Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 49.6 % ❤ 3.3 % :thumbsup: 9.4 % 😯 3.5 % :grinning: 24.6 % 🧥 1.2 % 🙏 1.2 % 😟 3.9 % :cry: 3.1 % :shit: 0.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
If the rumours about Sunak's economic assessment, and his dissatisfaction with the PM job are true, this could be him setting up a whole load of pipe dreams (which coincidentally tap into common patriotic myths) that his successor will never be able to deliver, while he runs "See what you could have won" articles from the Telegraph. Greatest PM who never had the chance to shine etc.
Tubby Isaacs, Oblomov, Timbo liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
There's not even been a proper defence review. But we're definitely spending £16bn extra, and we're definitely buying ships from Birkenhead, Rosyth etc.

This is a recipe for buying stuff we don't need, and overpaying egregiously for it.
youngian, Boiler, Timbo liked this

By The Red Arrow
youngian wrote:I think Stanley should ask for his Dan Dare comic collection back from his son. Now Bozo is turning into Kevin Pork from Whoops Apocalypse.
You just know a mail order wine firm with assets of £5 run by the wife of a tory MP will get the contract, don't you?
Tubby Isaacs, Boiler liked this

By Bones McCoy
The Red Arrow wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 pm
youngian wrote:I think Stanley should ask for his Dan Dare comic collection back from his son. Now Bozo is turning into Kevin Pork from Whoops Apocalypse.
You just know a mail order wine firm with assets of £5 run by the wife of a tory MP will get the contract, don't you?
10 years later: A bunch of squaddies running round Salisbury Plain shouting "Pyeeu Pyeeu!!"

By Oblomov
KevS wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:47 pm
He's in his element here, full of bombast and bravado, saying we will be the foremost naval power in Europe etc. (Is it 1588?)

And I can't help thinking this is probably the deadest of cats to distract us from something horrendous like Patel trying to deport the Queen or R suddenly rising to 7 or something...
I agree. Unfettered from Classic Dom's data analytics and meeja techniks, Alex is finally going to have some fun with the role and treat geopolitics like some giant Bullingdon dinner out.

By The Red Arrow
And another thing...

This isolated in Downing Street business has given Britain Trump an ideal opprtunity to sit behind a desk and broadcast all this bollocks, like a presidential decree, free from interuption and scrutiny. Now a cynic might read something into that.

Admins: At least insert 'Britain Trump' into this thread's title.

By Bones McCoy
davidjay wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:36 pm
youngian wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:30 pm
Has the PM mentioned any reason for this naval spending spree? Please not fish
See above. My money's on Brenda being sent back to Hanover.
Renaissance in Shipbuilding:

By Kreuzberger
It is just jingoistic bollocks, seeded to placate the gammon so that they can beat their chests come Jan 1st, ahead of rubbing their sore, empty bellies a few days later.

This isn't government. This has nothing to do with long-term planning. This is just tawdry campaigning by hastily cobbled together slogans. It's stoopid, plain and simple.

Here's an idea. If, like me, you have the luxury of thirty minutes or so before needing to heave your carcass out of bed in the morning, tune in to BBC World Service Newsday. Do it for a couple of days. Do it with the Weekend" programme from 05:00 to 09:00 with their guest commentators

Then go back to Today and tell us how you feel. How geed up are you by this "Best in the Wahhhld" triumphalism? Are you confident that "we" are imperiously looking benignly confident to "World Beating" successes? Then, something about rockets.

I am a thousand of your forrin killermeters (and the red light*) away from this shit and, yet, I still fell myself being drawn in.

We are forty-two days from disaster and I am not sure that "destroyers tomorrow" is going to survive this simple and brutal contact with reality.

*Bowie, m'lud, Low.
The Tories, Generally

https://c.yell.com/t_galleryFit,f_auto/4040bcd0[…]

What did the General Secretary actually rule was[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

Interesting, even taking into account my mistrus[…]

Odin in an Opel! https://twitter.com/rachaelven[…]