Topics about the Northern & Shell titles
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Samanfur
Membership Days Posts
#443248
The comments on this're cringe-inducing:

How our nation of poets lost its lines: Britons don't know Shakespeare from Keats

WE MAY have given the world Shakespeare, Wordsworth and Keats, but it seems our love of poetry is fading fast.

Researchers who quizzed 2,000 Britons found glaring gaps in the nation’s knowledge of famous lines.

Just over a quarter knew that the line “Water, water, everywhere, nor any drop to drink” was penned by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

While less than a fifth could identify these immortal words of Alfred Lord Tennyson: “Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.”

Kosmic
Soon be find a Briton to ask.

Sandy Brown
You do not really think that the children in school these days would know one from the other?. Not the way they are being taught these days.
Riccip
However they can tell you in detail the dates and meaning of every Muslim festival on the calendar.

They will also explain the lives of Nelson Mandela and Mahatma Gandhi, but ask them about Winston Churchill and they'll reply -- "Who?"

FreedomVideos
The truth is our culture is dying. Our politicians are racial replacing the English and as they do this our culture is dying also.

It is genocide culturally, socially, nationally, racially.

Multiculturalism is destroying the country its that simple

harryWyatt
Muslims....Thick primitive savages.... Only read one book!!!

"All the world's Muslims have fewer Nobel Prizes than Trinity College, Cambridge"

Richard Dawkins, biologist & writer.

All they understand is violence, p@edoph1l1a, , r@pe and subjugation of women

Riccip

"Multiculturalism creates parallel societies. Multiculturalism is a lie."
-- Angela Merkel, December 2015

And those're just from the first page. The Kippers must've woken up early this morning.
 
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
#443251
Considering their own grasp of poetry and English literature runs about as far as Shakespeare's ode to a daffodil ("If you can keep your head when all about you are going into the valley of death, Bob's your uncle"), the idea of any intelligent thought on that thread is slim.

Besides, so people aren't taught to recite poems by rote any more? Big deal. Rather than stand in front of class and give them "The boy stood on the burning deck...", kids are taught what the things in front of them actually mean.
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#443270
I wonder when he was last down the South Bank?

FreedomVideos
The truth is our culture is dying. Our politicians are racial replacing the English and as they do this our culture is dying also.

It is genocide culturally, socially, nationally, racially.

Multiculturalism is destroying the country its that simple
#443271
I don't know whether or not it's destroying the nation, but it has clearly fucked his ability to punctuate.
 
By Samanfur
Membership Days Posts
#443276
Andy McDandy wrote:Considering their own grasp of poetry and English literature runs about as far as Shakespeare's ode to a daffodil ("If you can keep your head when all about you are going into the valley of death, Bob's your uncle"), the idea of any intelligent thought on that thread is slim.

Besides, so people aren't taught to recite poems by rote any more? Big deal. Rather than stand in front of class and give them "The boy stood on the burning deck...", kids are taught what the things in front of them actually mean.

Absolutely. The whole article reminded me as I was reading it of the third edition of the Life in the UK Test textbook - you know, the one where there's a lot less noise about rights and entitlements, but you're expected to know chunks of Kipling and remember Blake's The Tyger.
 
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
#443283
youngian wrote:I wonder when he was last down the South Bank?

FreedomVideos
The truth is our culture is dying. Our politicians are racial replacing the English and as they do this our culture is dying also.

It is genocide culturally, socially, nationally, racially.

Multiculturalism is destroying the country its that simple


I think he means he saw some black people on Eastenders. And walking about and everything and not having to register with the police.

Meanwhile a thorough read of the article shows that this is more about a general disconnect with 'the classics' than it is about 'our' culture being lost. Unless of course we're now claiming Aristotle was British. And so what if someone confuses a 2000 year old dead Greek with a rapper? This is simply old-school snobbery of the type that thought a smattering of Latin and Greek was all the education a gentleman needed.
 
By Samanfur
Membership Days Posts
#443361
Andy McDandy wrote:Meanwhile a thorough read of the article shows that this is more about a general disconnect with 'the classics' than it is about 'our' culture being lost. Unless of course we're now claiming Aristotle was British. And so what if someone confuses a 2000 year old dead Greek with a rapper? This is simply old-school snobbery of the type that thought a smattering of Latin and Greek was all the education a gentleman needed.

I got that feeling right from the first line (but I was on my lunch break, so I didn't have time to say much). It doesn't take a lot of effort to guess who "We" are.

Classic dog whistle stuff, for the people who're scared that they might catch Forrin if they're within earshot of a non-English language on the Tube.

And if they aren't scared before, the Express'll make sure that they are afterwards.
 
By cycloon
Membership Days Posts
#443366
Andy McDandy wrote:
youngian wrote:I wonder when he was last down the South Bank?

FreedomVideos
The truth is our culture is dying. Our politicians are racial replacing the English and as they do this our culture is dying also.

It is genocide culturally, socially, nationally, racially.

Multiculturalism is destroying the country its that simple


I think he means he saw some black people on Eastenders. And walking about and everything and not having to register with the police.

Meanwhile a thorough read of the article shows that this is more about a general disconnect with 'the classics' than it is about 'our' culture being lost. Unless of course we're now claiming Aristotle was British. And so what if someone confuses a 2000 year old dead Greek with a rapper? This is simply old-school snobbery of the type that thought a smattering of Latin and Greek was all the education a gentleman needed.


I'd go further. It's that type of snobbery, but it's being appropriated not by the classes wot lord, but by the classes that wish they could lord, but are in fact about as ignorant as those they decry.

It's a classic staple of reactionary fuckwits everywhere: venerate a culture, have no fucking clue about said culture.
 
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
#443396
This thread reminds me of when I heard David Cameron describing Owen's Dulce et Decorum Est as his favourite poem. If only you knew what it means, I thought, before realising it was another Eton Rifles moment. Acknowledge the title, ignore the content.
 
By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
#443398
"... and of course, I loved the punk sound. I remember those patriotic boys in the Sex Pistols released a tribute to our wonderful monarch in the year of the Jubilee. Marvellous."
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#443400
The British upper classes are not well known for having cultural or intellectual aspirations beyond the bohemian fine art dilettante in the family.
#443410
In 2014 I wrote

... someone (I forget whom) quoted Swift's line that 'the slightest pretension to knowledge or piety would lead to instant cashierment' about the woefully under-educated officers who were the [aristocratic] product of the system of purchase.
 
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
#443413
Indeed. I've got knocking around somewhere an old Call of Cthulhu RPG supplement covering Victorian and early 20th century Britain, and there's a section explaining how the younger sons of aristocratic families might consider a career in the priesthood or politics. There's a great line - "While [the young aristocrat] may have looked an ass with his monocle and topper, he was an excellent rider, probably a crack shot, and knew all too well that he had been born to run things". It goes on to explain that 'run things' meant the school prefect method - make people's lives hell until things were working properly.
#443414
More than that. In 1914 it was decided that a public school education (sic) was the only qualification necessary for recruitment into the officer corps.
The Mail's Front Page Headline

Yes the Mail are hypocrites, yes there vile, yes t[…]

Momentum

I will now lay my cards on the table and tell you […]

Would appreciate any Twitterers getting this out, […]

Nigel Farage

It's a hard time of year for anyone to find a spar[…]