Discussion of the UK Government
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
PaulOnBooks wrote:Greening is dropping plans to allow councils to opt out of child protection laws ("the power to innovate" as a DfE spokeswoman calls Justine's proposed abusers' charter).

It would be grimly amusing to see how much of our money has been wasted on proposals that have been almost universally decried from the day Greening first put them forward.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -work-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At least that Milo Yiannopolis didn't fall on his sword in vain.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
PaulOnBooks wrote:Greening is dropping plans to allow councils to opt out of child protection laws ("the power to innovate" as a DfE spokeswoman calls Justine's proposed abusers' charter).

It would be grimly amusing to see how much of our money has been wasted on proposals that have been almost universally decried from the day Greening first put them forward.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -work-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If the laws are stifling good stuff unnecessarily, aren't they bad laws?

Farce.
By satnav
Membership Days Posts
Whilst I'm glad that the government is finally starting to scale back the amount of money being pumped into Free schools I would actually like to see the Education secretary come out and admit that the entire project was a big mistake.

Many schools in my area have already embarked and big budgets cuts in order to try balance their books and it is difficult to see how some of these cuts can be easily reversed. My son attends a large comprehensive school with a sixth form and in April the school allowed a number of senior staff to take early retirement. Several of these teachers had 'A' level and GCSE groups but they were allowed to leave just a few months before students were due to sit their final exams. Presumably next years timetable has now been completed and groups allocated so no new teachers are likely to be taken on in the near future even if the school does get an unexpected windfall from the DFE. The school also undertook a major re-organisation with all assistant head of year and head of department posts being scrapped in order to save money. Again it is very hard to see how these changes could be easily reversed because if the posts were re-established the school would have to introduce a selection system to allow all the staff the opportunity to apply for the positions.

If schools do get any extra cash in the next 12 months they will probably use much of the money to try and replenish contingency budgets which have been badly depleted in recent years as schols have dipped into reserves in order to try and avoid making big cuts to budgets.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

"Statistic show those with a higher education[…]

SPOTY

Yeah...the Mailites are really not happy! Supe[…]

Europe? And the Future of Britain in Europe

Do a lot of the daft gits who voted leave know tha[…]

Question Time

As if to prove your point... https://twitter.[…]