Discussion of the UK Government
:sunglasses: 46.6 % ❤ 1.7 % :thumbsup: 7.8 % 😯 3.4 % :grinning: 31 % 🧥 2.6 % 🙏 2.6 % 😟 0.9 % :cry: 2.6 % :shit: 0.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Nick Timothy fails at politics so walks straight into British sport’s blazer class
Having stormed it with the Windrush scandal and dementia tax, Theresa May’s former chief of staff is now in place to look after the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... are_btn_tw

I missed that appointment but luckily for our amusement Marina Hyde didn't
Inevitable. This is simply how stuff works. I’m only sorry our denuded empire means Nick can’t be given an Indian province or something. Or at least a go on Malaya.

Nick wasn’t always the crayonner of red lines, the taxer of dementia, the shitter of the electoral bed. And, in one potential timeline, the parliamentary-maths-destroyer that ends up causing no-deal Brexit.

Nick was Theresa May’s special adviser in the home office, where they ran the hostile environment policy that led to the Windrush scandal. In the 2016 EU referendum campaign, he was an avowed leaver. Who knows whether it was his counsel that caused Theresa May to refuse to meaningfully surface to fight for Remain, to the point where frustrated campaign coordinators nicknamed her “Submarine May”. But fortuitously, Nick would soon be in No 10 as her joint chief of staff, where he squandered the height of May’s powers to entrench division rather than heal it, by writing her 2016 conference Citizens of Nowhere speech.

Within months, Article 50 was triggered, apparently without May having a clue what she wanted, let alone the cabinet, followed by Timothy shaping the red lines which have so hamstrung her during the Brexit negotiations. He pushed her to call an election, where his dementia tax turned out to be a six-pointer. For Labour.

He is at least a genuine Aston Villa fan, unlike David Cameron, who I once saw patronise some electrical apprentices with a suffering-fan joke about his club one day winning “the cup”. “Well, I can dream, can’t I?” he grinned ruefully, clearly unaware that Villa were in the FA Cup semi-finals at the time, and within a fortnight would have gone through to the final.

The following year, alas, Villa were relegated, and Nick used that moment to pen his most far-reaching sporting thesis to date. “Their lack of commitment on the pitch has been matched only by their arrogance off it,” he observed. High praise. Nick went on to lambast the Villa players for not “showing contrition for their role in the club’s demise”. If the retrospective irony of that were not already too sledgehammer, he then inquired rhetorically: “So what can this sorry story teach us about politics?”

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:03 pm
Whether or not you can see them is immaterial. The possession of books (far from being universal) is an indicator of cultural capital and has a direct bearing on matters such as educational success, critical thinking and progressive views.
Hence the comedian led campaign of a few years ago.
Memory is hazy, but something like:

"If you take somebody home and they've got no books, don't fuck them".

Pesky brane not playing ball today.
lord_kobel liked this

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:17 pm
Nick Timothy fails at politics so walks straight into British sport’s blazer class
Having stormed it with the Windrush scandal and dementia tax, Theresa May’s former chief of staff is now in place to look after the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... are_btn_tw

I missed that appointment but luckily for our amusement Marina Hyde didn't
Inevitable. This is simply how stuff works. I’m only sorry our denuded empire means Nick can’t be given an Indian province or something. Or at least a go on Malaya.

Nick wasn’t always the crayonner of red lines, the taxer of dementia, the shitter of the electoral bed. And, in one potential timeline, the parliamentary-maths-destroyer that ends up causing no-deal Brexit.

Nick was Theresa May’s special adviser in the home office, where they ran the hostile environment policy that led to the Windrush scandal. In the 2016 EU referendum campaign, he was an avowed leaver. Who knows whether it was his counsel that caused Theresa May to refuse to meaningfully surface to fight for Remain, to the point where frustrated campaign coordinators nicknamed her “Submarine May”. But fortuitously, Nick would soon be in No 10 as her joint chief of staff, where he squandered the height of May’s powers to entrench division rather than heal it, by writing her 2016 conference Citizens of Nowhere speech.

Within months, Article 50 was triggered, apparently without May having a clue what she wanted, let alone the cabinet, followed by Timothy shaping the red lines which have so hamstrung her during the Brexit negotiations. He pushed her to call an election, where his dementia tax turned out to be a six-pointer. For Labour.

He is at least a genuine Aston Villa fan, unlike David Cameron, who I once saw patronise some electrical apprentices with a suffering-fan joke about his club one day winning “the cup”. “Well, I can dream, can’t I?” he grinned ruefully, clearly unaware that Villa were in the FA Cup semi-finals at the time, and within a fortnight would have gone through to the final.

The following year, alas, Villa were relegated, and Nick used that moment to pen his most far-reaching sporting thesis to date. “Their lack of commitment on the pitch has been matched only by their arrogance off it,” he observed. High praise. Nick went on to lambast the Villa players for not “showing contrition for their role in the club’s demise”. If the retrospective irony of that were not already too sledgehammer, he then inquired rhetorically: “So what can this sorry story teach us about politics?”
David Cameron is not a Villa supporter. This falsehood has to be rebuffed wherever it appears.
By Andy McDandy
He pretended to be one as they were a top flight team but not too good, so no allegations of glory hunting. Also, the club has no great tragedy, hooligan problem or scandal attached to it. They're safe.

Funnily enough, Prince William says he supports them too.

By davidjay
Andy McDandy wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:24 pm
He pretended to be one as they were a top flight team but not too good, so no allegations of glory hunting. Also, the club has no great tragedy, hooligan problem or scandal attached to it. They're safe.

Funnily enough, Prince William says he supports them too.

There were reasons for both of them. Cameron's uncle used to be chairman while William's best mate at school was a Villa supporter and talked him into it. At least Wills does turn up to the odd match incognito(ish).

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
'I've absolutely had enough': Tory MP embarks on anti-austerity tour

Heidi Allen joins former Labour MP Frank Field on mission to highlight the poverty caused by her party’s policies
Time and again Allen, the MP for South Cambridgeshire, with its biotech start ups and affluent villages, was on the brink of tears as they visited two of the 15 food banks now helping sustain people in the east Midlands city

“I have absolutely had enough,” Allen said, eyes reddening, in front of a group who spelled out how the reforms were turning the screw on some of the country’s poorest people. “
Has it really taken so long to realise what the Tories stand for?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... erity-tour
By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
I see that Nick Boles and Oliver Letwin are facing deselection by their local constituency parties (or more technically, failure to readopt).

Because while both accept that Brexit is happening, they are vehemently against 'no deal'. As far as their local Associations are concerned, Any Sort of Deal = Not a Proper Brexit. The party of Business is now the party of nihilism. Any tie with the EU must be destroyed.

I heard Brexit described as a Doomsday Cult this morning. I didn't laugh.
Kreuzberger, Watchman, Timbo and 1 others liked this

By Boiler
On another forum I frequent, one of its members has written to Boles's CA and said that if they deselect him it will most certainly mean the end of his support for the party, as it's "entryism".

Now, where have we heard that one before?

Brexit = Doomsday Cult. Figures. What do they have instead of Kool-Aid...?

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:48 pm
Boiler wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:55 pm
On another forum I frequent, one of its members has written to Boles's CA and said that if they deselect him it will most certainly mean the end of his support for the party, as it's "entryism".

Now, where have we heard that one before?

Brexit = Doomsday Cult. Figures. What do they have instead of Kool-Aid...?
Krug, from Jacob's Cellar.

There'll be plenty more when the pound falls below 80 Eurocents.

By Samanfur
Big Arnold wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:29 pm
'I've absolutely had enough': Tory MP embarks on anti-austerity tour

Heidi Allen joins former Labour MP Frank Field on mission to highlight the poverty caused by her party’s policies
Time and again Allen, the MP for South Cambridgeshire, with its biotech start ups and affluent villages, was on the brink of tears as they visited two of the 15 food banks now helping sustain people in the east Midlands city

“I have absolutely had enough,” Allen said, eyes reddening, in front of a group who spelled out how the reforms were turning the screw on some of the country’s poorest people. “
Has it really taken so long to realise what the Tories stand for?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... erity-tour
No, it hasn't. She knows exactly what they stand for, and she votes for it.

Immediately after she made that maiden speech mauling the government for their austerity policies and got her all over the mainstream media, she then voted for the policy she'd just been complaining about. But people were too busy reporting the telegenic speech to notice.

She's done the same multiple times since. But it's gotten her known and gotten her a regular pundit slot on anti-austerity issues, so it's obviously worked out for her.

Yes, "this exists". And she helps to keep it that way.

She might be good at bursting into tears on camera, but check her voting record before you decide that she's not as bad as the other Tories.
Labour, Generally.

'Are we out of touch?' 'No, it's the voters that a[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Anyhoo, worth a read : https://www.commondreams.[…]

Sad Faces in Local Papers

Northern Irish local newspapers are generally quit[…]

If.