Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 39.6 % ❤ 4.1 % :thumbsup: 8.5 % 😯 4.1 % :grinning: 32.2 % 🧥 0.7 % 🙏 0.7 % 😟 5.6 % :cry: 3.7 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I have a theory about the current scenario forming which is a bit tinfoil hat, but I can't shake the sense it may be true.

1. offer weak advice now, stringing out not locking down as long as you can because you're everyone's mate
2. finally, reluctantly do so just as the weather starts to get properly warmer (but not too warm)
3. keep the lockdown period to a minimum, releasing everyone "into the sunshine"
4. meanwhile, have a huge, huge spike in deaths because the NHS is overwhelmed. but...
5. rapidly enter into the natural falloff you get in viral transfer in summer anyway, coupled with more of Cumming's beloved herd immunity AND the fact the most vulnerable will already be dead AND people will be distracted because yay, holiday and freedom!
6. ...in doing so, make the winter 2020/21 spike much smaller - even smaller so if a vaccine has been developed and/or treatments have improved. Claim victory because other countries must lock down again but plucky Brits can go about their business xmas shopping etc
7. hope not too many people notice it's the 1st Christmas without mum/dad/gran/grandma etc.
8. use any reviews/"lessons learned" bullshit to state NHS current model clearly cannot cope (because it was engineered to be overwhelmed). Move to pay per use/privatisation etc.

By Abernathy
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 am
I have a theory about the current scenario forming which is a bit tinfoil hat, but I can't shake the sense it may be true.

1. offer weak advice now, stringing out not locking down as long as you can because you're everyone's mate
2. finally, reluctantly do so just as the weather starts to get properly warmer (but not too warm)
3. keep the lockdown period to a minimum, releasing everyone "into the sunshine"
4. meanwhile, have a huge, huge spike in deaths because the NHS is overwhelmed. but...
5. rapidly enter into the natural falloff you get in viral transfer in summer anyway, coupled with more of Cumming's beloved herd immunity AND the fact the most vulnerable will already be dead AND people will be distracted because yay, holiday and freedom!
6. ...in doing so, make the winter 2020/21 spike much smaller - even smaller so if a vaccine has been developed and/or treatments have improved. Claim victory because other countries must lock down again but plucky Brits can go about their business xmas shopping etc
7. hope not too many people notice it's the 1st Christmas without mum/dad/gran/grandma etc.
8. use any reviews/"lessons learned" bullshit to state NHS current model clearly cannot cope (because it was engineered to be overwhelmed). Move to pay per use/privatisation etc.

Eeek ! I normally have no time for conspiracy theories but this is horrifically plausible.
Last edited by Abernathy on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
I never thought we'd see the day I'd defend Johnson but here goes:

He doesn't look bored to me, he looks haunted. It can be possible sometimes that we see what we want to see but I seriously don't think he's being blase about this like Trump.

I actually admire his restraint. His job is to keep a cool head, a rational head and now bow to the screaming demands of those losing theirs around him. That he hasn't just dived into authoritarianism encourages me. His job is to take into account not only the physical health but the economic, social and mental health of the population. It's easy to yell furiously what he "should" do based on heavy emotion because of the trauma of the situation but much harder to step back and take everything into consideration.

Please, please, please don't think I am being blase here, or thinking I want mass deaths or that I'm not concerned about people as I have been accused on other forums but I want to say:

I am very, very concerned about the hysteria regarding forcing people into isolation from people I previously thought were reasonable and pro human-rights, who are calling for people to be shot who aren't out of their homes without a reason, who are calling for martial law and who are calling for this as "long as it takes". I worry about their grasp on reality because I know I cannot take more than three months. I don't think it will be more than three months until things go back to normal and we have to chance what happens next (I agree with Crabcakes theory) but no matter how extraordinary the circumstance and concerned we all are, I'm worried that people who were so pro-human rights and civil liberties before this are demanding way above the necessary restrictions to enforce this type of state.

I really don't want that to sound like I'm uncaring. Many thousands will die no matter what we do, it's the horrible, fatalistic reality. We cannot make the cure worse than the disease though.
Boiler liked this
By satnav
I think Johnson's main problem is that he doesn't like to be unpopular so he tries to avoid taking decisions that will making him unpopular. Through out this crisis he has ascribed most of his decisions to following the advice of experts or claiming that he is reacting to events. When he announces a lock-down tonight he will claim he has been forced to do so because the public have failed to heed his advice.

Surely when he decided to run for the job of prime minister he realised he would have to take decisions that would be unpopular.
By Andy McDandy
Running the country like they ran their student society.

All fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Piss about and call daddy's lawyer if it gets a bit real.

Don't know how many times I've said those things over the last 10 years, but at the risk of sounding like Fenton's pet trot, I hate to say I told you so.

By Boiler
Andy McDandy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:21 pm
Don't know how many times I've said those things over the last 10 years, but at the risk of sounding like Fenton's pet trot, I hate to say I told you so.
Nah, that tiresome Trot twat never apologises for his tedious copy and paste rants.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
John Crace wasn’t impressed
Boris looked thoroughly miserable as he was making the statement. Not just because of the gravity, but because even he couldn’t escape the irony. Imagine a person who has built his entire career on being economical with the truth having to implore everyone to trust him. A prime minister who doesn’t even look as if he could tell the truth to his reflection.

All his life Boris has wanted to be Churchill. Now he has met his Dunkirk, he realises he just can’t do it. He doesn’t have the leadership. He wants to be loved too much. Inside he’s a ball of foetal need. The tousled hair is no longer endearing. Now it just looks shambolic. And the mind is as confused as the barnet. He’s never come across a difficult decision he hasn’t wanted to fudge. Marriages, affairs, Brexit. All compartmentalised away into a happy place where there are no consequences.

Being Draco the Lawmaker just doesn’t sit well with him. Now the lives of thousands of people are at stake, and he can’t bear the responsibility. He was only ever in it for the lols. He clasped his hands, as if trying to hold himself together, but his body is folding in on itself. Bags upon bags upon bags. Soon all that will be left is a pool of blubbery blob, its voice a faint echo of Rob Brydon’s “small man trapped in a box”. With the odd bit of Latin thrown in. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
satnav wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:05 pm
I think Johnson's main problem is that he doesn't like to be unpopular so he tries to avoid taking decisions that will making him unpopular. Through out this crisis he has ascribed most of his decisions to following the advice of experts or claiming that he is reacting to events. When he announces a lock-down tonight he will claim he has been forced to do so because the public have failed to heed his advice.

Surely when he decided to run for the job of prime minister he realised he would have to take decisions that would be unpopular.
I also genuinely think that he does not want to do this and wants to do it for as short a time as possible.

He may be authoritarian when it comes to forcing his policies through Parliament and the courts but I don't think he is at all when it comes to day-to-day life and civil liberties. May was more authoritarian than he was, with that.

By davidjay
What did we say when he got the gig? - he doesn't want to be Prime Minister so much as he wants to be former Prime Minister. Respect without responsibility, income without having to do the dirty work.
spoonman, Zuriblue, Oblomov liked this
Dominic Raab

A friend of mine Steve Day just posted this on Fac[…]

Roll Call

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fltlECfjVvU/T_ChlaHJWQI[…]

The Sun

Four years ago it was "They're after more […]

Sir Keir Starmer

I"m sure there will be those who will now say[…]