•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:07 pm
It's the entitlement thing again. They cannot imagine a scenario in which they're not in charge. And everything going wrong is someone else's problem.
And if they ever aren't in charge, it's because straight white males are being discriminated against.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
I don't know whether this belongs here or in the "Fuckwit" thread...

PM to secure Brexit deal that 'commands broad support'

...In a speech to business leaders, the prime minister will pledge to secure a deal with the EU that "commands broad support" and a majority in parliament...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47123078

I've read the article and I'm still none the wiser. HOW is she going to achieve this?

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Theresa May will try to reassure people in Northern Ireland that she can secure a Brexit deal that avoids a hard border with Ireland during a visit later.
That means an open ended backstop unless/until a permanent solution is found.
Mrs Foster told BBC Good Morning Ulster: "It is time for Brussels to have respect for unionism in Northern Ireland.

"We have heard a lot about their understanding of the Belfast Agreement, that they don't want a hard border on the island of Ireland," she said.
We voted to leave the EU remember? You're boxed in by your own red lines.

By MisterMuncher
A more generous assessment them my own. It sounded like a tacit admission they're trying to use Brexit to make the border harder than the maths on the RHI scheme. In essence, Arlene is betting the farm that only Fenians are going to be annoyed by the hard border, and said annoyance will help drive her vote. She's not thought this through.

Outside hyper-loyalist circles, it's become pretty clear that no matter how it falls in the end up, it's of long-term advantage to the Nationalist position, be that in local politics or more general constitutional terms

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
I'm struggling to understand the maths on these demographics and where the commercial influence lies, i.e. the soft power. I am working on the principle, perhaps wrongly (I dunno), that the majority of people in Norn Iron just want to get on with the future which, by definition, can only be a shared one.

At the margins, there must be a proportion of flame-haired bomb lobbers together with the besuited Armalite-players who only speak in CABBIDAL LEDDAS!!!11!"! for whom, paradoxically, a little nudge towards the turmoil of the past can only be a good thing. It makes them relevant again or, at the very least, part of the conversation and, chillingly, part of the solution in the eyes of the easily led.

Oh Christ, I feel so naive as I write this. I know that it takes only one small team to prep up a car bomb in Londonderry as well as I know that it only takes one deranged individual to run amok during a funeral. The part that I just don't understand is how fragile the peace is and how dismissed it is or isn't being.

My guess is that the cops are on top of most of it and that MI5 are on red alert, reactivating old sleepers. But, just one incident at the border, fatal or not, will see armed protection being redeployed and then the obvious spiral towards a snarling, violent division within weeks if not days.

Surely, the provisional wing of the "just make it fucking stop" tendency, who just want to get on with the customer service job and meeting the payments on the Ford Focus, will be screaming for a solution. And, the only solution can mean, according to the GFA, just one thing.

I doubt that I am alone trying to make head or tail of this and thinking that the DUP have played themselves like a tin flute..
Timbo liked this
By Andy McDandy
I fear that all of this on both islands is empowering the "fucks sake just someone do something" tendency, and that among the majority of the population, battered apathy will win out in the short term. And just as that old cartoon predicted, that will leave public discourse in the hands of the nutters on all sides.
Biggus Robbus liked this

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
May dangles prospect of UK and Ireland hosting a JOINT World Cup in 2030 - but is immediately slammed for 'cynical politics' to win support for Brexit plans
I wouldn't want to bet on Northern Ireland being part of the United Kingdom in 2030. Or Scotland.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... eland.html

By Biggus Robbus
There is a cynical side to me but the gammons have a point that Ireland may be better off leaving the EU, at least in the short term.

However what the gammons do not understand is that, if they applied the same logic, they would never have voted to leave the EU.

At the end of the day this is a historic opportunity to unite Ireland. The Irish are prepared to suffer too, as they have proven in the past, to achieve this goal.

However the English were the ones idiotic enough to change the default position. It will be England that will be the loser.

By MisterMuncher
Big Arnold wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:47 am
May dangles prospect of UK and Ireland hosting a JOINT World Cup in 2030 - but is immediately slammed for 'cynical politics' to win support for Brexit plans
I wouldn't want to bet on Northern Ireland being part of the United Kingdom in 2030. Or Scotland.

Aye, grand. I can see that working well. Ireland has one stadium that could conceivably host such matches, that being the Aviva/Lansdowne Road. I can imagine the peals of laughter coming from the GAA if a suggestion was made to use any of their grounds.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:52 pm
Big Arnold wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:47 am

Aye, grand. I can see that working well. Ireland has one stadium that could conceivably host such matches, that being the Aviva/Lansdowne Road. I can imagine the peals of laughter coming from the GAA if a suggestion was made to use any of their grounds.
Of the ten biggest stadiums in Ireland, the Aviva aka Lansdowne Road is the only one not owned by the GAA. You'd have the additional problem of FIFA demanding all seater venues - that's been done before for Croke Park, and McHale Park in Castlebay plus Salthill fits that bill, but the rest would need extensive works that the association and its sub bodies couldn't be arsed with. Beyond that, Thormond Park in Limerick **might** just be acceptable, while Windsor Park in Belfast is just 18k.
Daily Express headline today

I don't get the Express's angle on this. I would h[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

My experience of (older) Cisco stuff is... not g[…]

Labour, Generally.

Johnson brought this in. As part of his lifelong a[…]

Why does releasing equity involve having a cup of […]