Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 46.4 % ❤ 1.8 % :thumbsup: 8.9 % 😯 3.6 % :grinning: 33.9 % 🙏 1.8 % :cry: 3.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
In a question about issues faced by the road haulage association today, Gove decided the best course of action was to mildly slag them off and then not answer the question.

In one sense this is good - if he really is being lined up to slither into No. 10 once Boris has taken the flack for no deal, his style is more or less identical only without a shred of the personal popularity Johnson used to enjoy both in and outside of the party. There'd be no honeymoon period because there'd be no change, and I could see him out of the door himself before the next GE.

By crabcakes_windermere
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:12 pm
Gove came 3rd last time. Would he get a free run? It's not like 2003, where the new leader is nowhere near power.

Gove's got an air of David Davis 2005 about him. Somebody else gets a bit of momentum and he's in trouble.
I’m guessing the plan is to hobble Sunak by tying any payments needed to help balance the books to him, and then the Tory press (or at least the Murdoch chunk of it, plus the Mail as I suspect they’d like Vine in No. 10) go hell for leather to get him in. Boris was their man before as he was most likely to get Brexit through. Now though he’s a busted flush, and has proven to be the Big Sam Allardyce of Tories - all the braying fans with no brain wanted him as boss, but as soon as he got there he turned out to be relentlessly shit and as vastly overrated as everyone with half a brain has ever said.

No guarantee it’ll work though, because Gove is so astonishingly unlikeable, even among a party full of loathsome arseholes - it’s like trying to persuade people to eat a dog turd sandwich or just a handful of birdshit. They’re both terrible, but one is substantially harder to swallow. Plus as you say, if anyone else gets even half a sniff of support he’ll be in second place faster than you can say “Pob”.
Tubby Isaacs, youngian liked this

By Bones McCoy
Andy McDandy wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:45 pm
Raab is too thick, and I suspect that Patel would be a step too far for many of the rank and file.
That won't stop either of them.
Neither will their burgeoning reserves of self-awareness.
Labour, Generally.

I see someone's let Len out again https://twitter[…]

US election 2020

'misallocated' is doing a lot of heavy lifting in […]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/131831500[…]

Daily Telegraph

Julie should be clearing up on the populist rentag[…]