•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Greening was our school's MP, and she came in quite regularly. She's OK on a personal level at least, but of course she's gay and in a relationship, so not flavour of the month for the Turnip Taliban. She's also bright, but not Oxbridge, so can't get into the Rees-Mogg/Johnson/Gove cult. She's an 'expert'. She has worked well at Education (given that some of her policies are shit) by not alienating teachers.
She's also held some important offices, and doesn't seem to be backing Brexit in any form. If I was May I'd be looking askance at her on the back benches, where she might just cause trouble.
mattomac liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Exactly. I'd be spitting teeth and looking for ways to fuck up everything in sight. And she's got a marginal seat - strongly Remain.
In fact if I was her I'd mount a leadership challenge...

This is good:
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/s ... -sense-all

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Greening has gone because she says that social mobility is more important to her than her ministerial career. Surely that means that she feels that this would be at odds with the DWP brief and, by very strong implication, Universal Credit.

Damning stuff.
Abernathy, oboogie liked this

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
According to Nick Timothy, writing in tomorrow's Telegraph, Greening was sacked because of her opposition to reforms, including cuts to university fees.
Alongside the former universities minister Jo Johnson, Ms Greening refused to back a wide-ranging review which could have allowed institutions to charge different fees in a bid to increase competition.
Meanwhile, The Times informs us that

By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Messianic Trees wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:42 pm
According to Nick Timothy, writing in tomorrow's Telegraph, Greening was sacked because of her opposition to reforms, including cuts to university fees.
Alongside the former universities minister Jo Johnson, Ms Greening refused to back a wide-ranging review which could have allowed institutions to charge different fees in a bid to increase competition.
Meanwhile, The Times informs us that

Can't argue with her quitting if that was the reform she wishes to push through, wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't get a loan to pay for it all as well, so effectively cutting those top Universities off even further.

By Arnold
Membership Days Posts
The company that runs Britain is near to collapse. Watch and worry
Aditya Chakrabortty

Carillion builds schools, roads, hospitals – and it’s meant to be a big part of HS2. What’s more, if it goes bust, the bill will be picked up by taxpayers
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ayers-bill
youngian liked this

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I find tonight's new Opinium poll genuinely astonishing:

Con 40 (+1)
Lab 40 (-1)
LD 6 (-1)

I know some will grumble at the Labour figure, but the real headline here is the continuing durability of the Tory support. So with the NHS crisis in full swing, Brexit falling apart at the seams, and with a rather shambolic government reshuffle still fresh in memory, forty per cent of the public are still nodding their heads approvingly.
Labour, Generally.

For 'ordinary' read 'right kind of'. If Cor[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

I've known many a fine female knobjockey in my tim[…]

Richard Dawkins

Brilliant. Coruscating wit. Cartoon parody proves […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

An incompetent Orban is not an international reput[…]