•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
karlt wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:59 am

Forgive ignorance, but isn't the former just a labelling issue - there's nothing surely inherent in a sales tax that requires items to be priced without tax?
You could try explaining that to a retailer who wants the lowest ticket price possible at the point of sale...
oboogie liked this

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
karlt wrote:
Forgive ignorance, but isn't the former just a labelling issue - there's nothing surely inherent in a sales tax that requires items to be priced without tax?
It's a long tìme since I've been to America, but I remember that as the universal practice. I've never looked into it, but assumed it was a legal requirement.

By Boiler
karlt wrote:
Boiler wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:47 am
To answer my own question, from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48571291:
"It would mean reducing the regulations which hold business back, cutting and reforming taxes - such as business rates - which put pressure on small businesses and undermine our high streets, using the opportunity of life outside the EU to look to replace VAT with a lower, simpler, sales tax," he added.
So we end up with the dumb model the Yanks use, where the price on the item is not the price you pay at the till because they add the bloody tax on at that point :evil:

And has Michael forgotten about Purchase Tax, where individual goods attracted different rates?
I believe the reason is that if you live outside a state, you can under some circumstances reclaim the tax. But to add to the confusion, it depends on whether or not the state is an 'origin-based' state or a 'destination-based' state.
By karlt
Membership Days
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:13 am
karlt wrote:

You could try explaining that to a retailer who wants the lowest ticket price possible at the point of sale...
Yebbut they'd be doing that with VAT if they were allowed, so it's then a matter of regulation rather than whether we call it sales tax or VAT.

By Malcolm Armsteen
And some do. Maplins did it for years. I think it was consumer pressure that stopped them, whether it would stop them when different rates are applied to different items I don't know.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Differing VAT/Sales tax rates within neighborouring trading states is a scammer's dream and moving to harmonisation solves most law enforcement and collection problems. Gove will tell you that would happen because rapacious Brussels bureaucrats just want more homogeounous powers over the nation state because... (add a tinfoil hat conspiracy about 'them').

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:09 pm
Differing VAT/Sales tax rates within neighborouring trading states is a scammer's dream and moving to harmonisation solves most law enforcement and collection problems. Gove will tell you that would happen because rapacious Brussels bureaucrats just want more homogeounous powers over the nation state because... (add a tinfoil hat conspiracy about 'them').
Shocked, shocked, to find that a brexiteer policy is a scammer's dream.
Captain Renault, while being handed his blank receipts.
By satnav
I'm a little surprised at the way in which The Mail on Sunday appears to have turned on Gove. I wonder if this is a sign that they see Gove as the only contender who can give Boris a run for his money. Whilst Gove probably wouldn't beat Boris in a run off he could cause him a lot of serious damage if the pair of them slugging it out around the country for a month.
C**t of the day

I'm willing to bet at least 98% of those tweeting […]

Local journalism at its best

I like the idea of raising alarm bells...

The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fe[…]

The latest Alexa ad has it helping a blind woman. […]