•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The problem is that if a reasonable person and an edgelord (because that's what it is) have a debate, the edgelord will quickly paint the reasonable person as a weakling, unsure of themself, a flip flopper and so on.

Add in a media that thrives on spectacle. That's why Farage gets on Question Time so much - in the hope that he'll be controversial. As John Sopel said, that was one of the things that fuelled the rise of Trump. Given a choice between showing 5 minutes of dull and worthy, or 5 minutes of WTF, the news editor knows what will pull in the ratings.

Edgelord - One who takes up a deliberately extreme position in the hope of condemning anyone not measuring up to them as weak or backsliding. Common on all parts of the political spectrum, from neo Nazi incels damning people as cucks to the twat at the local Labour party meeting shouting you down because doing something about the potholes is nothing compared to what's going on in El Salvador, man.
lambswool, Boiler, Samanfur and 2 others liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:45 pm
The problem is that if a reasonable person and an edgelord (because that's what it is) have a debate, the edgelord will quickly paint the reasonable person as a weakling, unsure of themself, a flip flopper and so on.

Add in a media that thrives on spectacle. That's why Farage gets on Question Time so much - in the hope that he'll be controversial. As John Sopel said, that was one of the things that fuelled the rise of Trump. Given a choice between showing 5 minutes of dull and worthy, or 5 minutes of WTF, the news editor knows what will pull in the ratings.

Edgelord - One who takes up a deliberately extreme position in the hope of condemning anyone not measuring up to them as weak or backsliding. Common on all parts of the political spectrum, from neo Nazi incels damning people as cucks to the twat at the local Labour party meeting shouting you down because doing something about the potholes is nothing compared to what's going on in El Salvador, man.
I think you've nailed why I've not entirely rejected violence in the political arena.
Your average edgelord (typically a pencil necked keyboard warrior) is going to have a harder time calling anybody weak when they're the one getting revived with smelling salts.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Boris Johnson: Britain's first post-truth foreign secretary
She [Dawn Sturgess] was a British citizen, killed on British soil by a hostile foreign power. It was one of the most grave foreign policy incidents of recent years.
Quick - try to think of something Johnson accomplished at the Foreign Office. There is nothing

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/07 ... gn-secreta

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Boris Johnson's resignation delays decision on diplomatic immunity for British mother jailed in Iran, her husband warns
She should be freed but that can't be right. Why should Iran accept it when they don't accept dual nationality?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... liffe.html

By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
Andy, have you ever read Satre on anti-semitism? I've been thinking a lot about it, and public discourse, lately.

Since they are afraid of reasoning, they wish to lead the kind of life wherein reasoning and research play only a subordinate role, wherein one seeks only what he has already found, wherein one becomes only what he already was. This is nothing but passion. Only a strong emotional bias can give a lightning-like certainty; it alone can hold reason in leash; it alone can remain impervious to experience and last a whole lifetime.

The anti-Semite has chosen hate because hate is a faith; at the outset he has chosen to devaluate words and reasons. How entirely at ease he feels as a result. How futile and frivolous discussions about the rights of the Jew appear to him. He has pleased himself on other ground from the beginning. If out of courtesy he consents for a moment to defend his point of view, he lends himself but does not give himself. He tries simply to project his intuitive certainty onto the plane of discourse. I mentioned awhile back some remarks by anti-Semites, all of them absurd: "I hate Jews because they make servants insubordinate, because a Jewish furrier robbed me, etc." Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who
is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past. It is not that they are afraid of being convinced. They fear only to appear ridiculous or to prejudice by their embarrassment their hope of winning over some third person to their side.

If then, as we have been able to observe, the anti-Semite is impervious to reason and to experience, it is not because his conviction is strong. Rather his conviction is strong because he has chosen first of all to be impervious.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
I read Nausea in English, and didn't get it.
So I read it in French, in cafés, smoking Gauloises. Same.
So I read it in English again.

Then I looked it up on Wikipedia.

(Same with Critique of Pure Reason, except for the French fags).

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Son Of Hand wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:29 pm
I read Hume, Voltaire and Rousseau.

Candide should be in the curriculum.
Voltaire left me rather cold and I suspect that our teacher threw him in just because he had to. Camus, on the other hand...

I still have a first German edition of La Chute with, with delicious sarcasm, a four-leafed clover which was, I think, a twenty-second birthday prezzie.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Son Of Hand wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:29 pm
I read Hume, Voltaire and Rousseau.

Candide should be in the curriculum.
It (or key ideas) was in mine, along with Philosophy for Children and the story of Harry Stottlemeir. But the National Curriculum and Ofsted stopped all that thinking nonsense.

Two years as Brexit Secretary and your only idea […]

Mafeking Relieved!

Consume too much of anything and it'll be bad for […]

Re Greig

If these people ever met an actual radical leftie […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

All the data I've seen is switchers are heaviest[…]