•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By davidjay
Membership Days Posts
The only thing I'm sure about on this is that Johnson shouldn't be 'forced' to apologise. You can just imagine the mealy-mouthed words he'd come up with; "on reflection...wrong choice of words...apologise for any offence caused...utterly condemn Islamophobia..." And we'd all move on, and Boris would carry on being Boris. Instead, leave his actions as they are and let him stand by them.

The thing I'm unsure about is why he said what he did. He's a writer of many years experience. He knows the power of words and how to use them. He knew exactly what he was doing and what the reaction would be. Does he believe that the Tory party is irredeemably fucked and he wants to sail off with a coalition of Bannon's camp followers and the Faragist wing of UKIP? Or does he believe that there's enough Tories who applaud a mild dose of racism to make his position more popular?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I don't doubt the sincerity of Sayeeda Warsi or Dominic Grieve's vocal opposition but are Theresa May and Brandon Lewis suddenly making a statesmanlike stand against playing with the fires of nativist populism? I'm yet to be convinced.

Johnson as leader would be good for Labour as he's proved himself so far to be hopeless up against Corbyn.
By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:It's alright everyone, Rowan Atkinson has come out in support of Boris. *sigh*
Who left the gate open at the gammon farm?

Comedian Rowan Atkinson wades into Boris Johnson burka row as he urges the ex-Foreign Secretary NOT to say sorry because 'you should only ever apologise for a bad joke...this is a pretty good one'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ments.html

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
Irrespective of your stance on the brouhaha surrounding Boris Johnson at present, surely we can all agree that the only reason he wrote the damn thing in the first place was because he knew exactly what would happen when he did. And people have fallen for it on both sides of the debate. It's nothing more than a cunning plan to further his own prospects.

Which makes it somewhat notable that Rowan Atkinson has piped up in support this morning. Of all people, you'd think he'd recognise a cunning plan when he saw one.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:32 am
Found out something I didn't know today - Atkinson's older brother was almost elected leader of UKIP once.

Rodney Atkinson, he's a full-on Colonel Blimp whose been at it since James Goldsmith's Referendum Party days. Completely bonkers instead of slightly nuts he's Piers Corbyn to Rowan's Jeremy.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
cycloon wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:02 am
Am I missing something: was Johnson's 'joke' supposed to be funny?

Come on, we can do better than that...
I'm assuming it was the 'it's a joke' as excuse line. He didn't really say anything bigoted, it was just a joke you didn't get. And now we're all picking on poor Boris etc.

Given Bannon's influence I give it a few weeks before he's mocking disabled people.
Jeremy Corbyn.

A personality cult around someone with no personal[…]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

This is what pisses me off the most. Corbyn will s[…]

McDonald's ads are indees the pits. Often cloyin[…]

Tatchell has been very critical of Corbyn. Ah[…]