When will he resign?

Sunday (today)
No votes
0%
Monday (tomorrow)
100%

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Oh look Liam Fox thinks we're too lazy and fat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37324491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Britain is "too lazy and too fat" with businessmen preferring "golf on a Friday afternoon" rather than contributing to the country's prosperity, Liam Fox has said.
The international trade secretary's remarks, at a Conservative Way Forward event, were recorded by the Times.
Downing Street said he was clearly expressing private views.
Richard Reed, Innocent Drinks co-founder, said Mr Fox "had never done a day's business in his life".
Mr Fox, who was a prominent voice within the Leave campaign in the EU referendum, is in charge of negotiating trade deals for the UK once it has left the European Union.
During his speech to activists on Thursday evening he said there needed to be a change in British business culture and said people had got to stop thinking about exporting as an opportunity and start thinking about it as a duty.
If only British business was as hard working as Adam Werrity.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:It's hard to gauge what May is doing but she obviously wanted Brexiters to eat their own shit sandwiches rather than put her best brains on the team. And that would make sense if May didn't believe in Brexit but she does.
I think your partially right, but I still think May will look for a way out.
By Fozzy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Call me old fashioned, but I remember with a degree of nostalgia the days when, if a Minister had to resign over a conduct issue he stayed resigned - for instance Profumo, Lambton etc. Fox seems to me a prime example of why that should still be the rule. It has always seemed to me illogical that if someone has been guilty of conduct which renders them unfit for public office, the whole thing will be expunged and they will automatically become fit again after a period on the back benches. You only have to look at Mandelson to see why that's nonsense.

By Daley Mayle
Yep, and John Stonehouse and Cecil Parkinson who went the extra mile and found a religion or a good cause to remove the stain from the name.

I prefer the good old days when the shame of the dismissal led to a trip to the study with a decanter of fine 20-year-old Scotch and one's old service revolver. Bit messy but the housekeeper would sort that out.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I'm pragmatic about this take a bullet for the team and lie low but if you are any good come back when the heat is off as they say in the American films at the picture house. But Fox is not even any good. And as a Neo-Con he's not even welcome in the US Republican Party anymore. And isn't Boris a hard Brexiter this week? No wonder Clegg is looking so chipper. He was an EU trade negotiator and basking in what a fuck up they're making of it so far. I doubt if he will be offering his services. He could be like the man in the Four Feathers on his redemption mission at this rate.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Fozzy wrote:Call me old fashioned, but I remember with a degree of nostalgia the days when, if a Minister had to resign over a conduct issue he stayed resigned - for instance Profumo, Lambton etc. Fox seems to me a prime example of why that should still be the rule. It has always seemed to me illogical that if someone has been guilty of conduct which renders them unfit for public office, the whole thing will be expunged and they will automatically become fit again after a period on the back benches. You only have to look at Mandelson to see why that's nonsense.
I think the difference is that Mandelson did in his own way have skills and abilities that Blair believed would be useful to him. Fox wasn't trusted by Cameron at all and rather than appoint someone like say Gove and VIlliers May decides for what are pretty cynical reasons to appoint Fox in the desire if this all goes pear shaped to take the blame.

By Tubby Isaacs
Fozzy wrote:Call me old fashioned, but I remember with a degree of nostalgia the days when, if a Minister had to resign over a conduct issue he stayed resigned - for instance Profumo, Lambton etc. Fox seems to me a prime example of why that should still be the rule. It has always seemed to me illogical that if someone has been guilty of conduct which renders them unfit for public office, the whole thing will be expunged and they will automatically become fit again after a period on the back benches. You only have to look at Mandelson to see why that's nonsense.
Think Mandelson reckoned to have been a bit unlucky second time round, isn't he? Blair thought he wasn't worth the bother any more.
By PaulOnBooks
Membership Days Posts
Anna Soubry brands Liam Fox's free trade speech 'delusional'
Good to see the intellectual wing of the Tory party swinging into action. I'm sure noted feminist Fox will take her criticisms to heart :D

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... delusional" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Brexit leverage; terrorism and hostage taking
Liam Fox describes EU citizens' post-Brexit rights as negotiating 'card'

The Government has repeatedly rejected calls to guarantee foreign citizens’ rights, arguing it would be wrong to do so before securing the same arrangements for British nationals living in other member states.

Dr Fox, the International Trade Secretary and leading advocate of leaving the EU, told a fringe event at the Conservative conference this evening he wanted a deal that would give EU citizens the right to remain – but that it did not “make sense” to commit to it.
https://www.politicshome.com/news/europ ... xit-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard Littlejohn

Ooh, 'ello Stranger! As far as I can tell from An[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

I had skin in this game when I was a carer for my[…]

Matthew Goodwin

Final word on that thread never seen co-authors […]

C**t of the day

Evil Paddington rides again - worraloadacrap. ht[…]