•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Timbo
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I've always wondered what effect the Brighton bombing and the terrible injuries sustained by his wife had on him. I could understand something like that consuming a person and making them hateful, but as @davidjay said, he's always been that way, and appears to have been consistent before and after the attack. It must be exhausting being that angry and hateful all the time.

By davidjay
Timbo wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:29 pm
I've always wondered what effect the Brighton bombing and the terrible injuries sustained by his wife had on him. I could understand something like that consuming a person and making them hateful, but as @davidjay said, he's always been that way, and appears to have been consistent before and after the attack. It must be exhausting being that angry and hateful all the time.
I did read that one thing he found difficult on his return to Parliament after the bomb was the good wishes he received from opposition MPs. He couldn't handle people he thought of as the enemy wanting to be friendly, which says a lot about his mindset.
Timbo, Oblomov liked this

By davidjay
Abernathy wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:17 pm
Killer Whale wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:45 pm
How come there's no such thing as a Gomorrahite? Discrimination, that is.
It's the BUMSEX, innit?
The angels that the Lord sent to find anyone worth saving went to Sodom, where they were mightily smited. Not Gomorrah.

By bluebellnutter
davidjay wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:28 pm
I did read that one thing he found difficult on his return to Parliament after the bomb was the good wishes he received from opposition MPs. He couldn't handle people he thought of as the enemy wanting to be friendly, which says a lot about his mindset.
It's also worth noting that this is the same way of thinking as many on the Corbynite left have used with regards to the Tories in the last few years. Which is why so many have struggled with Tobias Ellwood's actions with regards to PC Keith Palmer, they genuinely don't seem to be able to believe that a Tory MP could also display the sort of human compassion involved to do what he did. I put it down to some sort of infantilised thinking that everyone you disagree with is "an enemy" with no redeeming features whatsoever.
Timbo, Oblomov liked this

By Timbo
bluebellnutter wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:05 am
It's also worth noting that this is the same way of thinking as many on the Corbynite left have used with regards to the Tories in the last few years. Which is why so many have struggled with Tobias Ellwood's actions with regards to PC Keith Palmer, they genuinely don't seem to be able to believe that a Tory MP could also display the sort of human compassion involved to do what he did. I put it down to some sort of infantilised thinking that everyone you disagree with is "an enemy" with no redeeming features whatsoever.
My husband does this, and it drives me absolutely potty. It's a big thing on both sides of the leave/remain issue too. I wouldn't really give a shit about both sides going at each other, but lately it seems to be 'you are either with us or against us'. Surely you don't have to have views dead on the centre ground of everything to see that we all have to share this country, so to get things done compromise is necessary all round?

If you dare to suggest going for what is achievable, rather than dying on the hill of your principles, then you are a full-on Tory who hunts the disabled with an elephant gun in your spare time. Then they completely glaze over when you point out Corbyn's previous form on the EU, NATO and the Falklands.

By KevS
I think I've said this before, but it amazes me when BBC Parliament show the old elections, that if its one 1983 or earlier, how much civilised it all seems. People have reasoned debates, and by and large aren't yelling over each other. (Although George Brown vs. Robin Day in 1964 is always an eye opener)

There's genuine respect for your opponent. To see this, you only have to see the reaction when Shirley Williams loses in 1979, there seems to be heartfelt good wishes and hopes she will find another seat from all sides.

I always give 1983 as the cut off point, as it strikes me that with her huge majority after that, Thatch and Co thought they could do what the hell they liked....
Timbo liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
To some people, of course, they still are, a case in point being Jess Phillips and Nicholas Soames. But the new intake of Tories are a nastier bunch, brought up on Thatcherism, and there being no such thing as society. If everything is a competition to gain resources, and rob your 'enemy', then there can be no mutual respect.

Jenrick is a perfect example.
Boiler, mattomac liked this

By Abernathy
I think it is still possible to agree with Bevan's view of the Tories generally, yet still take a mature attitude to flawed individual Tories.

See also the late Iain Banks' sweetcorn analogy.
Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/131831500[…]

US election 2020

The Governor of Iowa isn't up for re-election this[…]

Daily Telegraph

Julie should be clearing up on the populist rentag[…]

The Trump Presidency

Ouch. END OUR NATIONAL CRISIS The Case Again[…]