Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 32.7 % ❤ 6.8 % :thumbsup: 11.6 % 😯 3.4 % :grinning: 37.4 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 0.7 % 😟 1.4 % :cry: 4.1 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:16 am
That has droplets of Martha Kearney's airily dismissive breath all over it. Am I right?
I dinnae, as I never heard it. I might go listen to Today in a mo.
MisterMuncher liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Does this indicate Johnstone is conducting polls on the public purse?
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:39 am
This is more what I'd expect, but very different to the public polling.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:36 pm
I'd not put too much past him, but I expect this is party money paying for this.
In which case it's perhaps bait to get the oppos keen on an early election.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm
Meanwhile, a pipsqueak speaks...

Not a huge fan of Varadkar by any stretch, but that was just *lovely*.
If I remember correctly Athena stepped in and calmed Heracles when he went loco and slaughtered his children.

Classics Dons at Balliol College will be nodding sagely and muttering "Ohh, that's a burn."

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:52 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:36 pm
I'd not put too much past him, but I expect this is party money paying for this.
In which case it's perhaps bait to get the oppos keen on an early election.
YouGov have already distanced themselves from the numbers. Although that might just simply be a reference to the apparent sample size (a whopping 50,000 IIRC).

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
Looks like it was fun and games during the prorogation ceremony.

Signs saying "Silenced" being held up, Bercow making no bones about it that he doesn't approve ("I couldn't give a flying flamingo what your view is"), choruses of Bread of Heaven and Flower of Scotland, chanting of "Shame on you" and an attempt to stop Bercow heading to the Lords.

There's going to be a punch up before all this is over, isn't there?

By Snowflake
I was thinking along these lines this morning. Now the no deal legislation is safely through is prorogation as a cooling off period actually a bad thing? The same applies to a general election. The current atmosphere is febrile with Johnson determined to make it Parliament v the people, and the right were building up a head of steam with their peoplesprime minister bollox. In the current atmosphere pretty much anything could have happened. Jez still playing this absolutely correctly imo.
Arrowhead, davidjay liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
I think prorogation now plays into the hands of everyone who is anti-brexit. Boris has 3 weeks of bluster about not asking for an extension...before he has to ask for an extension or go to prison. Farage has to stand candidates against the Tories now in any post-Oct 31st GE or he'll be seen as going back on his word as well, which will be terminal for his bunch of racist hams.

Cummings clearly assumed that he could break the law just as easily as he did with weakly-enforced electoral law and has been proven totally wrong - he saw himself as Peter Capaldi in The Thick of It, but is much more David Brent. Plus they're now on the hook to release a lot of potentially very damaging material on what was decided when - and if (as is almost certainly the case) it can be shown Boris lied to the Queen, that will be another whole load of Tories who will no longer support him.

Ironically, Leave's earlier successes have brought about their downfall - if they'd done less well and got away with less initially, they'd probably not have had the arrogance to try the insane shit that galvanised and united the opposition.

And you'd hope Corbyn et al are actually noting the upswing in their fortunes and the successes they have when working together.

EDIT: 5 weeks, because I can't calendar good.
Last edited by crabcakes_windermere on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snowflake, oboogie, Kreuzberger and 2 others liked this
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
"It's like a fairground ride that goes faster and faster, until it breaks. But that's not so bad because now you're really flying. But eventually you'll crash down, because nothing beats gravity."

Tony Wilson, of Factory Records fame.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:36 am
I think prorogation now plays into the hands of everyone who is anti-brexit. Boris has 3 weeks of bluster about not asking for an extension...before he has to ask for an extension or go to prison. Farage has to stand candidates against the Tories now in any post-Oct 31st GE or he'll be seen as going back on his word as well, which will be terminal for his bunch of racist hams.

Cummings clearly assumed that he could break the law just as easily as he did with weakly-enforced electoral law and has been proven totally wrong - he saw himself as Peter Capaldi in The Thick of It, but is much more David Brent. Plus they're now on the hook to release a lot of potentially very damaging material on what was decided when - and if (as is almost certainly the case) it can be shown Boris lied to the Queen, that will be another whole load of Tories who will no longer support him.

Ironically, Leave's earlier successes have brought about their downfall - if they'd done less well and got away with less initially, they'd probably not have had the arrogance to try the insane shit that galvanised and united the opposition.

And you'd hope Corbyn et al are actually noting the upswing in their fortunes and the successes they have when working together.

Brilliant Crabby. May I share that elsewhere please?

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
oboogie wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:01 pm
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:36 am

Brilliant Crabby. May I share that elsewhere please?
yeah, sure!
oboogie liked this
Question Time

Gammon Logic. What the fucking hell has happene[…]

Labour, Generally.

I suppose there is always Lord Buckethead. Al[…]

Mark Francois MP

I assume they don't call him 'Penfold' for nothing[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

And this gives me a little faith that all is not l[…]