Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 47.8 % ❤ 2.2 % :thumbsup: 2.2 % 😯 2.2 % :grinning: 39.1 % 🙏 2.2 % :cry: 4.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Perhaps the famous 35 companies can offer them work when they are inevitably unelected, and then they'll find some reason (Labour left a piece of paper saying they hadn't paid for the milk, perhaps?) for going back on all their promises. Because as we all know an unequivocal promise only counts for as long as you haven't got an unconvincing excuse for breaking it.

By Malcolm Armsteen
10% and falling...

They have a choice, don't they? Keep with the coalition in the hope that it all turns out right in the end and a grateful nation re-elects them to the backbenches when the Tories have a majority (though to be fair they have shown that they have all the necessary attributes of a backbencher), or break now, oppose and try to get some credit.

The social Liberals might go for the latter, but the Orange Bookers probably won't, so the part would split, which the electorate hates - there is already a problem of trying to state 'Liberal values'. The Orangemen would defect to the Tories and the Socials would be out in the cold - they could hardly join the Labour party they have been so scathing about. There's no SDP this time around. They'd be bolloxed. Out of work...

So they'll go for Plan A, face it out and hope it works. But they'll get no support from Gove and Osborne.

By Tubby Isaacs
I was in Tenby Library yesterday and this page was blocked. Not sure which word it didn't like but think it was "Gove".

Open government thriving

http://www.taxpayersalliance.org/news/n ... iness-plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's one thing that we can't make Freedom of Information requests directly to these private recipients of taxpayers' money – making them much less accountable than quangos. But it's quite another that the government invokes commercial confidentiality clauses to suppress its own dealings with such organisations.

By Tubby Isaacs
He's back, and what could go wrong?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010 ... ent-scheme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The cash will come from an endowment fund started with £110m of public money, saved by a coalition decision to scrap an extension of free school meals to all primary schoolchildren living below the poverty line. The government plans to outsource the project to a City fund manager, who will assess the bids in consultation with education experts. The education secretary, Michael Gove, said he expected the fund to pay out up to £10m a year.
What does this expert know about education? Or is his role just to gamble with public funds. If this sort of financial alchemy is such a cert, why not get the free schools paid out of it?
The Education Endowment Fund will run for a decade, dispensing money from its income as well as a portion of the capital each year. The government hopes it will also encourage donations from philanthropists. Establishing it for a decade will put it outside the "twists and turns" of Treasury negotiation, Gove said.
Yeah, City speculation is the only way to stop the Treasury taking it away. Anyway, why shouldn't another government take it away? Just like you did with the building schools money.

By Bones McCoy
Did I read that right.

A scheme to extend free school meals has been cut and the money passed "for safe keeping" to a fund manager?
And what's the residue to be used for after "Ferraris all round" and bet the rest of next year's answer to sub-prime?
By Fozzy
I struggle with the figures here. They're being handed £110 million cash to start off with, and that will in itself generate interest; and they claim to expect to attract substantially more funding; but they only expect to pay out "up to" £10m a year. That's an awful lot of money lying around doing not very much - apart from paying for the fund manager, his staff, and no doubt his up-market office premises, furniture and equipment.

By Bones McCoy
Fozzy wrote:I struggle with the figures here. They're being handed £110 million cash to start off with, and that will in itself generate interest; and they claim to expect to attract substantially more funding; but they only expect to pay out "up to" £10m a year. That's an awful lot of money lying around doing not very much - apart from paying for the fund manager, his staff, and no doubt his up-market office premises, furniture and equipment.
That was my earlier point: see "Ferraris all round".

The dominating theme of the early ConDem months seems to be to replace the national debt with a lot of personal debt.
Usual suspects getting a hefty commission or at least an exemption.
By Adam
This is why the Tory government are such infuriating cunts. If he'd just cut the free school meals programme, that'd be one thing. Not advisable, I'd have grumbled, but at the least consistent with the stated aim of reducing the deficit and government spending. Instead, they've transferred the money from an existing programme with clear, obvious advantages and outcomes and an infrasturcture that already exists, to an unproven scheme involving the notoriously reliable finance sector, and which seems on the surface to have very little accountability. Add to that the fact that there's no guarantee a fund manager, even if he's the most skilled and capable one out there, will know what works in education. And the fact that the money's likely to go to headline-grabbing initiatives from schools that are already good rather than low-key programems that produces slight increases in performance without much fanfare.

Really, I'd wish ebola on the lot of them if I didn't think it would be unfair on the virus.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnneMar86271063/status/[…]

Boris Johnson

I was more thinking Ronnie Corbett in his chair.[…]

The Tories, Generally

There seems to be a lot of that on Twitter too, bu[…]

US election 2020

Obviously, it's pretty awful that the Republicans […]