Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 48 % ❤ 3.3 % :thumbsup: 9.5 % 😯 3.3 % :grinning: 26.1 % 🧥 0.7 % 🙏 1 % 😟 4.8 % :cry: 3 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I'm looking at the plan to tax the over forties harder to pay for social care, and waiting for my Mum to pipe up.

"I just wanted to get Brexit done," she told me last December.

I'm being very patient about her fretting about me having to go back to work at the moment, but if she starts complaining about tax or anything happens to her home library service delivery, it will be pointed out that she got the single issue she voted on resolved, so what is she complaining about?
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Bones McCoy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:34 am
youngian wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:59 am
None of those figures matter if Brexit was to spur economic growth.
He's got 4 years to deliver on that.
Not looking great so far.
Nah, he's got 6 months or so. Then he's out having delivered everything he said he would, no matter how knackered or shabby the result, and will leave some other poor sod to clean up while he gets on with the job he's always wanted - former PM.
oboogie liked this

By Andy McDandy
Funnily enough both my mother and my partner's parents, when discussing Johnson's performance, came out with the same 2 lines - independently of each other. "Just be glad Corbyn isn't in charge" and "I don't think Starmer could have done any better". I've heard these two talking points a lot over the last few weeks.

The first one is moot, but the second was in both cases countered with "How could he have done worse?". Met with "Yes, yes, but let's not get political about this".

There seems to be a sense of weary resignation in many quarters. My mum bitterly regrets Brexit, but says she voted Tory in December "to get it out of the way" - even though she had said that she couldn't think of anyone more unsuitable as PM than Johnson. Aside from the BTL loons, the feeling seems to be that it's inevitable, it's awful, but somehow that it's now the lost dream. It could have been wonderful, we could have had everything, but you clever people mucked it all up so we'd better grin and bear it. We're British, we're stoic, we take it on the chin, we lose every fight but the one that matters etc. What's so bad about Cleethorpes anyway?

In a way I'm reminded of Obama's re-election campaign, during which Sarah Palin taunted Democrats with "How's that 'hope' thing working out?". That's the great thing about being a Tory. You don't have to offer hope; you just need to persuade the voters that it's a fool's hope anyway, and better to stick with what you know.

By Oblomov
The anarcho-crank in my group chat dropped a self-proclaimed truth bomb of "Would we have had COVID-19 if Starmer was in charge? Because I reckon it'd be exactly the same except 90% of the corruption would be better hidden."

It's striking to me the world-weariness of an opponent of the Tories, and if this is a symptom of post-truth politics. Adam Curtis never did expand on how after Surkov's internal campaign of confusion in Russia, Putin was able to convince people he was the solution (even though Surkov's disinformation tactics were made public knowledge).

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Funnily enough both my mother and my partner's parents, when discussing Johnson's performance, came out with the same 2 lines - independently of each other. "Just be glad Corbyn isn't in charge" and "I don't think Starmer could have done any better". I've heard these two talking points a lot over the last few weeks.

There’ll be fully aware from Boris that it would be like Venezuela if Corbyn was running the country. As their per capita death rate is lower than the UK it would be better with Corbyn is in charge.

By davidjay
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:00 am
Bones McCoy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:34 am
youngian wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:59 am
None of those figures matter if Brexit was to spur economic growth.
He's got 4 years to deliver on that.
Not looking great so far.
Nah, he's got 6 months or so. Then he's out having delivered everything he said he would, no matter how knackered or shabby the result, and will leave some other poor sod to clean up while he gets on with the job he's always wanted - former PM.
I'm not so sure about that. I think he's starting to enjoy the fuss that's being made of him. It's all still a big jolly wheeze.

By Andy McDandy
Ah but it's not fair to compare them, as they've got different demographics. Or population density. Or customs. Or population. Or shape*.

*I had this one. Mum said that you couldn't compare countries because, say, Spain has a much lower pop. density than the UK, and lower population overall. When I pointed to Germany (similar density, settlement pattern, way of life) she said something about Germany looking different.

By crabcakes_windermere
davidjay wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:32 am
I'm not so sure about that. I think he's starting to enjoy the fuss that's being made of him. It's all still a big jolly wheeze.
He's noticed the 2nd wave in Europe, knows even with a shit deal things will really bite after Jan 1st, has a potential NHS collapse coming if there's a heavy winter flu outbreak as well, no US trade deal and potentially having Biden in office meaning he has to reveal Russian deals/donors, and a potential Scotland split.

This is Boris Johnson, who can either quit 'early' and go down as the undefeated (in elections) last PM of the United Kingdom who delivered the impossible, or the PM who saw the UK split up and then lost an election to a Labour party who'd been polling 20 points below him when he took over.

I think while the sun is literally shining he might hang about. A cold, wet December surrounded by sick people facing a dismal Christmas as no-one has a job and the shops are running low, and he'll want to get off to his Dad's place in Greece sharpish.
oboogie, Oblomov liked this

By davidjay
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:14 pm
davidjay wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:32 am
He's noticed the 2nd wave in Europe, knows even with a shit deal things will really bite after Jan 1st, has a potential NHS collapse coming if there's a heavy winter flu outbreak as well, no US trade deal and potentially having Biden in office meaning he has to reveal Russian deals/donors, and a potential Scotland split.

This is Boris Johnson, who can either quit 'early' and go down as the undefeated (in elections) last PM of the United Kingdom who delivered the impossible, or the PM who saw the UK split up and then lost an election to a Labour party who'd been polling 20 points below him when he took over.

I think while the sun is literally shining he might hang about. A cold, wet December surrounded by sick people facing a dismal Christmas as no-one has a job and the shops are running low, and he'll want to get off to his Dad's place in Greece sharpish.
i hope more than anything that I'm wrong, but I see the support he still has amongst the unthinking morons who would rather eat grass than admit they were wrong over anything, and I can't see his particular sun ever setting.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:00 pm
I notice that Boris has been all over the news programmes for the last couple of days I wonder if he is planning a five day media blitz before disappearing on paternity leave for the rest of the Summer.
Credit to the guy.
His little "My struggle with obesity" bit to camera was a lot better than any of his Brexit, Covid or PMQ stuff.

Perhaps Alexander has simply been promoted above his abilities, and should be working an Jamie Oliver's sidekick.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Now Bozo wants a front figure to do his job for him. This is such a bad idea Bastani supports it. A question for broadcasters; Would these press conferences require you by law to give opposition equal air time as a response or is this a ‘government information service’?
The Tories, Generally

https://twitter.com/alanferrier/status/12910120818[…]

Boris Johnson

https://mobile.twitter.com/alanferrier/status/1291[…]

Meanwhile, in Lebanon

On conspiracy theories... https://www.bbc.co.uk/n[…]

Roll Call

It certainly seems to be making my local takeaway […]