Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 48.9 % :thumbsup: 8.9 % :grinning: 28.9 % 🧥 2.2 % 🙏 4.4 % :cry: 4.4 % :shit: 2.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
NI minister Karen Bradley can be honest about her stupidity as her voters are more ignorant than she is

I freely admit that when I started this job, I didn’t understand some of the deep-seated and deep-rooted issues that there are in Northern Ireland.

“I didn’t understand things like when elections are fought for example in Northern Ireland, people who are nationalists don’t vote for unionist parties and vice-versa. So, the parties fight for the election within their own community.

Actually, the unionist parties fight the elections against each other in unionist communities and nationalists in nationalist communities. That’s a very different world from the world I came from.”

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/uk ... -headlines

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
How can anyone reach adulthood without even a sketchy knowledge of recent Irish history? Rhetorical question as 17.4m Leavers didn't.
(She now has her own topic. Technical problems stopped it appearing last night.)

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Until very recently, it was the case that if you were looking to renew a UK passport with less than 9 months on it before it expired, the additional time left on your current passport would be added to your new one, so say you were filling a renewal application today with your current passport due to run out on 2nd April 2019, then your new passport would have an expiry date of 2nd April 2029, even if when you received your new passport that date happens to be more than 10 years away.

That is apparently until the start of this week. Now it seems that anyone renewing their UK passport before their current one expires will not have the remaining time of their current passport added on to their new one - so if the same passport holder as above sends in a renewal today, quickly approved and has their new passport printed out on 1st October 2018, the expiry date of the new passport will be 1st October 2028 and not 2nd April 2029.

That might seem as not much to be worried about but considering quite a few countries insist that you have at least six months validity on your passport when you enter their territory, the effective length of a UK passport's validity has just been trimmed off. There was no prior announcement from the Home Office about this policy change and when contacted by MSE, they initially denied it before admitting it, claiming that the reason is Brexit - BULLSHIT!

I doubt that free & fearsome press that had nostalgic orgasms about the passport colour changing to blue will look at this sneaky change at any depth.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... han-expec/

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Tory Brexit faction censured for using public funds for campaigning

Watchdog asked ERG to stop party political activity while receiving MP expenses money
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ampaigning

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I think that we may've found the Tories' answer to Angela Eagle:
George Freeman says he will stand for Tory leader next year if asked

MP George Freeman has said he will put his name forward to be the next Tory leader if "asked to" amid continuing speculation over Theresa May's future.

It comes after the ex-minister, who once chaired Mrs May's policy board, said there should be leadership contest next summer after Brexit was settled.

He said he was "no Michael Heseltine" and would "stand back" if top figures from the "next generation" emerged.

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It looks as though the Tories'll condone at least as much frantic dog-whistling in the next London mayoral campaign as the last one:
Conservative London Mayor candidate embroiled in new Sadiq Khan Islamophobia row

The Conservative candidate for London Mayor is at the centre of an Islamophobia row, after he shared a tweet that meant thousands of his followers saw a message referring to Labour’s Sadiq Khan as “mad mullah Khan of Londonistan”.

Shaun Bailey retweeted a post last year which had shared a picture of Mr Khan and a racist caption which also branded Labour as “anti-British”.
Mafeking Relieved!

Consume too much of anything and it'll be bad for […]

Q: On Sunday you will sign us into a deal that wi[…]

Re Greig

If these people ever met an actual radical leftie […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

All the data I've seen is switchers are heaviest[…]