Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 49.9 % ❤ 3.7 % :thumbsup: 8.8 % 😯 3.6 % :grinning: 24.8 % 🧥 1.1 % 🙏 1.1 % 😟 3.6 % :cry: 3.1 % :shit: 0.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Referendums.

Clement Attlee: I could not consent to the introduction into our national life of a device so alien to all our traditions as the referendum which has only too often been the instrument of Nazism and Fascism.

Margaret Thatcher: Referendums are a device of dictators and demagogues.

Boris Johnson: Referendums in my experience, direct experience, in this country are not particularly jolly events.

Churchillian.

By Boiler
Cyclist wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:56 pm
"...Marr's aggressive interviewing style..."

Tell me, Boiler. Just how did you manage to make contact with an alternative universe?
On that theme, from a BBC SYB:
Screenshot_2021-01-03 Covid Regional rules 'probably going to get tougher', says Boris Johnson(1).png
Screenshot_2021-01-03 Covid Regional rules 'probably going to get tougher', says Boris Johnson(1).png (20.21 KiB) Viewed 512 times

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
I take it these idiots don't understand the concepts of "time" and "programme schedules" then. Or even the need for some sort of correlation between "question" and "answer".

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
In fairness a lot of interviewers seem to treat their job as a performance piece. On a par with "oh what a circus" journalism. I imagine they think they're continuing in the tradition of Day or Paxman but they're more like all the crap film directors who thought that if you stuck some actors in black suits and gave them guns you'd be the next Tarantino.
Kreuzberger liked this
By satnav
What is particularly worrying is the way in which Johnson appears to dictate the terms for any interview he has with the BBC. He will usually only speak to Marr or Kuenssberg. He is usually the last guest to be interviewed so none of the other guests can question or contradict his claims. Even the newspaper reviewers today seemed to have been hand picked to ensure they wouldn't say anything that might be vaguely critical of the PM.

I know that Starmer is due on next week but I would still have liked to have seen at least one opposition MP on the show to at least give some semblance of balance.

By davidjay
Can someone please tell me anything, just one thing, that this useless bastard has made a good job of since he wormed his way into power? I've come to the conclusion that totalitarianism might not be such a bad idea. Stalin would have had him shot.

By Boiler
davidjay wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:38 pm
Can someone please tell me anything, just one thing, that this useless bastard has made a good job of since he wormed his way into power? I've come to the conclusion that totalitarianism might not be such a bad idea. Stalin would have had him shot.
Many would say "he got Brexit done".

By davidjay
Boiler wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:16 pm
davidjay wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:38 pm
Many would say "he got Brexit done".
And that, sadly, overwrites everything else. Even though he didn't, even though the exact same deal could have been achieved two years ago.

By Tubby Isaacs
satnav wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:23 pm
What is particularly worrying is the way in which Johnson appears to dictate the terms for any interview he has with the BBC. He will usually only speak to Marr or Kuenssberg. He is usually the last guest to be interviewed so none of the other guests can question or contradict his claims. Even the newspaper reviewers today seemed to have been hand picked to ensure they wouldn't say anything that might be vaguely critical of the PM.

I know that Starmer is due on next week but I would still have liked to have seen at least one opposition MP on the show to at least give some semblance of balance.
When he ran for Mayor of London the second time, he sent Kit Malthouse to do his interview for him, because the BBC's London guy, Tim Donovan, knew his stuff.

As an aside, I've come across this story (I think this is from that election interview of Malthouse)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17893035
"Boris has behaved with complete probity throughout this issue. He was a victim of phone hacking himself."
Is that true? I've never heard that he was an NOTW phone hacking victim. Anyone else heard this?

By davidjay
It's not just him, or politicians. Every organisation now lays down restrictions on media interviews, and if you don't like it there are plenty of other news outlets who will be glad of the opportunity to talk to the Prime Minister/CEO/star player. The days when it was the BBC, ITN or nobody have gone.
oboogie liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Blair, Brown and Cameron weren’t operating in the analogue world and didn’t duck tricky interviews. Their ministers saw it as part of their job to take a mauling from Paxman or Neil. Hiding can backfire as with GMTV. Ministers are accepting interviews again after Piers Morgan wouldn’t shut up as to what gutless cowards they are. More of that please.
James Delingpole

Even by Delingpole's standards, this is batshit. […]

"Boris" Johnson

As opposed to the Half-wit House in Downing Street[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

I'd rather have him inside the tent pissing out.[…]

The Tories, Generally

I had a very good RS teacher in school he was a bi[…]