Discussion of the UK Government
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28656874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So Warsi has done the right thing acting on her conscience and I entirely support her decision and applaud her for making it.

I just wish it hadn't been her. Or at least not her first.

When Robin Cook walked out over the Iraq war, it couldn't be dismissed in the same way as what will obviously happen here:

* she's a woman and couldn't stomach seeing women and children hurt - that's why we can't trust women to make the big decisions
* she's a muslim and she's proved they all stick together
* she's not 'British' enough and doesn't get British values such as loyalty

and so on. Take your pick, I guarantee some of them will be popping up over the coming days to bash women, muslims, women muslims etc. It's going to be a field day for right-wing cuntery. And in all this, the real issue of Israel acting like a complete bastard gets lost once again. Depressing.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
It doesn't take them long...
Other prominent Conservatives, such as the commentator Tim Montgomerie, pointed out that she had previously shown support for Hamas.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... aza-stance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Warsi does seem to be attracting extraordinary amounts of praise for her principled action in resigning her post over government policy.

Very odd, particularly when her customary persona is

a. as thick as a whale sandwich. See Warsi's thoughts about the role of religion in the state.

b. thoroughly nasty and reactionary - see Warsi's views on gay rights and equal marriage.

Suddenly she's a cross between Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
She's done the decent thing. Previously she did not. That's a shame, but I'm not going to not applaud her doing the decent thing now because who knows? Maybe she'll think about other stuff again as a result too.

Or maybe not. Regardless, she's raised awareness of the fact that Cameron's lot have done next to nothing and that this isn't a bleeding heart lefty thing - many on the right feel that this is unacceptable too. That needed doing. In fact, because it's come from someone with previous form for arch Tory twattery it might even have more effect than if it had come from a more consistently moderate source.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
I've never been a fan of Warsi to put it mildly, but the hysterical Tory reaction shows they're clearly rattled. Anonymous Tories slagging her off to the Spectator, Tory bloggers fretting over whether or not she's been keeping a diary, and even Dan Hodges (Cameron's favourite hack) has been wheeled out. This one might rumble on for a while.
C**t of the day

I'm willing to bet at least 98% of those tweeting […]

Local journalism at its best

I like the idea of raising alarm bells...

The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fe[…]

The latest Alexa ad has it helping a blind woman. […]