very first time

Quote:
Paul Marshallsea, a 62-year-old grandfather on holiday in Austrailia, grabbed a shark by its tail and hauled it out of the reach of children and toddlers who were playing in the shallow waters. Authorities believe the shark may have ended up beached due to illness and commended Mr Marshallsea for his quick and fearless response. Increidbly, the incident at Bulcock Beach, on Queensland's Sunshine Coast, was caught by a TV camera crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:45 pm 

Quote:
'Please come home safe': Distraught bride's appeal to husband who vanished after being told he'd lost his job at Blockbuster

Quote:
Police searching for Mr Akers confirmed that they had found a body near to Arrow Park hospital in Liverpool around 11am today.

Arrowe Park, and it's near Birkenhead not in Liverpool.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2Ipz2cJO1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:59 am 

You're forgetting the M25 rule... i.e the geographical accuracy of anything outside it is optional.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:45 am 

Outrage at raunchy pole-dancing show on university campus
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267991/Outrage-raunchy-pole-dancing-Glasgow-University-campus.html

Not really sure this is the right thread but someone who was actually involved in the "raunchy pole dancing" replied to the article and blew them out the water.

Basically it's more manufactured outrage and nobody really agrees with the D M at all.

Quote:
As a performer in last night's so called 'outrageous' show, I think it's only fair I point out some blatant lies and some simply weird word choice in this article :)

1. There was no 'outrage'. The majoirty of spectators were friends and family, and all were there of their own free will. They enjoyed it and gave us excellent feedback, 2 nights in a row.

2. 'Writhing semi-naked as they perform their raunchy routines, these young women look like professional pole-dancers.' Nobody 'writhed' because we are not snakes. And it would be nice if we looked as good as the pros (i.e. Alethea Austin, Jenyne Butterfly etc - all athletes) but we are simply ameteurs.

3. 'Those who fought for the right of women to go to university would be appalled by this club' Perhaps they would, but that was 90-100 years ago. And personally, my routine was a celebration of the rights of women. Maybe they would have been appalled, but deep down they would have appreciated it more than this article.

4. Participant Jessica Yorkshades is pictured.Nope. Not her. Sorry.

5 The outfits varied from cut-away backless leotards¿ I wore leotards when I started dancing at 2 years old In a routine entitled The Swinging 1960s, dancer, wore small pink hot-pants and a see-through top with a pink bra underneath, I've seen girls wear less to clubs.

6. I performed in black and gold pants and cropped tops. Yep. Outrageously, we have to wear shorts and cropped tops otherwise our skin does not stick to the pole and we may fall off and die. Outrageous. See those gymnasts wearing leotards/shorts? Outrageous.

7. The pole-dancing revelations come after a Safer Sex Ball brought notoriety to Exeter University nothing to do with us. In case you were not aware, Exeter is nowhere near Glasgow.

- k8d4wg, Glasgow, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:21 pm 

Quote:
where undergraduates as young as 17 are taking part in the ‘sport’.

But isn't 14 all grown up?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:09 am 

I know one or two of the girls mentioned in that article. I'm disgusted to see the Mail objectifying them in this way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:41 am 

Quote:
'Writhing semi-naked as they perform their raunchy routines...'

lascivious

las·civ·i·ous
[luh-siv-ee-uhs] Show IPA
adjective
inclined to lustfulness; wanton; lewd: a lascivious, girl-chasing old man.
arousing sexual desire: lascivious photographs.
indicating sexual interest or expressive of lust or lewdness: a lascivious gesture.
Origin:
1400–50; late Middle English < Latin lascīvi ( a ) playfulness, wantonness ( lascīv ( us ) playful, wanton + -ia -ia) + -ous

Related forms
las·civ·i·ous·ly, adverb
las·civ·i·ous·ness, noun
o·ver·las·civ·i·ous, adjective
o·ver·las·civ·i·ous·ly, adverb
o·ver·las·civ·i·ous·ness, noun

salacious

sa·la·cious
[suh-ley-shuhs] Show IPA
adjective
lustful or lecherous.
(of writings, pictures, etc.) obscene; grossly indecent.
Origin:
1635–45; < Latin salāci- (stem of salāx ) lustful (derivative of salīre to jump, move spasmodically, spurt; see salient, saltation) + -ous

Related forms
sa·la·cious·ly, adverb
sa·la·cious·ness, sa·lac·i·ty [suh-las-i-tee] , noun
un·sa·la·cious, adjective
un·sa·la·cious·ly, adverb
un·sa·la·cious·ness, noun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 88  Next