Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 38.4 % ❤ 4.5 % :thumbsup: 9.5 % 😯 4.1 % :grinning: 35.5 % 🧥 0.8 % 🙏 0.4 % 😟 2.1 % :cry: 3.7 % :shit: 0.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
What seems to have happened here is that Cummings' influence has been broken, and been replaced by that of the scientists and civil servants. About time. I wonder how long before he's thrown under the bus?

By The Red Arrow
Looks like Crace is preparing a political epitaph. As usual, very well observed.

Boris Johnson unveils the lockdown that isn't quite a lockdown
John Crace

Better late than never as UK’s prime minister unveils measures most people were doing anyway
The weird thing was, he was only telling most people something they had already clocked long before him. It’s been the country nudging the government into action, rather than the other way round. After all, these were the sensible measures many had already taken. On the coronavirus, the UK has had two months to learn from China what was coming and to to make necessary preparations.

And in that time Boris had managed to do next to nothing, apart from taking a week off over the half-term recess to pick a wedding date and argue over baby names. Still, he must be running out of possibilities by now. What was seemingly incomprehensible to Boris was that people really were now more interested in saving their own lives and those of others than being able to have a drink and a snout with Nigel Farage, Tim Wetherspoon and other members of the Brexit libertarian death cult.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... john-crace

By bluebellnutter
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:55 pm
What seems to have happened here is that Cummings' influence has been broken, and been replaced by that of the scientists and civil servants. About time. I wonder how long before he's thrown under the bus?
I wonder if that stuff in the Sunday Times over the weekend about "who cares is a few pensioners die" might see him be used as the sacrificial lamb at some point if Johnson needs to divert attention from something in the next couple of months, or wants to pin the failures of Government on someone.

By crabcakes_windermere
Here's my sealed envelope prediction: Boris will be out as PM by the middle of next year, possibly as soon as the end of this one. He will throw Cummings under a bus to save his own backside, and Cummings will take revenge. Then he will have to face some level of second covid-19 spike as the no deal deadline approaches, also under increased pressure from an opposition leader who isn't more concerned about telling us what arguments they apparently won.

He'll resign "to spend time with his new family".

By Oblomov
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 am
Here's my sealed envelope prediction: Boris will be out as PM by the middle of next year, possibly as soon as the end of this one. He will throw Cummings under a bus to save his own backside, and Cummings will take revenge. Then he will have to face some level of second covid-19 spike as the no deal deadline approaches, also under increased pressure from an opposition leader who isn't more concerned about telling us what arguments they apparently won.

Does that leave us with PM Pob? :shock:

By Arrowhead
Bloody hell. I think I'd rather be stuck with Johnson for the next five years, utterly contemptuous bastard that he is, than end up with one of the political psychopaths in his cabinet instead.

A bit like Hancock and Morgan, Johnson merely follows wherever the prevailing political currents take him. If - and I wish to God this had actually happened - there had been a massively discernible, overwhelming shift in public support last year in favour of remaining in the EU after all, the likes of Johnson and Hancock would've been the first ones parading around for the photographers with the European flag draped over their shoulders. The likes of Raab, Patel, Braverman etc are the ones to be scared of IMO, total fruit loops who genuinely believe in all this No Deal nonsense. Gove is probably somewhere in between.
The Red Arrow, youngian liked this

By bluebellnutter

Not a bad call. Suspect in this circumstance Hunt comes in and gets the job as "the man who called out the issues with the NHS" during this current trouble. Ironically this paints Hunt as Churchill and Johnson as Chamberlain, if you like your WW2 analogies.
By Andy McDandy
If we're going for early 20th century analogies, in light of his country of birth, I'd say he had the morals of Harding, the instincts of Coolidge, and the luck of Hoover.
Arrowhead, Cyclist, youngian and 1 others liked this

By Arrowhead
bluebellnutter wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:35 pm
Not a bad call. Suspect in this circumstance Hunt comes in and gets the job as "the man who called out the issues with the NHS" during this current trouble. Ironically this paints Hunt as Churchill and Johnson as Chamberlain, if you like your WW2 analogies.
If these WW2 comparisons eventually lead us to Starmer morphing into present-day Attlee in time for the next GE, then I’ll be more than happy with the outcome 8)

By bluebellnutter
Arrowhead wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:21 pm
bluebellnutter wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:35 pm
If these WW2 comparisons eventually lead us to Starmer morphing into present-day Attlee in time for the next GE, then I’ll be more than happy with the outcome 8)
It was the work of the Attlee Government during the war years in proving they could be relied on in times of crisis which made the party look electable, so there's a massive opportunity there for Starmer (or whoever is leader, but let's be honest). Corbyn had the chance after the referendum and spectacularly spaffed it up the wall, I can't see Starmer doing the same.

You'd have thought with his brain pills he'd have […]

Meanwhile, in Hungary...

Zero. Poland would veto it.

C**t of the day

A few more contenders other than Tice in the ori[…]

Roll Call

Just had a call from mum's doctor saying they wa[…]