Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 46.6 % ❤ 1.7 % :thumbsup: 7.8 % 😯 3.4 % :grinning: 31 % 🧥 2.6 % 🙏 2.6 % 😟 0.9 % :cry: 2.6 % :shit: 0.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:46 pm
Fozzy wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:43 am
Calling a "snap election" is hardly within May's control, is it?
Well, it really is, inasmuch as she has already done it in 2017 by meeting the provisions of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, and because Corbyn bangs on about it so bloody much he could hardly fail to go along with it.

But what makes me think the story is a load of cobblers are two things : a: In order to survive the confidence motion lobbed at her by the ERG types in December, May has already had to promise the nutjobs on her backbench that she would not be leading the party at the next election, so they'd need to switch leaders first, which seems very unlikely, and b: Signalling an election for June 6 at the start of February is hardly a "snap" election, is it?

On the other hand, the mere fact that there is some speculation about this suggests that if it might be being considered, then it's because the possibility of losing to Corbyn is, even after the fright of 2017, still completely (and correctly, in my view), absolutely inconceivable to them. The very particular circumstances of June 2017 that allowed Corbyn and his Momentum Cult to claim yet another defeat as "victory" will never again prevail.
Things to consider.

"War footing" gives the gammons a war to fap about.

Ruth Davidson out of the picture for a D-day election, unless she rides back with a tank fitted with a child seat. Things may swing rather differently in Sotland.
By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
Deselection proceedings against Nick Boles starting next week.

He was 'Remain' but said he'd abide by the referendum result. He's being deselected because he's advocated for a deal, when his local association will only accept a No Deal exit.

It's like a religious mania. Burn the heretic!
Timbo liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
They can't withdraw the whip, they may need his vote.

And this is another issue where the Tory Taliban have no positive opinions, in fact would probably decry it as PC gorn maad.

Oh, and the leadership doesn't care.

By MisterMuncher
Did they ever?

I suppose it's a natural outworking of the notion that all brown people vote Labour, therefore fuck 'em.

For being avowedly non-racist, they sure do enact a lot of racist policy. Chope is a very handy man for them to have about, because I for one don't believe they didn't know he would do it, and that they couldn't have stopped him if they really gave a tinker's curse.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
KevS wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 pm
To be fair, looks like the Tories are livid. Might I suggest withdrawal of the whip?
On the contrary can I suggest that he gets whipped? In public?
By Andy McDandy
Tories do have a tendency to be charming and solicitous of the individual, but enact policies that fuck huge numbers of people over. I could draw comparison with some Labour members.
Labour, Generally.

‘Deselect Norwich’ was among the amusi[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Anyhoo, worth a read : https://www.commondreams.[…]

Sad Faces in Local Papers

Northern Irish local newspapers are generally quit[…]

If.