Discussion of the UK Government
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Mr Shapps took to the airwaves today after he was unmasked, insisting: 'The writing is on the wall for May.

At least it was.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4uim7fCTN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Dan's off the record contacts may well be in his head but I'll work with this.
Dan Hodges @DPJHodges
Brexit supporting minister describes plot as "Remainers last throw. Destabilise and destroy May. Engineer election of a puppet Remainer".
See also Tories with no strong views on anything but are in marginals with big Remain votes. Leave voters are highly concentrated in safe seats but there are problems there. Bufton Tufton in rural Kent will open his wallet to make Britain great again but the Tories can't expect Labour Leavers in Barnsley to happily dip into their pockets to pay Hammond's Brexit taxes. I bet Mogg will accuse Hammond of deliberate sabotage when taxes go up next month.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Shapps has long been a fertile target for Twitter wits
@jg_ccpress
So now we know the identity of three of the ex Cabinet ministers plotting against May: Grant Shapps.

@IanDunt
Fact that Grant Shapps is the name most commonly mentioned around efforts to remove May is best indication she'll survive.

@StigAbell
A rebellion led by Grant Shapps. The Tories can't catch a break at the moment: even their internecine warfare is mediocre.

@LordBuckethead
When Grant Shapps says he has a list of names, there's nothing new there.

@gsoh31
The Grant Shapps coup. The Redwood challenge from 1995, with added bathos. What a time to be alive.

@AlanGardner74
Grant Shapps is Smarmite. People either hate him or they fucking hate him.

@DempseyPaul
Best line I've seen on Shapps this am. "Well, he's no Sir Anthony Meyer."
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:Who are these 30 MPs does anyone know?
If Shapps and Vaizey are involved, then it'll be the smartly dressed city boys division - socially liberal and rich as shit. Dave and George's mates, basically.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
youngian wrote:Who are these 30 MPs does anyone know?
If Shapps and Vaizey are involved, then it'll be the smartly dressed city boys division - socially liberal and rich as shit. Dave and George's mates, basically.
Interestingly, weren't that division pro remain?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
They were Remainers and if Shapps gets his 47 nominations all hell will break loose. Shapps is probably making it up and in fact has about 10. Who would they stick up? Ed Vaizey, young good looking bloke who likes art and the 21st century wouldn't be a bad option for worried Tories looking for a way out of this nightmare.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:They were Remainers and if Shapps gets his 47 nominations all hell will break loose. Shapps is probably making it up and in fact has about 10. Who would they stick up? Ed Vaizey, young good looking bloke who likes art and the 21st century wouldn't be a bad option for worried Tories looking for a way out of this nightmare.
Ten may be enough to block business in the commons - if Shapps/Green is mad enough to take a hatchet to his own lifeboat.

Interesting challenge then for all the opposition parties - do they side with the tories to preserve May and a bit of stability.
Principles may say one thing, but I'd guess a few election war-chests are completely bare.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
He's rattled Mad Nad's cage
@NadineDorries
Grant Schapps thinks he's going down in history as man who handed TM the pearl handled revolver. He got one thing right, he is going down

The plot is by remain MPs to topple the PM, destroy Boris and put a remain leader in place to delay and possibly destroy #Brexit It won't work

Strong feed back from people who think this is a man with a personality disorder. Michael Green thinks so too. I want to see the list!
By satnav
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It looks like Shapps has been given the job of going around the TV studios and radio stations to clarify why the government is suspending parliament. When somebody with a long record of lying is wheeled out to defend the government you know that the brown stuff is about to hit the fan.
C**t of the day

I'm willing to bet at least 98% of those tweeting […]

Local journalism at its best

I like the idea of raising alarm bells...

The Brexit Party

Prediction of local news on day one. Village fe[…]

The latest Alexa ad has it helping a blind woman. […]