Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 47.8 % ❤ 2.2 % :thumbsup: 2.2 % 😯 2.2 % :grinning: 39.1 % 🙏 2.2 % :cry: 4.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Fozzy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
• Headteachers will be given the power to discipline pupils if they misbehave outside school premises. The government will introduce these changes through legislation and guidance, Gove said, telling delegates: "We have to stop treating adults like children and children like adults. Under this government, we will ensure that the balance of power in the classroom changes and teachers are back in charge."
This is simply dishonest (no surprises there). Headteachers already have this power.
By Fozzy
I've just caught up on iPlayer with a programme about Toby Young's efforts to start up a free school in Ealing. I came to the programme with a genuinely open mind, never having come across Young before, and within 3 minutes was finding him annoying as hell. As time went on he became increasingly stupid. What particularly stuck in my mind was his claim that learning Latin teaches you to think logically. Having been made to learn it myself, I can state with authority that that is total bollocks.

At the end of the programme, the only ray of hope lay in the fact that he hadn't found any premises for his Dotheboys Hall. I have the most depressing suspicion that he is top of the list for one of the supposedly redundant Department of Education buildings that Gove is planning to palm off on free schools, because Gove will be absolutely desperate to make sure that none of the idiots volunteering to start free schools fall by the wayside.

What I can't understand is, if the DfE has redundant premises, why hasn't it sold them off or rented them out? Surely these should be a prime candidate for costs savings?

By Tubby Isaacs
Cheers, Malcolm for that clarification. I recall my GCSE (1988) being chronological. The history before it wasn't really in any order. Has that changed now? I'm not convinced that it needs to be in chronological order at all. Some people like ancient history, some like medieval, some modern. You need to dip into different eras to see what you might like later.

I see Young's website has some newspaper articles on it. This is the sort of high quality stuff that you might be able to write if you attend his Free School:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... mailonline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For anyone who thinks Young is just a parent trying to set up a school, why is that article there? It's clearly the frontier in an ideological battle.

Fozzy, I think Latin made a contribution to my logical understanding of language. I wouldn't claim anything more for it though. As I say, its purpose may be to scare off blacks.

By Malcolm Armsteen
The key phrase in the NC is 'broadly chronological'.

Last time I taught it:
Year 7: Romans, Medieval England (Saxons, Normans, Black Death, Peasants' Revolt), Islamic Empires
Year 8: Britain 1500-1700 (Tudors and shit), 1700 - 1900 (Industrial Revolution), Option.
Year 9: Edwardians (inc suffragettes), WW1 (inc local), WW2 (inc Holocaust)

Then GCSE, which was 20th century beastliness.
By Mr Mordon
I remember watching Simon Scharma's History of Britain. The first two series were good (so much so that I bought the accompanying book for the second) but the third was a bit to political for my tastes. I thought Andrew Marr made a better fist of that period.

By Tubby Isaacs
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:The key phrase in the NC is 'broadly chronological'.

Last time I taught it:
Year 7: Romans, Medieval England (Saxons, Normans, Black Death, Peasants' Revolt), Islamic Empires
Year 8: Britain 1500-1700 (Tudors and shit), 1700 - 1900 (Industrial Revolution), Option.
Year 9: Edwardians (inc suffragettes), WW1 (inc local), WW2 (inc Holocaust)

Then GCSE, which was 20th century beastliness.
Ah, we jumped around a fair bit. Gove is indeed talking total shit.

By Malcolm Armsteen
I enjoyed the Normans. Have you seen Michael Wood's latest on BBC4 - tracing the history of a village (Kibworth I think) from pre-Domesday to the present through its documents and records? Fascinating stuff.

'Michael Wood's Story of England' - tonight at 9pm, BBC4. Ep 3: The Great Famine and the Black Death. Looks ace.

By Tubby Isaacs
What a surprise, lots of the pupil premium comes from other education money:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11615216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You mean it isn't just Gordon Brown who "stealthily" "gives with one hand, takes away with another"? I'm sure the Mail will summon its usual venom.

£500,000 of these cuts could have been saved if Gove hadn't donated £500k to the Free Schools Network.

Why though do Labour insist on attacking the Lib Dems more than the Tories? The Lib Dems have indeed got a more progressive use of education funds. They and the Tories have both cut it.
The Tories, Generally

In her late-thirties Jenkyns started to study a d[…]

Momentum

Apart from calling for Article 50 to be invoked th[…]

Boris Johnson

Nor the one about the time he met the producer's w[…]

Labour, Generally.

The state of some of the replies to that... :(