Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 39.8 % ❤ 4.1 % :thumbsup: 8.6 % 😯 4.1 % :grinning: 32.3 % 🧥 0.7 % 🙏 0.7 % 😟 5.2 % :cry: 3.7 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
davidjay wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:07 am
As I've just read, we lead the world when it comes to shutting empty stable doors.
Radio 4 this morning: if they weren't providing an advertising platform for pub landlords, it was wall-to-wall "best in the world" baloney.

That's the English and their world-class exceptionalism.
youngian, Oblomov liked this

By Boiler
Corbyn's silence has been deafening and yes, Johnson has a huge fan base. Sadly, I don't think Keir Starmer will make a dent in this in 2024 and Labour will be looking for a new leader in due course. Right now any dissent will be shouted down as "unhelpful".

By Kreuzberger
youngian wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:56 pm
Sweet mother Mary, Joseph tell me this Johnson poll rating just means ‘I’m glad Corbyn’s not at the wheel.’
Wait till the red crosses start appearing on doors the length and breadth of the country. A week's a long time in epidemiology.
youngian, Oblomov, Timbo liked this

By Oblomov
Boiler wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:06 pm
Corbyn's silence has been deafening and yes, Johnson has a huge fan base. Sadly, I don't think Keir Starmer will make a dent in this in 2024 and Labour will be looking for a new leader in due course. Right now any dissent will be shouted down as "unhelpful".
Magic Grandad has rightly been raising in PMQs the subject of tenant security in a nosediving economy but that aside, I've not seen a single beard hair of his in the papers.

By KevS
The way I look it is we're in the shit, and Johnson is in charge, so I've got rely on him to do the right thing.

Am I happy about it? No. No I'm not.

As for the bearded idiot the only thing I've heard about him this week apart from PMQs is apparently taking the same attitude to isolation as Stanley Johnson. The sooner we are shot, the better.

By crabcakes_windermere
That poll will look very different in a few weeks now Johnson has shut the pubs and the death toll will start rising as it hits the acceleration phase. Plus he has Rishi Sunak coming from nowhere and absolutely destroying him in the “who looks like a statesman” stakes.

Boris may currently have the poll numbers, but he’s clearly having an utterly horrible time. When he has disgruntled knuckle draggers who can’t have their weekly 6 pints on a Friday *and* their beloved Nan dies *and* he extends the transition period (because he will) *and* he has a former DPP grilling him every week at PMQs, he’ll be having an utterly horrible time without those poll numbers. Assuming he doesn’t quit and run away.

He wanted to be Churchill. He got his crisis. Then he turned out to not even be a tenth of the man Chamberlain was. Nobody wants comedy bants and japes when there’s no jobs, no money and a rampant disease.
lord_kobel, oboogie, Timbo and 1 others liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
At some point soon - and it’s coming - Johnson and Cummings will have an immense falling out. Boris will be furious he is not seen as the great statesman/best chum hybrid he thinks he should be. Cummings will be furious his 4D chess schemes are being implemented badly (as he sees it) and keep backfiring. They will both blame the other.
Timbo, Oblomov liked this
By satnav
I seem to remember that Brown and Darling initially received a lot of praise for their handling of the financial crash in 2008 but by 2010 when austerity was needed to start balancing the books the voters began flocking to Cameron and the Tories.
Timbo, Oblomov liked this

By Kreuzberger
The Red Arrow wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:41 pm
When Johnson says we'll turn the tide in 12 weeks, it's just another line for the side of a bus
Marina Hyde
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ter-brexit
She is pretty much matchless, isn't she?

Insight upon insight to slay her prey, and then a kick in the bollocks for sheer sport.
Sedulously. The signal for 10 million hardworking families to draw down the leather-bound thesaurus from their shelves and browse synonyms for the word “twat”.
Boiler, oboogie, Samanfur and 2 others liked this

By davidjay
I wish I could be more optimistic, but I fear that today was the day the Tories embedded themselves so deeply into the psyche of the nation that the two became interwoven.

We have a Prime Minister who has veered between incompetence and stupidity, who has gone from Herd Immunity to Social Exclusion, from stay open but don't go inside to close by decree, turned a massive problem into a catastrophe, finally doing things he should have done at least a week and preferably a fortnight ago, and being hailed as a statesman.

Meanwhile the Chancellor has been pressurised into eventually doing the bare minimum and as a result is now PM in waiting.

Disagree with either and you're a traitor. Truly, we get the government we deserve.
Boiler, Watchman, Kreuzberger and 2 others liked this
Dominic Raab

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/04/07/12/141671[…]

Roll Call

Didn't get chance last night. Just about to follow[…]

The Sun

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EU_AHDUXgAAQ112?forma[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

I"m sure there will be those who will now say[…]