Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 54.5 % ❤ 1.5 % :thumbsup: 7.6 % 😯 3 % :grinning: 28.8 % 🙏 1.5 % :cry: 3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Catkins
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I mean, from October 5th we've been unable to submit requests via the EU Sirene system (to exchange information requests and alerts with the EU about dangerous bastards crossing borders). It's really important but unless you have a job which touches the criminal justice system, you've probably not heard of it. Consequence of Brexit.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts LikeBB
Catkins wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:59 pm
I mean, from October 5th we've been unable to submit requests via the EU Sirene system (to exchange information requests and alerts with the EU about dangerous bastards crossing borders). It's really important but unless you have a job which touches the criminal justice system, you've probably not heard of it. Consequence of Brexit.
Are there any treaties to fall back on now the European Arrest Warrant is annulled? Torquay could become the new Costa Del Crime?

By Catkins
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I am no expert on this but the big loss right now seems to be intelligence sharing and cross-EU cooperation. We're easing out of various EU systems which make law enforcement and security service cooperation easier.

With regard to extradition requests and EAWs, there's a transition period with most countries which we'll fall out of in January. EU countries can still extradite/import people from outside the EU, it just takes longer and agreements (not necessarily Treaties) need to be in place. The EAW just makes things easier - it's assumed that it's a transfer between democratic countries with a well-functioning legal system. A defence lawyer can still quibble about Romanian prison conditions for example, but there's general reciprocity.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts LikeBB
It would be helpful to the PM if his senior ministers had his back in a national crisis. But Gove spots an opportunity to be Captain Foresight like Starmer
Boris Johnson and Michael Gove clash over length of second lockdown amid Tory backlash over chaotic U-turn

Downing Street has slapped down Michael Gove for suggesting the new four-week lockdown could be extended, exposing splits at the heart of government over Covid-19 policy.

As scientists warned that surging infections would put the 2 December expiry plan in jeopardy, Boris Johnson’s effective deputy called it a “review” date – saying: “We’ll always be driven by the data.”

But No 10 sought to stamp on the idea of even-longer restrictions, amid a Tory backlash over the chaotic U-turn. “This is very much seen as a 28-day set of measures, then we will go back to the regional approach,” a source told The Independent. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 09459.html

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
Gove reckons it'll be Govey Vs Starmer at PMQs by March 2021 at the latest.

Gove reckons it'll be a clash of the heavyweights, with him as Ali.

I predict it'll be clash of the heavyweights as coked-up Spinks melts on Holmes' percussive jab.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
I think Starmer could possibly be even more devastating to Gove in a weird sort of way, if it does come to that.

"Boris is Boris". He can waffle and perform to the clapping seals and that's all people expect from him. Gove, on the other hand, likes to think of himself as a bit of an intellectual and will try and outsmart Starmer and take himself more seriously which I think will end up even more damaging to him.
youngian, Oblomov liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
I think Gove will inevitably try for leader when Boris squirms away, but will fail yet again because he repeatedly underestimates his horrendous unpopularity. He's a known backstabber so will find it incredibly hard to find allies, it's a given that Cummings will come aboard with him and a lot of Tories are already sick of him, and he's basically Boris without the bumbling funny act - he will say and do anything to survive another day and throw anyone under a bus to ensure his own survival. In a general election he'd come over as exactly the charmless creep he is.

If he stands, I suspect it's Sunak's job to lose. Gove would be a last resort candidate to avoid someone even more loathsome and stupid getting the job (Patel). And the Tories putting Patel in as leader would be like Labour putting in Richard Burgon.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Gove is to the Tories what Corbyn was to Labour. An unelectable, toxic, weirdo. Personally I think Sunak would probably be their best option, as an added bonus, he would be a get out of jail card for racist twats "im not racist, an Asian is now my party leader"
"Boris" Johnson

I missed this earlier. https://twitter.com/ZoeJar[…]

Matthew Goodwin

https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/135198743633[…]

Priti Patel

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/135197873623[…]

The Biden Presidency.

When you March alongside Nazi flags to raid a gov[…]