Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 48 % ❤ 3.2 % :thumbsup: 9.4 % 😯 3.4 % :grinning: 26.2 % 🧥 0.7 % 🙏 1 % 😟 4.7 % :cry: 2.9 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:13 pm
When's Johnson going to "cut business rates to help the high street", as he's promised?

Good argument here that this is only a very short term boost. Rents will rise because to make up for the cut in rates.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/13132
Cutting business rates will help individual high street stores in the short run, but will not help in the longer run. It is a misunderstanding of basic economics to think otherwise. The biggest winners from a cut in business rates will be the biggest landowners — the Duke of Westminster, the Queen — and not the high street shops, or their customers.

Doubtless Common Man Boris will do it anyway.
Never having been involved with retail premise I may have the wrong end of the stick, but; I was under the impression that business rates were nominally a source of income for local authorities, l believe it all goes into a central pot but the idea I assume is, in general terms, to help local authorities. I also assume with it being a central pot some local authorities may get better looked after than others. So overall I'm guessing a cut in business rates is not all it hopes to achieve. Where's with rents, they go to the owner landlord, and I think it's safe to assume that a lot of high street property is in the portfolio of some company registered in the Cayman Island, who most probably don't give a flying fuck about the average high street

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I think the point being made is that what matters is the total cost of doing business, that is rent plus business rates. These combined are what the market will bear. If the government forces a cut in rates, that makes the cost of doing business lower than what the market will bear. The landlord, especially one switched on to commerce, as a big company with questionable tax arrangements will be, notices this. They therefore raise the rent and are better off, and the taxpayer worse off by receiving less tax.

I've heard the same thing said about stamp duty. Why are we taxing all these struggling first time buyers? Let's take all that tax off, that'll make houses cheaper. Except that the vendor (or more precisely their estate agent) spots that they can raise the price of the house to compensate for less stamp duty being payable.

This is a bit broadbrush- working out the incidence of taxes (ie on whom they ultimately fall) is a big subject in itself. But I think it's fairly clear it's not the easy fix that Johnson probably thinks it is.
By satnav
It was interesting seeing pictures of today's meeting of world leaders in Berlin to discuss the future of Libya. When they took a group picture of all the leaders Boris positioned himself on the fringes of the group. Will this be Britain's official position at the end of the month a minor player on the fringes of international politics?

By Boiler
satnav wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:28 pm
It was interesting seeing pictures of today's meeting of world leaders in Berlin to discuss the future of Libya. When they took a group picture of all the leaders Boris positioned himself on the fringes of the group. Will this be Britain's official position at the end of the month a minor player on the fringes of international politics?
It's the polar opposite of what Trump would do...

By The Red Arrow
Still reckon it can't happen here, kids?

Propaganda – Gov’t creates film factory to rewrite Brexit history
20th January 2020 / United Kingdom
https://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingd ... t-history/

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
we’re now actively recruiting the best film professionals available
Will it be that MEP prick Martin Daubney who made anti climate change films? Maybe Ken Loach will want to mark our exit from the CIA controlled capitalist Common Market.

Will they make an impact? Momentum make the best political videos have they contributed to Labour’s dominance of the under 40s vote?

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
The Red Arrow wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:03 am
Still reckon it can't happen here, kids?

Propaganda – Gov’t creates film factory to rewrite Brexit history
20th January 2020 / United Kingdom
https://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingd ... t-history/

If there's a real Mark Dukes out there, he must be royally getting the piss ripped out of him today

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Not sure what the legal problem is with Johnson changing policy on badger culling. He’s ignoring scientific advice and we expect no better from Johnson but how’s that flouting the rule of law.?
The influence exerted on the prime minister by his partner, Carrie Symonds, will be explored in court after permission was granted last week for a judicial review into how the government came to pull a cull on badgers in Derbyshire.

The case could embarrass Boris Johnson and raise questions about the government’s willingness to listen to its advisers when formulating policy.

Last autumn the environment secretary, Theresa Villiers, ordered Natural England to scrap a cull in Derbyshire, where badgers are being vaccinated against TB, a decision warmly endorsed by Symonds and Goldsmith. The decision came three weeks after Symonds was briefed by Dominic Dyer, head of the Badger Trust, which opposes the cull.

The farmers union, the NFU, believes this meeting played a key role in the government ignoring scientific advice in favour of retaining the cull and sought a judicial review to determine how the decision was reached.

Last week the High Court confirmed the judicial review could proceed, meaning the NFU’s lawyers will be able to examine in court the basis on which the government pulled the cull. https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... adger-cull
Labour, Generally.

https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1292419[…]

Sundry far-right groups and parties.

Potential piracy ahoy. That's grounds for the Roya[…]

And the press will not just have a field day w[…]

Roll Call

Happy sunday, hound-lovers. https://i.postimg.c[…]