•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Messianic Trees wrote:Grant Shapps sacked from cabinet in Cameron's reshuffle
David Cameron has sacked the Tory party chairman Grant Shapps from the cabinet after a series of embarrassing revelations about his alleged attempts to mould his image on social media.

In a humiliating blow after he helped to deliver the first Tory parliamentary majority in 23 years, Shapps was demoted to the lesser role as minister of state at the Department for International Development.

Shapps had attended the cabinet as Tory co-chairman and as minister without portfolio at the Cabinet Office. His humiliation was compounded by the prime minister's decision to promote his fellow Tory co-chairman Lord Feldman to the post of full chairman of the party with a seat in the political cabinet.
International Development: Plenty of impressionable natives who#'ll be wanting magic beans and glass beads.

If that falls through, I believe the Dads Army film's looking for a stunt double for Private Walker

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Messianic Trees wrote:Grant Shapps sacked from cabinet in Cameron's reshuffle
David Cameron has sacked the Tory party chairman Grant Shapps from the cabinet after a series of embarrassing revelations about his alleged attempts to mould his image on social media.

In a humiliating blow after he helped to deliver the first Tory parliamentary majority in 23 years, Shapps was demoted to the lesser role as minister of state at the Department for International Development.

Shapps had attended the cabinet as Tory co-chairman and as minister without portfolio at the Cabinet Office. His humiliation was compounded by the prime minister's decision to promote his fellow Tory co-chairman Lord Feldman to the post of full chairman of the party with a seat in the political cabinet.
Along with the news that Galloway and Hemming lost their seats that is the best news I've heard in the last few days.
By satnav
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Shapps is keeping himself busy after being booted out of his job as party chairman.
David Cameron to protect wildlife after #CecilTheLion killing http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... on-killing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … + my letter to Zim Govt sent
I bet Robert Mugabe is quaking in his boots after receiving a letter from a political pygmy like Grant Shapps.
By PaulOnBooks
Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:Shapps is keeping himself busy after being booted out of his job as party chairman.
David Cameron to protect wildlife after #CecilTheLion killing http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... on-killing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … + my letter to Zim Govt sent
I bet Robert Mugabe is quaking in his boots after receiving a letter from a political pygmy like Grant Shapps.
"Shapps described the killing as revolting and said he had written to the Zimbabwean government to ask what more could be done to stop illegal hunting and poaching.

He described Cecil as “an icon of the wildlife world”. "

Barf. Shapps probably has a dozen companies selling Cecil souvenirs.

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
UK seems to relax pressure on Caymans over company register
The UK government appears to have relaxed its pressure on the Cayman Islands to create a register of company ownership, despite David Cameron's plea last year for overseas territories to do so in the interests of tax transparency.

The prime minister promised to introduce a public register of beneficial ownership in the UK and wrote to the overseas territories last year urging them to consider doing the same, arguing that public access to a central list is "vital to meeting the urgent challenges of illicit finance and tax evasion".
Despite further pressure from the Foreign Office and Treasury earlier this year, the position of the Cayman Islands now seems to have been accepted by Grant Shapps, a Foreign Office minister.

On a visit last week, Shapps said he believed the aims of helping tax authorities could achieved within the Cayman Islands' existing systems and argued "there's more than one way to skin a cat".*

"Now, in terms of beneficial ownership the principle's really straight forward. There needs to be, certainly for law enforcement agencies and bodies, the ability to find out who owns what in a transparent way, and not only for that information to be quickly and efficiently available so a single request could go in and the information can be provided," Shapps told a press conference.
* So long as it's not a big cat like Cecil.
By satnav
Things must be really bad in the Tory party if Cameron has finally asked Shapps to fall on his sword.

I think Michael Rosen summed him up with this little ditty.
Grant Shapps
is several chaps.
People in the
media
think he fiddled wikipedia.
Grant Shapps
never lies.
He mistakenly
over firmly denies
By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
Shapps deserved to go - for all his previous shenanigans as well as the Mark Clarke stuff.

But isn't it instructive that the state-school-poly-attending Shapps gets the push and Lord Feldman, who is equally (possibly more) responsible, but public school and one of Cameron's closest friends since Brasenose, is untouched?
By satnav
It was pretty easy for Cameron to dump Shapps because Shapps has no real power base in the party and his government post is fairly junior so it has been quite easy to replace him. Sacking the party chairman will be harder because the Lord Feldman only got the gig because he was an old friend of Cameron. Finding a squeaky clean Tory to replace Feldman could be quite difficult. I would imagine Feldman will step down in the near future either claiming he hasn't got enough time to do the job or to spend more time with his family.

By Daley Mayle
Tim sniffily dismisses the fact that only 10% of the population gets a piss poor broadband connection. If he was a Tenpercenter and trying to run his blog that requires him access to the internet for all the research he needs he wouldn't be so fucking blasé. My recent experience of Openreach is that it is very poorly managed and staffed by totally demoralised engineers and they wouldn't be able to get away with this if there was competition.

Back to Tim and others of his ilk. Just because someone is not of your own political persuasion then it doesn't mean whatever they say is wrong and can be dismissed. Even the Mail sometimes gets stuff right.
C**t of the day

I'm willing to bet at least 98% of those tweeting […]

Local journalism at its best

I like the idea of raising alarm bells...

The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fe[…]

The latest Alexa ad has it helping a blind woman. […]