•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Not an early April Fools
George Osborne has been announced as the new editor of the Evening Standard.

The former Chancellor will succeed Sarah Sands and take up his role in early May.

Mr Osborne said: "This is such an exciting and challenging job and I’m thrilled to take it on. The Evening Standard is a great paper, testimony to the hard work of Sarah Sands and the impressive team, and to the investment of its owners. I look forward to working with, learning from and leading this team of dedicated professionals.

“Growing up as a Londoner, I’ve always known that the Evening Standard is an institution that plays a huge part in the life of the city and its people. Now it is a great honour that I can play a part as leader of the editorial team making the Evening Standard the definitive voice of the world’s most exciting city. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/g ... 92361.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By PaulOnBooks
Membership Days Posts
Samanfur wrote:BBC News reporting that Osborne's been appointed Editor of the London Evening Standard. He won't be giving up the Tatton job, so it'll have to be subject to approval.
Lebedev, who also owns the Independent titles, said: “I am proud to have an editor of such substance, who reinforces The Standard’s standing and influence in London and whose political viewpoint – socially liberal and economically pragmatic – closely matches that of many of our readers.

“George is London through and through and I am confident he is the right person to build on the fantastic legacy of Sarah Sands.”

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
What's Martin Bell up to? Man in the white suit replaces man in the white powder. That cunt and Cameron gambled the country's future away and come out smelling of roses. They should have been fed to a pack of wolves.
Last edited by youngian on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Interesting. That should end Boris' easy ride with them...
I hadn't thought of the potential for Osborne to cause mischief with the government. I have no idea what Lebedev is up to with this appointment. How can any sitting MP be suitable as an editor?

By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
I think he's more of a libertarian entrepreneur. But very close mates with Cameron, Boris and other senior Tories. Pushed the Independent into endorsing the coalition at the election, and the Standard for the Tories, so he's only hands-off when it suits.

And now he has a sitting Tory MP - who has never been a journalist - edit his daily newspaper. I don't see much 'holding to account' of the government in future.

Edit: It begins. Staff at the Independent have apparently been told not to tweet or comment on the appointment.
By Silkyman
Membership Days Posts
mr angry manchester wrote:Cheshire East voted leave, Osborne was remain, if that means anything
The northern areas of Cheshire East, Macclesfield, Knutsford, Wilmslow, were leaning to remain, while it was Crewe and it's environs that were more 'leave'.

http://www.macclesfield-express.co.uk/n ... d-11520156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So he's an MP for a remain favouring region that is often outweighed by the bigger population to the south.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Silkyman wrote:
mr angry manchester wrote:Cheshire East voted leave, Osborne was remain, if that means anything
The northern areas of Cheshire East, Macclesfield, Knutsford, Wilmslow, were leaning to remain, while it was Crewe and it's environs that were more 'leave'.

http://www.macclesfield-express.co.uk/n ... d-11520156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So he's an MP for a remain favouring region that is often outweighed by the bigger population to the south.
I live in Handforth, which is on the extreme northern fringe, in fact the boundary with Greater Manchester is where the roundabout on the bypass near Tescos/M & S as far as I know, it was remain here, possibly the Manchester overspill estates helped?
Boris Johnson

Bum boys against Boris T-shirts! Get 'em while the[…]

The LibDems, generally

Ah, I'd forgotten that, good point. She should ph[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Jez musing on NATO today. Our role will be "r[…]

Caption Contest

Roll on thou great and horrible ocean, roll over […]