Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 49.9 % ❤ 3.7 % :thumbsup: 8.8 % 😯 3.6 % :grinning: 24.8 % 🧥 1.1 % 🙏 1.1 % 😟 3.6 % :cry: 3.1 % :shit: 0.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By KevS
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Of course that letters a bloody spoof. "Advent Extra?" "National Inside Month?"

On a serious note, my biggest fear is: Extended lockdown until say Dec 20, relaxation of restrictions over Xmas (Christ, imagine the shops with the entire country trying to do their Christmas shopping in the space of five days), everyone goes nuts, harsher lockdown in mid January till Christ knows when.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Boris Johnson And Matt Hancock Are Being Sued For Appointing Dido Harding To Run Test And Trace

PM and health secretary have been given notice of legal proceedings by Runnymede Trust and the Good Law Project for alleged cronyism...

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entr ... Y9nqxk3Vkq

By Boiler
John Crace on PMQs today.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... parliament
As so often, what was missing among the lockdown refuseniks was any sense of what they might vote for. How many Covid deaths a day were they prepared to accept to protect the economy?
Oblomov, mattomac liked this

By Andy McDandy
Tom Bower has a new book about Johnson out. Rory Stewart tears it a new one.

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/bori ... y-stewart/
His speeches, therefore, are written not to dampen but to titillate the public’s sense of scandal, and embarrassment. Take his most familiar speech, which begins with an attack on regulations, and Health and Safety, but continues:

“Which is why my political hero is the mayor from JAWS.”

Laughter.

“Yes. Because he KEPT THE BEACHES OPEN.”

“Now, I accept,” he goes on in an uncertain tone, “that as a result some small children were eaten by a shark …”

The audience follows Johnson down the path of their shared hatred of Health and Safety, only to discover with delight that he has, apparently inadvertently, endorsed the eating of children. Johnson never poses as our better – rather he goes out of his way to exaggerate his incompetence...

...Instead of the politician who tries to impress us with knowledge, Johnson flatters us by allowing us to feel we always know more than him.
Worth reading.

By Oblomov
I notice the COVID-19 numbers for the day are yet to be released, I presume that was Johnson's doing so he won't be asked any questions about them at his press conference?

By Boiler
They were on the BBC News ticker whilst he was giving his speech - in fact, they were read out by Simon McCoy at about three o'clock but I suspect they were waiting on Wales to report in.

By crabcakes_windermere
He’s u-turned on school meals hoping no one would notice. Everyone noticed.

You’ve got to assume his MPs won’t be happy. He got them to vote for it, take a monstering, then folded anyway after they’d publicly defended letting kids go hungry.
Timbo liked this
Roll Call

Thinking of you at this sad time, Daley.

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

But I thought trade would simply move to WTO rules[…]

Phil Moorehouse's take on the above is worth a lis[…]

Shaun Bailey

Labour have referred the City Hall leaflet to the […]