Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 47.9 % ❤ 3.3 % :thumbsup: 9.6 % 😯 3.3 % :grinning: 26.1 % 🧥 0.7 % 🙏 1 % 😟 4.8 % :cry: 3 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Having looked at the passenger numbers, more people use Borders Rail than I thought. 440,000 passengers use Tweedbank and 360,000 use Galashiels per year. I don't know how that breaks down by tourist/locals. Would you necessarily add many tourists by taking the line further to Hawick? Would there be much business coming from the Carlisle end of the line? I once went on holiday to Carlisle so I could take trains to places from there (Glasgow, Settle) so I'd be up like a shot if I could take a train to the Borders too. Then again, I'm not most people.

If it did bring lots of new passengers, then you'd probably need to spend a fair bit upgrading the existing section. It was built to a low spec- no criticism of that from me, given the tight budgets of the time, at least they got it done.

I dunno really. My sensors just twitch when I see "reopen line closed by Beeching" (nearly always for good reason) and they twitch more when the PM is in the vicinity.

By Boiler
I think a lot of the attraction of the line was regular steam services - not quite a full Plandampf but still a lot of them. It's also worth remembering that a good few lines closed pre-Beeching - the entire M&GN for starters, in 1959.

By Tubby Isaacs
I'm not interested in steam trains myself- if I wanted to take a train trip somewhere nice (eg on the existing Borders Rail) I'd not care if it were a Pacer. I actually quite like feeling that it's a regular functional service, with people on who are going to work/shopping. But lots of people do like to do their sightseeing by steam train, so don't know how that effects potential tourist trade.

Yeah, Beeching was part of a long trend of closing lines that nowhere near enough people used.

By davidjay
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:02 am
Total cost over £25k. Did he pay for it out of his own pocket, one asks?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog ... ture-adult
What do you think?*

*Bridge for sale. One careful owner. For details PM me.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:25 pm
I don't know much about this project specifically. The first section that was reopened has gone well, as both a picturesque tourist line and a commuter line into Edinburgh. But this sets off my "spaffing" alarm. Long section of new track which looks good when you're crayoning on a map but on closer inspection doesn't really go anywhere (Hawick has 14,000 people, but everywhere else is very small). Doubtless this sort of stuff sticks it to "Beeching", but often it's better to spend money increasing capacity where there's already a line. It must be shit living in Hawick and not having a car, but it's also shit to live in a city and be polluted to death by people who drive to work because the trains aren't regular or reliable enough.
Doing down Britain? If you build it they will come. A Scotland Office minister Johnson likely never speaks or listens to expressing 'definite interest' doesn't live up to the expectations of the headline. Johnson would offer a quote in support if asked. As he would for reopening the Fulchester to Hogwarts branchline or the Narnia to Westeros express.
Boiler wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:44 am
One of my very earliest memories of train travel is one of the last runs to Hunstanton, and I remember the very grand hotel being demolished.
Lynn to Hunny is an area of population growth and growing traffic congestion. I'm not a neutral voice on reopening the line as I'm eyeing to move that way myself but sounds a great idea. I think we've covered the Bramley line to March on a thread which every government (and Cameron unconvincingly) name drops for reopening if they're up in Wisbech. That's not a difficult project and the town needs a break.

By Boiler
youngian wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 pm
Boiler wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:44 am
One of my very earliest memories of train travel is one of the last runs to Hunstanton, and I remember the very grand hotel being demolished.
Lynn to Hunny is an area of population growth and growing traffic congestion. I'm not a neutral voice on reopening the line as I'm eyeing to move that way myself but sounds a great idea. I think we've covered the Bramley line to March on a thread which every government (and Cameron unconvincingly) name drops for reopening if they're up in Wisbech. That's not a difficult project and the town needs a break.
I thought most of the line immortalised by Betjeman is now under the A149?
The Trump Presidency

https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/12903299935[…]

Roll Call

What a lovely name. I hope she wears it in happine[…]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

And of course Matt Zerb-Cousin in joining in - […]

Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1290407682[…]